A Happy Thanksgiving - Our girls are here at 30w4d

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by delby23, Nov 27, 2006.

1. delby23

delby23 Well-Known Member

Hello. I have been on the TwinStuff "Expecting Twins" forum for the past couple of months. My baby girls were born on Thanksgiving day at 30w4d. Needless to say, they are now in the NICU. It's only been a day since I've been home from the hospital and I can't believe how difficult it is already I worry constantly. But, the doctors say they are doing well and they have told me that it is common for premies to make progress and then to take a step back in progress. I feel like my girls were born SO early. That said:

******I would be VERY thankful to hear the stories and advice of any mothers who had their babies around or before 30/31 weeks and who have lived through the NICU stay??????

Our teeny tiny angels:

Lydia Christine
    2lb 13oz and 15"

Emilia Elizabeth
    2lb 9oz and 14"

Both girls are breathing on their own. Lydia has been breathing room air since the day after birth and Emilia has remained on oxygen, but they are weening her off of it. Both girls have been eating well. Emilia ate from a nipple for awhile, but now she has a feeding tube, which they told me would happen as they increased her food intake. Lydia is still using a nipple, but her time is probably coming for the feeding tube since she is also increasing her intake. According to the doctors, they are both doing very well! I know that the stay in NICU will be a roller coaster ride for my husband and me. I can't wait for the day that my little girls come home!!!

2. delby23

delby23 Well-Known Member

Hello. I have been on the TwinStuff "Expecting Twins" forum for the past couple of months. My baby girls were born on Thanksgiving day at 30w4d. Needless to say, they are now in the NICU. It's only been a day since I've been home from the hospital and I can't believe how difficult it is already I worry constantly. But, the doctors say they are doing well and they have told me that it is common for premies to make progress and then to take a step back in progress. I feel like my girls were born SO early. That said:

******I would be VERY thankful to hear the stories and advice of any mothers who had their babies around or before 30/31 weeks and who have lived through the NICU stay??????

Our teeny tiny angels:

Lydia Christine
    2lb 13oz and 15"

Emilia Elizabeth
    2lb 9oz and 14"

Both girls are breathing on their own. Lydia has been breathing room air since the day after birth and Emilia has remained on oxygen, but they are weening her off of it. Both girls have been eating well. Emilia ate from a nipple for awhile, but now she has a feeding tube, which they told me would happen as they increased her food intake. Lydia is still using a nipple, but her time is probably coming for the feeding tube since she is also increasing her intake. According to the doctors, they are both doing very well! I know that the stay in NICU will be a roller coaster ride for my husband and me. I can't wait for the day that my little girls come home!!!

3. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your daughters [​IMG]. Sounds like they are doing pretty well considering how early they are.. Hope all goes well and they are home with you soon! How neat that they were born on Thanksgiving!
    Lindy, mom to Stephanine and soon to be nana to
    Cameron and Corey

4. Colette P.

Colette P. Well-Known Member

Oh, my goodness! Happy Birthday to your girls!! It's great that they're breathing on their own! A Thanksgiving to remember to be sure.

Congratulations!

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on your girls! Sounds like they are doing okay. I hope that their NICU stay is a short one.

6. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Congratulations! 30 weeks is a great milestone, and sure enough, your babies sound so healthy! It's amazing they were on room air and just a little Oxygen. I hope the NICU stay is short. Take care of yourself and post pix if you have time; my little one is about 2p12oz and I want to see your girls!

Congrats again!

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I hope your girls will be out of the NICU and
    home REALLY soon!!!

8. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Congratulations on the birth of your baby girls! It sounds like you should be very proud of yourself that you were able to keep your girls inside as long as you could. They just had other plans!!! [​IMG] It sounds like they are doing very well, and I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing your birth story with us. Best Wishes!

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your little girls! [​IMG] That is a great Thanksgiving gift and it sounds like they are doing fantastic. [​IMG]

10. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

First of all - congratulations! Welcome to the twin mommy world!!

I had my two at 29 weeks 3 days. Dylan was 2 lbs 13 oz and Tyler was 2 lbs 8 oz - so almost exactly the size of your two. We spent 10 weeks in the NICU - and I didn't miss a day. The most helpful things to me, were the book Preemies - The essential guide for Parents of Premature babies - and a journal that I kept throughout the day recording all of the medication, operations, diagnosis and progress - it allowed me to be an active participant in there care - and to have some sense of control of the situation.

The NICU experience can best be described as a rollercoaster ride - both of their ups and downs, and of your emotions - but it is definately survivable - and you WILL get through it. Get to know your nurses - if you have primary care available - definately do it - that helped us immensely and made us feel better for the times that we weren't able to be in the hospital. Ask questions any time you think of them - and feel free to PM me if you just need to talk.

Hang in there! They sound like they are doing great!

11. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your girls. [​IMG] I love their names.

12. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

WOW! Your babies and I have the same birthday!!! I had a turkey cake at some point growing up. It was fun having time off around my birthday.

My singleton was a 31 weeker and he was in NICU for 4 weeks. I had gotten my steriod shots and he also was breathing room air for all but a few minutes. It was hard but we made it and he is a healthy, happy, NORMAL little boy now at 25 months of age.

Sounds like you have to healthy strong babies that will be coming home before you know it.

Good luck to the entire family.
    Merijo

13. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new babies. Sounds like they are doing really good. I hope you have a short NICU stay.

14. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Congratulations! [​IMG]

15. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your daughters! I am sorry they decided to come so early. Please take extra good care of yourself during this difficult time. It sounds as if they are both doing well dispite their size. That is great news! I look forward to pictures!

16. threetobe

threetobe Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the births of your girls!! [​IMG] I can imagine you're dealing with a lot of emotional stress right now. I wish your babies a speedy recovery and discharge from the NICU.

17. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your babies! I hope they will be able to come home soon. [​IMG]

18. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your girls!! Our girls were born at 29.4 weeks and were 2.14 and 2.8. Little girls but they did great! Neither was on oxygen but struggled against bradys and apnea (they outgrew both at 35 weeks). They came home after 7 weeks in the NICU and were 36.4 weeks gestational age when they came home.

It was tough because we live an hour from the hospital and had a toddler at home but we were there every day. We made friends with the nurses and Dr.s and I think they missed us after we left. [​IMG] That is my biggest piece of advice - make friends. It was so nice to call the NICU and know that I could ask them anything and not feel out of place. We learned everything we could and asked a lot of questions. And trust your gut. You are their parents and will "know" when something is wrong way before a Dr. will. (Sounds strange, but is true every time.)

One day the girls will be home and it will be hard to imagine they were ever so tiny. Take lots of pictures - you will treasure them one day.

I hope they are home soon!

19. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of Lydia and Emilia!!

My boys were born at 29 weeks. Jacob was 2lbs 7oz and Nathan was 2lbs 15oz. They were in the NICU for 8 weeks and now at four they are doing awesome!! It sounds like your girls are doing super I hope they have a short NICU stay and are home with you soon [​IMG]

Please keep us updated when you get a chance [​IMG]

20. Invetro Mommy

Invetro Mommy Well-Known Member

Congrats on the arrival of your babies. My twins were born at just over 29 weeks and are now 8 months old. They had a few problems in the NICU but nothing too major. Kayla had a blood infection which had us a bit worried but ended up not even needing a blood transfusion at all. Ryan had bresthing trouble at the begining but he was fine when they were discharged. It was a tough road while they were in NICU...they were in a different city, our financial situation was horrible at the time and I couldn't visit as often as I would have liked and I never bonded with the nurses as some NICU Moms say they did. But all in all I realize now I worried more than I needed too.
    Before you know it they will be home and NICU a distant memory.
    Good Luck
    Treen

21. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your daughters' births! I hope they come home real soon, and they sound like they are both doing really excellent for 30 weekers!

Also [​IMG] to the FY Board!

22. Debbi and A.J.

Debbi and A.J. Well-Known Member

We were born at 27 weeks and we are doing super!! Turning 1 year old in just a few weeks. :)

Check out our website...

BUT- more imortantly, CONGRATS!!! You did an incredible job keeping them inside of you and the NICU is a scary place, but it sounds like your kids are doing so wonderfully.

Way to go Mommy!!

23. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Congratulations! My boys were also born on Thanksgiving Day, 4 years ago. They were 31 weekers.. They sound a lot like your little ones! Connor never needed oxygen, Aaron did for a few days. Connor started with a bottle, but after a day needed to go on the feeding tube, Aaron had a feeding tube from day one... They did great, and were in the hospital for 3 weeks.. It is such a roller coaster, and my emotions were all over the place. I would start crying for no reason, would have bad dreams and call the ISCU at 3:00am to make sure they were okay, and I was recovering from an emergency c-section. All that to say, today is the boy's 4th birthday and they are happy and healthy!

Congratulations! They will be home before you know it!

24. leahplus2

leahplus2 Well-Known Member

Congrats to you! I hope they are home soon!

25. RightMama

RightMama Active Member

wow im glad i read this post!! My twins were born the day before yours on Nov 22, and I was 30 weeks and 2 days along. Mine are also off their cannulas and on room air. Neither has been offered a bottle yet - all their feedings are given via feeding tube. They have both sucked on a pacifier tho. They love their pacifiers [​IMG]

Today I was kangaroo holding them both at the same time and I swear Jackson was making a sucking noise. I think he smelled the breastmilk and thought it was lunchtime [​IMG]

Mine havent had any problems per say...no apnea or brain bleeds or anything like that. Their only real issue is gaining weight. They both dropped below 10% so they are both on human milk fortifier for the extra calories. But they started out at good weights.. Evie was 3 lbs 7 1/4 oz and Jackson was 3 lbs 8 1/4 oz. Today Evie is 3 lbs 3 1/4 oz and Jackson is 3 lbs 3 3/4 oz.

So now we just focus on getting these babies to gain weight, learn to take from a bottle and breast and hold their own temperature. Im so anxious to have my babies home. Its so painful having to leave them. We go visit once a day, but thats all i can do because I have 2 older girls as well.

Are you pumping for your twins? Hows that going? Mine seemed slow at first but is picking up. A friend suggested that sleep would help my supply and she sure was right! I was averaging 80 mL's per pumping and now im getting more - last pumping i got 145 mL!

Anyway, im glad to find someone who is in such a similar boat as myself, with twins born at the same time as mine and about the same gestation. I hope both our sets continue to do so well and are home SOON! BTW Nov 23 is MY birthday [​IMG] I really was glad mine were born on Nov 22 because they already have to share with each other, i didnt want them to have share a birthday with me too LOL I only made it by 2 1/2 hours [​IMG]

26. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Congratulations on the birth of your baby girls! It sounds like they are doing very well! I will keep them in my prayers in hopes that they get to come home with you soon!