8 week check up - babies measuring 11 days apart...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by sfarmer12, Dec 24, 2011.

1. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

I'm curious to know if anyone out there had a similar situation and what the outcome was. At my 8 week check up I found out I was pregnant with twins. Baby A was measuring 11 days smaller than baby B. Baby B was right on schedule. Baby B hb was 160 and A was 110. My dr. convinced me that it wasn't likely that Baby A would make it. He said he's never seen one continue to grow and catch up to the other baby and I would have a "vanishing twin". I left knowing I wouldn't carry twins to term. I'm scheduled for a follow up appt this week, at 9.5 weeks. Has anyone ever had both babies survive when they measure that far apart? I'm holding onto hope, and just want to know if there are any similar stories out there?

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Was this your first u/s? If so its very possible that they were conceived at different times. We have several members who this was the case for

3. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

4. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

Yes, this was my first u/s...I wasnt aware that is could be possible for them to be conceived at different times!

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's what they told me happened when I had my first u/s
    at 10 weeks where they found di/di twins. The difference in size was 3 days, though, and my healthy, rambunctious boys are actually identical- 1 is just smaller. ;)

I hope your story is similar. :hug:

6. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I have a friend with twins who was told the same thing - that the smaller baby would likely be a vanishing twin. I don't recall how many days apart they were. She didn't tell anyone she was pregnant with twins when she announced her pregnancy - but she did, in fact, carry her di-di boys to term. Healthy and happy today - one is significantly smaller than the other (they are 6 years old) ...

7. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

That's reassuring :) Thank you for sharing!

8. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

Oh wow! We've only told very close family and friends our situation. Most people only know we are pregnant, especially after the Dr. didn't give us much hope of the other one surviving. Thanks for sharing! I'm nervous/excited for my U/S on Tuesday!

9. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Good luck!! Hope everything works out! We found our twins at 6 weeks bc I had a dating US done and the OB said if you can see them both on the US then VTS usually isn't a concern. Thinking of you, best of luck!!

10. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

If you dr doesn't have a lot of twin experience you might think of changing drs

1 person likes this.
  11. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Was thinking of you tonight and wanted to wish you good luck and good news at tomorrow's u/s

12. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

Awe, thank you slipper! It is very much appreciated :).

13. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Hope your u/s goes well today. Update us when you can.

14. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I'll be thinking of you today!

15. sfarmer12

sfarmer12 Member

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It turned out as my Dr. had anticipated. The baby did stop growing. Thankfully I still have a healthy little one doing well and growing strong!

16. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Baby A. Hope you have an uneventful rest of the pregnancy.

17. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that. I am, however, thrilled that B is going strong. I hope you have a smooth, uneventful pregnancy from here on in. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  18. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

Sending hugs and luck your way, and hope you have an easy pregnancy!