6 year molars?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I overheard a conversation recently about 6 year molars. For some reason, it was the first I had heard of it. I guess I haven't thought much about their permament teeth coming in. I'm just too tired to Google tonight, so I thought I would come here.

It seems one of my girls (not even 5 yet!!) is breaking a molar, I'm guessing it's her 6 year molar? She told me tonight that she has "another baby tooth coming in way back here" and had me feel in the back of her mouth and sure enough, something is poking through. The rest of her gums, where other molars are likely to pop through, are also very swollen. She has been a beast lately so I chalked it up to the almost 5 year old crazies. But I got very concerned this week when it got much, much worse. :( She was an easy teether, aside from her 2nd year molars, but I'm guessing some of this week's craziness is because of this?

When did yours get their 6 year molars? Did you do anything to help them (ask if they were in pain, give them meds, etc.)?

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My twins are just past 5.5 and no clear sign of the molars yet. But like you, I had never heard of 6-year molars at all until several months ago. Now I try to blame all their spurts of particular bad behavior on teething.

They do sometimes say "My jaw hurts," or sometimes they say "My ear hurts," but when I ask where, they point to a spot that is really closer to the jaw. I figure there is something happening down there!

Mine were easy teethers, and the only ones that really seemed to bother them were the canines. But their behavior was so challenging, in general, around age 2.5, that some of it could have been due to the 3-year molars and we would never have known it!

ETA: In answer to your question, I give them ibuprofen or Tylenol pretty much whenever they complain of pain (unless I can tell they are clearly faking). It does seem to help.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow, that is an early one for her. Did she get her other teeth early (it was Emma who got hers really late, right?)? I think they usually come in between ages 6 & 7 and my kids never complained with any pain or anything (I never even really knew when they came in). But I can imagine that they could make their mouths sore or their jaws hurt. Like all teething pain, I would give her ibuprofen & see if it helps. :hug: to her, hopefully once they are all in she will be happier!

4. MichelleL

Yes, I forgot to mention that. She was a very early teether, she got her first one at 5 months and the rest have all come in ahead of the "norm" so this doesn't really surprise me. I'm going to call the dentist on Monday to see if it really is them and make sure it's not something else going on!!

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls have theirs, but I'm not sure if they have all four; I haven't checked in a while. Last time I checked Sarah had two with another in the top cutting and Allison was cutting her second. They are about a year ahead though in their teeth according to our dentist (they've lost 8 teeth already). I have not done anything special because they haven't really complained. They may have said once or twice their mouth hurts and once I found out it was molars I just told them they had new teeth coming in. It definitely has not been like when their 2-year-old molars came in....ack, nightmare.

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jazz has one so far and it's hurt bad enough to wake her up :(. Jessy doesn't have any but she's always behind jazz on stuff like this.

7. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Mine just got done getting theirs and they'll be 7 this month. At the dentist the other day the dentist noted they were there and applied sealants to protect them. Mine were late teethers and are just now losing their baby teeth (Jesse still has only lost 2 so far !)
    I would bring it up at her next appt Michelle. I know our dentist likes to seal them as soon as possible to protect them.
    Mine were also easy teethers but complained a bit when the molars grew in .. Tylenol helped.

8. MichelleL

Thanks Michele. That's one thing I read thus morning...about the seals. I'm going to call Monday to see what she wants to do and when. :good:

Thank you ladies!! :air_kiss:

9. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

So I am sitting here chillin' with Ben, and it occurs to me he was complaining about his jaw last night. I gave him some Tylenol thinking it was an earache (we'd been swimming all day). I just checked and sure enough, he has his 6 year molars coming in! All four! I haven't noticed any irregular behavior oh his part. Hannah has nothing coming in. They are 6.5.

10. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I haven't checked Peytons mouth lately, maybe that's why she's so grouchy sometimes. I will have to check when she gets home from camp.

11. TwinxesMom

Turns out jazz's pain wasn't her other molar but an abscessed tooth :(

12. MichelleL

Oh wow! Glad we helped you out. :lol:

I keep looking for reasons too. :rofl:

Aww, poor baby!!

So...3 days later I can't feel anything. I felt it for 2 days and then nothing. WEIRD. I called their dentists office and was told that it's way too early, no way it could be her molars. :blush: But then was told by the woman that molars don't even start coming in until baby teeth are loose and they start to lose them. I told her that Lauren has 3 loose front teeth and she said "Oh wow, okay". Yeah, how about that! :laughing: She did then see that the loose teeth were documented in her chart at their last visit. So she said just to wait until her next checkup and they'll see what's going on but if something pokes through between now and then to call. :good:

13. TwinxesMom

Umm Crazy lady. Jazz has no loose or missing teeth but has a molar :rolleyes:

14. MichelleL

Huh! Then what the heck is she saying? Weird!!

15. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing ! Jesse just lost his 2 front teeth and has ALL his molars and has had them for quite some time .. before ANY of his teeth were even loose.

16. MichelleL

Soo...next time I'll ask to speak directly to the dentist. :D

17. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

I checked and she DOES have 1 of the 4 already in. Hmmmm.......she's still slightly grouchy. Maybe I can blame it on the other 3 coming in????