7 year old & the orthodontist

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Katheros, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

The twins and I had our 6 month dental cleaning the other day. The dentist recommended that one of the twins see an orthodontist because his teeth are crowded. She said that they won't do anything because he still has his baby teeth, but they'll start a record of the problem. This would be fine if we planned to stay in one area for longer than 3 years, but that is highly unlikely. It's more likely we'll be moving again within the year. Yes, the records could be forwarded along, etc. but it's just one more thing to worry about when we move a zillion times.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I just don't really see the point in taking him in.

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

They always have a ton of $$$ recommendations... I'd just wait until the permanent teeth are in and take him then.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It doesn't hurt to get a recommendation to see what might need to be done. There can come a time, depending on what needs to be done, that it can be too late for certain things. For instance, if they need an expander, that needs to be done before their jaw bones reach maturity and can be before all their baby teeth are out. I know my oldest DD just lost her last baby tooth a week before she turned 12. She got her expander on when she was 10 and had it on for a year. So, it definitely doesn't hurt to just get an option and generally a free consultation. But in my experience most things are started before all baby teeth come out.

4. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Most orthodontists where we are give free consultations and free 'check ins' until treatment is necessary. Some problems can be corrected by growth modification or serial extractions so fixed appliances (braces) will not be needed later, so treatment will begin before all the permanent teeth have erupted. Other problems will require braces and even others will require both. Can't hurt to get an opinion and if you're not convinced you can always get a second and third opinion.

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We have seen the orthodontist, and like the others say, they will probably not do anything and just want to schedule every 6 month check ins to see where they are. My girls, who just turned 7, are an entire year earlier than most kids their age, and they only have their molars left to loose, and even then the ortho still will not be putting on their first set of braces until the end of 2nd grade.

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking this, I'm interested in the feedback too. :good: We were told the same for one of my girls.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Funny, my boys are 10, and have seen 2 different dentists, and they have never suggested seeing the orthodontist. My grandfather was one of the first orthodontists, and my uncle is a dentist, I would ask him before running to an orthodontist. Personally, I think they are starting way too young! My 9 year old niece already has braces, and I think that is way too young!

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I had a Frankel appliance when I was in 3rd grade because I had an enormous overbite - it was the dentists/orthodontists recommendation so that my jaw could grow into place without having to break and reset it as I got older...I had braces for a year after that (my teeth weren't really crooked after the Frankel but the orthodontist wanted to make sure everything was in its place) so I was technically done with orthodontia by the time I was in 6th grade...

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ultimately it's probably the same thing. Heck they told my kids at their 3yo appointment that they'd have to see an orthondontist! But I can see how it would help when there's only a couple baby teeth left to move teeth around so the new teeth have room to grow up correctly too. Or you can just wait and see if things move on their own. In the end it's probably the same result.

I never had braces so I'm not really familiar with them, but DD's second permanent tooth is already not aligned at all (it grew behind the baby tooth but did eventually knock it off and is now VERY slowly going forward a little), so I can see how it's easy to get dubious about the whole 'they'll align themselves eventually' thing. I'll probably go see an orthondontist early (I hate my teeth so don't want my kids to worry about that).

10. Katheros

These are the things I didn't know, thanks! Spreaders and what not.

I think I'm stuck with my parents' attitude that they are just out to get money and will slap braces on any kid. I had crowded teeth and an overbite as a kid but my parents wouldn't put out the money for braces. The overbite has never bothered me but the crowded teeth did cause me constant problems with cavities until I paid to get it fixed.

Anyway, I suppose there's nothing wrong with a consultation or two. I'll probably wait until the summer when they are out of school though.

11. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Mine were at the dentist on Thurs and I was told my daughter is a perfect candidate for early ortho. We too are married to DoD.

FWIW, they are 7.5 years.

Here it how it was explained to me. My daughter has lost 6 teeth and the bottom 4 are insanely crowded. When we were young, the dentist would pull the next set of baby teeth to make room. I had most of my baby teeth pulled so can attest to this. Fast forward, keep moving back in the mouth removing teeth, until you hit the perms. Now there are so many options to avoid having to pull. Dentist did say to wait until she lost the next 2 on top.

Best of luck!

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I went and got a second opinion...which I suggest anyone do...when the first ortho wanted to put my girls in braces immediately. Both orthos said basically the same thing concerning my girls, but one gave us almost two years that we could wait versus the first who wanted to put them in immediately. The girls have terrible overcrowding which will lead to tooth impactment if we don't have something done early.

13. Katheros

Honestly I think he's only lost 2 teeth so far? I'll have to ask him when he gets home from school. The other has lost 3 or 4. They'll be 8 the beginning of May.

I think I need to study up on orthodontics!

14. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

J had a terrible underbite. We heard all kinds of recommendations to see an ortho and start looking at solutions - even at age 3 and 4. Well, his adult teeth came in and the underbite is gone.
    I also had crowding as a you kid. But as my jaw grew, the teeth came into alignment. I never had braces or had teeth pulled. I vote for waiting a few years.