A little freaked- found a little blood in one baby’s crib this morning…

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by desolation_anonymous, Sep 28, 2009.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

A little freaked- found a little blood in one baby’s crib this morning…

I called the advice nurse, they said not to worry, but of course a mama still does…

There was blood in one of the babies’ cribs when I got up this morning. It wasn’t a-lot… about two spots the size of silver dollars, that looked like they may have pooled a little bit, and a little smearing. Barely soaked through the sheet to the bed pad so it wasn’t heavily saturated.

I have no idea where it came from. He has a scratch on his face, but that scabbed over a few days ago. No torn cuticles. He is teething, and the advice nurse said to look in his mouth, but I did not see any bleeding gums, bites, or cuts in his mouth.

It didn’t have crud in it- so probably not from a cough or puking? (I hope not from a cough).

He was in a sleep sack, with open /free arms, so any blood did not come from his torso or lower.

I called the Dr. advice nurse, which said to observe him, if nothing wrong nothing to worry about? He has had a cough for about a week but she doesn’t think it is related. But of course I’m still worried.

It was not the cat that has occasional bladder/bleeding problems, as she was locked up last night.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had something like that happen the first year. Amelia woke up from a nap and the crib was very bloody and it was all around her ear, hair, hands, etc. We freaked out and took her to the pedi immediately. Turns out she had scratched her ear in her sleep. We felt so silly.

Even if there is no sign of blood under the fingernails it could still be fingernail scratching. Have you felt the tip of all of his fingernails to see if any of them feels sharp enough to scratch something?

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Bloody nose?

4. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Possible that cat was in crib earlier before you put them to bed and u didn't notice it when u put your child down at night? Or maybe dry nasal membranes caused small nosebleed-maybe look in his nostrils if you find it again

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep, Rylee woke from a nap with a couple small blood spots underneath her the other day. It looks worse than it actually is, I'm assuming teething drool for her. There was no signs of blood anywhere else so I'm not too concerned :hug:

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nose? Or I've seen some pretty small scratches leave a fair bit of blood in the crib.

7. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I would suggest nose as well - my two-year-old gets nosebleeds sometimes when he sleeps - started at around 14 months.

8. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Like a pp...I found some blood (a couple of drops worth) in the crib one morning. I couldn't find where it came from and then later in the day noticed a scratch in his ear...he must have been digging around in there for some reason. That's what happened to us.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

that would have been my guess - especially if their noses are dry or even just a little cracked on the inside...