6 month sleep schedules?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jennycraig, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

Hi. Our identical girls will be 6 months on the 20th. (adjusted just under 5 months) They have been waking more during the night. Not sure why. We are also fighting with Hannah at night to get her to go to sleep. Last night it was from 7 to 11 of her crying off and on until she finally settled then slept until 4 am. I started feeding them cereal this week but the waking was before this. Also, did anyone have 1 take to cereal better than the other? Hannah, our little one is doing well with it and Gabrielle doesn't seem as interested. Sorry about the scattered thoughts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Normal for one child to be a better eater than the other. Five months is still pretty early for solids so it is possible that Gabrielle still has that tongue thrust reflex. I'd give her a little more time and try again in a month or so. At this age they still get all the nutrients they need from b-milk or formula.

For Hannah (great name!.. I have a Hannah too :) ), first rule out teeth, ear infection, other pain. If she is not painful it is most likely that she is behind on sleep. OR sometimes the sleep deprivations are caused by early pain/discomfort that has since resolved leaving you with a tired kid.

Classic signs of sleep deprivation are frequent night wakings, shortened naps, early morning wakings, and trouble going to sleep. Watch for wakings that occur in time with the sleep cycle.. every 45 to 60 minutes.

Sounds crazy that when they need the most sleep they do the EXACT OPPOSITE but that is what they do. In addition, some kids (aka my Hannah) get really high on adrenaline to keep themselves going. NO ONE would ever guess that she is tire since she is running and playing and laughing... until she is not, then you are about 3 days late!

So all that to say, try putting her down earlier to sleep to help her catch up. Shorten awake times. at this age the most important nap is the first nap so if possible put her down after one hour of starting the day.

If you haven't read 'healthy sleep habits, happy child' by marc weissbluth i highly recommend it! Totally changed my thinking and i have no doubt i enjoy my kids more because of it!

Oh.. coming 6 months is fun.. so many exciting things ahead!