A breech birth!?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by chicagomama, Aug 20, 2009.

1. chicagomama

chicagomama Well-Known Member

My MD just made up for all my angst and misgivings by calling to discuss the position of the babies, Twin A being breech. He said I am a candidate for a vaginal breech delivery! Of course the caveat is that I go into labor when he can do the actual delivering b/c the other MD's in his practice would do a c-sec, but I am SO glad to hear there is that window of possibility open! He made my day... I am just in shock right now...

2. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My Baby B was breech, and my doc wanted a vaginal delivery, too. He tried to turn him but couldn't. It was an easy delivery anyway, with no C section needed. Good luck!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Really a vaginal delivery with Twin A being breech? :unsure: I have heard of it when Twin B is breech, but not twin A.

4. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

Wow, that is great news. Both my babes were breech at 34 weeks (I think), but both went vertex before delivering vaginally at 39 weeks. So although it's awesome to have a doc who will deliver a breech, I'll still send you some turning baby vibes so you won't have to worry who's on when your boys make an appearance!

5. chicagomama

It is pretty rare! My OB said that b/c I had a previous successful vaginal birth it is an option and that if this was my first pregnancy he would recommend a c-section. I am nervous, but hopeful too!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm so jealous! My docs are so uncomfortable with the idea of A being breech that I already have a C-Section date scheduled. (I would have resisted, but my Baby A is happiest breech & Baby B has been transverse since he was conceived, practically). :pig:

Good luck- I do hope your A turns, but it sure is nice having an option!

Michelle

[​IMG]

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Wow! I can imagine why you are nervous about it. :hug:

8. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

I too have only heard them delivering breech when baby B turns breech during delivery. I would prefer a c-section personally. I have heard from several moms on Twinstuff as well as my Peri that theres a risk of hemorrhaging and a small risk to the baby as well, a risk I would not wana take. Both my OB & Peri said if one baby is breech before delivery, they automatically do a c-section but if baby B turns breech after baby A comes out, then is a judgment call.

9. colleenh11

colleenh11 Well-Known Member

Hmm... I can understand why you are worried. My OB was ok with Twin A vertex and Twin B breech, and I had a previous vaginal delivery too. But my MFM was totally against it and was pushing for a c-section. In the end I opted for a c-section. Good thing I did because Twin A had a knot in her cord (that we didn't know about) and a vaginal delivery might have tightened it. There are risks to Twin B getting stuck after Twin A birth, but I've never actually heard of Twin A breech delivery.

10. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Wow you're braver than me! But I'm am happy for you since this is what you have wanted, I'm just a wimp LOL. My Baby A has been vertex forever and Baby B breech forever and my docs say they always try to turn B, that has me nervous but we will try it and see I guess. Good luck to you! Glad that your OB seems to be taking a little more time and care with you or at least this situation!! :)

11. sparkle77

sparkle77 Well-Known Member

Wow Mama! That sounds risky, but if you have confidence in the doctor then best of luck to you and the babies. I'm actually a bit surprised that the hospital will sign off on that. Here's hoping Baby A does another flip for you before then!!

12. chicagomama

I am still sitting with this whole thing, at first I was so excited and enthralled but I am trying to understand what the specific risks are. Like, if it is okay to deliver TwinB breech, why not A? I will go to him next Wed w/a major list of questions and then go from there.

13. mholmes07

mholmes07 Well-Known Member

My MFM doctor whom is very well know, respected, has books on the market and is on TLC's " A Baby Story" all the time, said theres a risk for the mother to hemorrhage, which ive read on Twinstuff that other mothers that gave birth to a breech baby have hemorrhaged. I inquired because I am soooo afraid of Baby B turning breech after baby A comes out. He said theres a 20% chance baby B will turn breech and a 5% the breech baby can have neurological problems. Its a low percent but one I told him I do not wanna take. Like someone else mentioned, theres a chance they can get stuck & they have to wantch the baby dont get stimulated and take their first breath while the head is still inside of you. Sometimes experienced doctors do risk it and everything most of the time turns out fine but if they know before hand that one is breech, I dont see why they would take these risks. My OB said its a judgement call if Baby B turns breech, sometimes he will deliver breech & sometimes an emergency c-section, but because of the risks involved, if he knows one is breech before delivery, they just do a c-section.

14. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I really think the biggest problem is that doctors aren't trained in breech deliveries, anymore. I was was born breech, as was my brother. From what I understand, the possible problem with breech births stems from the fact that feet or butts don't dilate you as well as the hard head. So there's the small possibility of them taking a breath before their head is out, of getting stuck, etc. With twins, if baby A is vertex and bigger than baby B, that greatly lessens the possibility of these things happening. And my OB (who was the twins' expert in our area) said that the possibility of complications with delivering baby B breech under those circumstances was actually lower than the possibility of complications from an "unnecessary" c-section. Personally, that sounded like the much better option. I did almost have a c-section for my baby B, because she turned transverse after baby A was born, and of course you can't have a "sideways" baby. But then her water broke and she dropped breech again and was out in 1 push/pull (by the Dr). My OB wouldn't have delivered baby A breech, but if yours has been trained to do so, that might be an option. Talk to your Dr, see how many breech births he's caught, what kind of training he's had for that, etc. Then if you're still comfortable with his recommendation, go for it. There are lots of suggestions out there for getting babies to turn from breech to vertex, but frankly I'm not sure if they work for twins. But babies can still flip, even so. So hopefully that will happen for you and it won't even be an issue!

15. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

on my Dutch twin-forum. Someone gave vag birth to both boys breech. Her first son also was breech.

16. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Yay! That's great news! Good for you!

17. chicagomama

Do you know more about the circumstances--home birth vs. hospital birth; medicated v/s unmedicated? I have scoured the internet and have found zero birth stories with this senerio so I am glad to hear it happened--would just love to know more if possible!

18. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Which hospital will you be delivering at? I had mine at Northwestern, downtown, and although my entire practice was trained in breech extractions (and the residents are still too), my doctor would not deliver a breech twin A (my twin B was born breech 4 minutes after his sister, she was head down all the time).

There's also a great You Tube video, called Natural Childbirth of Twins and Triplets ... but I can't open it here (in HKG ... due to copy right restrictions).

With regards to my home country, as Suzy pointed out, I personally believe my home country is a little too "natural" sometimes. Although I am in favor of vaginal childbirth, the large percentage of home birthing, very low epidural rate, is not completely my cup of tea ... I prefer the middle of the road! I've heard about too many friends back home whose babies have put into risk a little too much for my taste.

Talk to your doctor, express your concerns, talk about a plan B in case don't go as planned, ask all your questions, talk about the risks and make a decision. But I think it's great to hear that a doctor is still experienced enough (and willing) to deliver a twin A breech!

19. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

I totally agree with everything PP said.

There's a mom I know well who birthed her twins (both breech) at home successfully. PM me if you're interested and I will send you her birth story. If you're inclined to deliver vaginally, I'd wholeheartedly support your choice. Most breech positions are not in themselves a good reason for a c/s. More complicated and requires more skill of your doctor, but not in itself a health problem.

Good luck!

PS - Vaginal breech births get a bad rap in the US, but studies are showing that's not evidence based. Canada has recently reversed it's policy about breech babies being better off delivered surgically. Science just doesn't back the older studies up. Vertex MAY be the ideal, but c/s is not without risk either.

20. chicagomama

What is so interesting to me is that the majority of reading I have doing points to breech births being successful as homebirths w/o intervention. As I will be having the babies in the hospital I am nervous about the impact of potential pitocin/epi/forceps, etc. which seem to be behind some of the problems/trauma that occurs... This is a seriously difficult call to make and I am very eager to meet with my OB Wed to see what he says!

21. mommyofmany

mommyofmany Well-Known Member

So glad to hear everything turned out OK! Since I've had 4 vaginal deliveries previously, you'd think I would be a candidate for breech now, but I guess there needs to be more talking done with my OB.......and I was trying to also avoid an epi/spinal because of previous complications (not that i don't LOVE being able to relax and enjoy instead of the pain!!)..........

22. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

because c-sections are risky too, just in different ways. you aren't choosing between a small risk & no risk, you're choosing between different kinds of risk. this is true of any medical treatment/procedure.

here's a link to an article about the policy change.

without doubt there are some risks to doing a vaginal breech delivery, but there are also risks to doing a vaginal vertex delivery, and a c-section. it's about balancing those risks & deciding what you and your doc are most comfortable with.

i think it's awesome that your OB is willing to try! definitely ask him all your questions & go from there.

i have a friend who's twins were both breech. she delivered in hospital at 40 weeks. she & her babies are doing awesome! well, they aren't babies anymore, they're 3. she's currently expecting another. if you'd like, PM me your email address & i'll pass it on to her - i'm sure she'd be willing to share more details about her experience.

good luck with your decision!