9 week old twins..going to sleep but CIO?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by waitingfortwins, Mar 21, 2013.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Hi forum
    I have 9 week old twins and I've been sort of lucky to have them sleep in their crib at night in two long shifts of b/w 4-6 hours. I usually put them down after a feed and they are drowsy or almost asleep or just about asleep. Occasionally, though, when I put DS down he starts to "chirp" and whine/cry a bit. I usually wait it out b/c mostly he will stop crying/chirping or else he will escalate to high intensity crying. Is this crying it out? I try not to rush over to my twins as soon as they are crying or upset but wait a few seconds or minutes depending on what I'm doing at the moment (i.e. going to the bathroom for instance). I know CIO is suggested for older babies of 6 months+ and I don't want to "scar" them or anything by letting him whine and cry a bit in his crib after I put him down. Of course I pick him up if it escalates but anything less than what I deem high intensity I let it go on.

2. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

I go by the level of stress, there's a difference between a bit of unconvincing noise and full on crying. It's the stress hormones which are the concern. Others may disagree, I know some people seem to classify ALL crying as damaging but I think it makes sense if there is a distinction. It also feel quite sure nothing dreadful is going to happen in the time it takes to go the the bathroom! Sounds like you've got a good thing going with their sleeping, little honeys!!!

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I have always gone with the idea that there is a difference between fussing and crying. A little bit of fussing seems to allow my kids to decompress, even at a young age. It sounds to me like ypur son is fussing and not really crying so I wouldn't consider that CIO.

1 person likes this.
  4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

That is not cry it out. That's a normal process of helping babies learn to self soothe. My girls did this quite a bit - some fussing and whining, and then falling right to sleep. Whenever it went beyond a few minutes of fussing, I'd go in and help out at that age.

2 people like this.
  5. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP's.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto pp's! Cry it out is much harsher and harder. And I did it with all 4 of my kids and have 4 well adjusted kiddo's ;) That's normal fussing and them learning to self soothe themselves :)

7. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Babies cry. That's what they do. And a little crying isn't going to scar him/her. Don't let people scare you. You're doing the right thing, it sounds like and just keep going with your gut!