A Holiday Gift to Mothers of Twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MaKettle, Nov 24, 2009.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Guys, I am still new at this, but here is what I know to be true:

It's not our fault: Sometimes not matter what we do, our babies won't sleep. Nap times are vanquished. Bed times out the window. Middle of the night feedings come four or five times. We have twins. And twins have their own cycles and their own systems. They ride a different wave of energy than other babies, and as their mothers, so do we.

We can still be there. Sure. Sometimes we can't hold both at once. But they love us no matter what when we offer them comfort when they cry.

Yes. It counts if you are holding one against your shoulder while he screams he lungs out, and the other one is on the floor screaming and you can only rock her with your toe.

Sometimes it's two steps forward one step back. Twice that with twins.

My goodness our back and arms are getting strong and sexy. And how about that reach? Extended, isn't it?

Schedules are only as important as you make them. Your babies don't really care that much.

Routines, however, are nice for them and you.

When all else fails, sing or hum.

And, yes, your husband is getting to be more irritating, but he'll get through it soon enough.

So many of us come here so desperate for answers, and whereas we get great support....sometimes we just need to realize we are doing something that is next to impossible. And we're succeeding.

So happy holidays to all of us. We're amazing. And so are our babies. I wish us all less stress and more fun at what we are doing.

Ma

2. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

Everything you wrote, very eloquently I might add, is soooooo true! Thanks for sharing! Group hug time :grouphug:

Our boys officially hit the 15 lb mark today, and Colin rolled over from his tummy to his back for the first time. So I am one proud mamma and loving having these little angels! :)

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Very nice thoughts. Happy holidays to you!

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I have done this :blush: Not a fun time, but sometimes you can only do so much.

Happy Holidays to you too.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:wub: You speak the truth! Happy Holidays to you too!!

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Happy Holidays!

7. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Yes, I know I'm PMSing but thanks for the tearjerker :)

8. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Amen, sistah! Sometimes I wonder how I can manage but then I remember all the amazing ladies on this forum who do it every day. It motivates me to get through the day!! I have become used to holding two babes at the same time and luckily they are only around 10lbs each so that it still doable. Will I still be able to do that when they are around the 20lb mark??? Maybe! My arms should be nice and toned by then! There are a lot of things I thought I wouldn't be able to do on my own when it came to raising newborn twins (i.e. feeding/burping them at the same time - I can manage the feeding just fine but still wondering how I can burp them both simulataneously :ibiggrin: ; getting them bundled into the stroller every day for a walk; doing groceries with them; pumping while holding a baby, etc.) but somehow I seem to do it. If I was a multitasker before they were born now I am a super multitasker!! Here's to us and congrats to all on a job well done - :drinks:

Happy Holidays! :smilie_xmas_116:

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Awww! So sweet!

Toned arms are def. plus of the the FY!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

10. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

Following on the tone of Ma's original post, I came across this poem in the most recent newsletter from my local Multiple Birth Families Association and it made me tear up a bit (seems I've been doing that a lot since my LOs were born!)

To A Mother of Twins:
    (source unknown)

A meeting convened one day
    In Heaven’s sacred hall.
    The Ideal Mother must be found
    For twins so sweet and small.

She must be patient, first of all,
    And kind and calm and wise.
    And capable of chasing tears
    Away from little eyes.

She’d have to put her children first
    And be so very smart
    Have dedication and resolve,
    A sweet and loving heart.

They all agreed you were the best
    No other mom would do.
    Yes, Heaven found the perfect one
    And sent those twins to you!

11. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

I am crying my eyes, I just printed this and put up on my fridge!

We are amazing!!

12. jbritt325

jbritt325 Well-Known Member

Oh my lord!

Loved that poem and those holiday wishes! I'm sitting here crying like a baby! Sometimes I feel so alone. Other times I feel like a horrible mother. I wonder how in the heck this is possible! Then I remember all of you amazing women who do it and make it sound easy and I am recommitted. I wish I could meet you guys and give you hugs.

Thank you for inspiring me! :grouphug: :thanks: