9 month meats & finger foods?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lbzg, Mar 10, 2011.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

So my ped basically told me that they should be eating all foods now and to just skip the baby food meats and feed them ours, ya right! so, what meats do you give and how? ive tried deli turkey meat and i made it tiny pieces but it just sits in their mouth. then i try the same with chicken breast and again it sits there. then i made plain pasta and it was like rubber sitting in their mouths. how do they chew this stuff? im scared to make it bigger cuz they will choke!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I personally would keep offering it to them... they will get it. :) Just dice it up small enough for them to pick it up. WIth their back gums they will mash up the food, along with their saliva. When my boys were nine months old, we were in Italy, and they just LOVED the table food. They ate everything we were eating while there-and LOVED it. Pasta, meatballs, etc. By nine months, my boys wanted nothing to do with baby food. We had some 'just in case,' like while in Italy and not eating until after 8 pm...so we had the baby food to feed the boys. Annabella was AWFUL feeding baby food to, I couldn't wait until she reached nine months old! I would keep offering the foods. They will get it! :) And model for them too what you want them to do. :)

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is getting over the fear of chocking--and I mean for the parents not the baby. :) I agree with Megan keep trying. Once they get the hang of it, it will get better.

When you give them purees do they slosh it around their mouths?

I found the best transitional finger food to be Puffs and cheerios, for some reason it's much easier for babies to get the idea of chewing when something is harder and crispier.

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

You could try the Gerber chicken sticks and cut them up pretty small - that was the first meat we did after the purees. But we didn't do that until around 10 months - Gabriel was a horrible gagger and couldn't handle pieces of much of anything until 10 months or more. Keep offering it and they will get it when they are ready. Now I can't stop them from eating! :laughing:

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My kids hated meat. They choked on it. Then I started offering them fish. They like fish. Lately I slow cook rice chic breast sweet potato. My boy loves the soup. They eat some of the chicken but still not much. I did mention it to our Pedi. She said no worry about meat before 1 ur old. Of they eat or great. If not it's ok. I agree they will eat it when they're ready. Just keep offering though. Good luck

6. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

i have never heard of gerber chocken sticks. where do you get them? thx!

7. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

yes, they love puffs. one picks them up and eats them and my other tries but cant quite pick them up yet. chicken and turkey are so hard to make small and i cannot imahine how you would possibly gum that. so i guess they just swallow meats?

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

They should be in the same place as the other baby food in the grocery store. They are Gerber graduates, so they may be a little separated from the purees, but they come in a jar just like the baby food. They also have turkey sticks and meat sticks, which are a mix of pork, beef, and turkey.

9. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I looked at the chicken sticks just a little while ago while at Kroger and they grossed me out LOL. Last night the babies ate pulled bbq pork, loved it. They have tried white fish, loved it. So at this point we are giving them oatmeal and fruit for breakfast/6oz bottle, 6oz bottle at about 11, nap, puffs and bottle when they get up, then bites of whatever we are having for dinner and a fruit and a veggie babyfood. the another 6 oz bottle then playtime bathtime 8oz bottle bedtime.

editing to add, that looks like they are eating non stop lol they still just get bottles every 3 hours.