A lotta worried ...*updated 12/4*

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by MommyWannabe, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MommyWannabe

MommyWannabe Well-Known Member

Hello, my name is Kendra. I've been lurking for awhile and posting randomly. I'm 28 and DH is 33, we're expecting our first babies in February. I'm currently on bedrest due to PTL and a shortened cervix @ 24 weeks, still hanging in strong here at 28.4 weeks. Anyhoo, my OB's office called today to let me know the girls are only in the 10th percentile. They said weight wise they are good, size wise they are small. The nurse said they aren't terribly concerned just because I'm pretty tiny myself and can't be expected to carry huge babies, but that they want to monitor them closely. So far they are growing evenly, not one part growing faster than the other or bigger than each other. I, of course, am worried but trying to stay positve. It's just so darn scary! Has anyone else been through this? I just need some support and guidance as I have no idea what to do. Thanks so much.
    -Kendra

2. MommyWannabe

Hello, my name is Kendra. I've been lurking for awhile and posting randomly. I'm 28 and DH is 33, we're expecting our first babies in February. I'm currently on bedrest due to PTL and a shortened cervix @ 24 weeks, still hanging in strong here at 28.4 weeks. Anyhoo, my OB's office called today to let me know the girls are only in the 10th percentile. They said weight wise they are good, size wise they are small. The nurse said they aren't terribly concerned just because I'm pretty tiny myself and can't be expected to carry huge babies, but that they want to monitor them closely. So far they are growing evenly, not one part growing faster than the other or bigger than each other. I, of course, am worried but trying to stay positve. It's just so darn scary! Has anyone else been through this? I just need some support and guidance as I have no idea what to do. Thanks so much.
    -Kendra

3. anglinstork

anglinstork Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with the small growth...but I'm also having shortening of my cervix and it's started funneling/beaking and they told me yesterday at my appointment that I need to be on bedrest.

I'll be 25 weeks on Sunday...and last week at our growth scan u/s...the babies were weighing at 1 pound 8 ounces and 1 pound 11 ounces...

Will be thinking about you! Sending good thoughts!

4. ireland37

ireland37 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear about your worry. I swear, in twin pregnancies, ultrasounds can cause so much anxiety, but the close monitoring is necessary.

I do not have info about small babies except two of my best friends are petite and have girls who are the smallest ones in their classes. Like you said you are tiny so your babies' size would seem logical to me.

Around 20 weeks we were told our boys femurs and humerus' were measuring 'short' which for us were considered soft markers for Down's (the rest of the boys' anatomies measured 90% so this was disproportionate)....An amnio ruled out Down's and the peri just looked at me and said, 'you have a long torso, shorter legs & shorter arms so maybe they're just taking after their mom'! [​IMG]

I guess even in utero they can take after their parents. I hope you don't worry yourself too much but I know it's easier said than done. Keep us posted. [​IMG]

5. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Weight wise they are good, but size wise they are small??? My docs don't measure length or anything, they just do weights. I would think if the weights are good, then things should be going pretty well??? And if you are small, you will in all likelihood have smaller babies anyways ... nature's way of making sure you can carry them and deliver them as safely as possible.

[​IMG]

And hello to a fellow Kendra!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. MommyWannabe

We Kendra's will take over the world I say! hehe Good to meet another!

In any case the u/s tech said Thurs. that both babies are weighing in at approx. 2.5 lbs. When I looked that up on a gestational weight chart it seems to be pretty close to target weight. All my books say that at 28 weeks they should be 2.8 lbs or so ... and for twins I thought I was doing pretty good.
    I'm only 5' tall (on a good day) and DH is only 5'9 or so, so us having huge babies was never really much of a weight on my mind. Now I'm worried to death. I guess the good thing is they are growing proportionately (heads not bigger than body, or arms etc ... ) but they have never said a word up until now. They've always measured about a week behind, and baby A a few days behind B ... but I don't understand why it's just now an issue when they've been like that consistantly for the last 7 months. I'm going crazy!

[​IMG]

7. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

One of my girls, Madison, started to get further and further behind at around 24 weeks or so. She was less than teh 10th percentile, actually she was down to less than the 3rd percentile. We held out with close monitering and hospitalization at 29 weeks until 32+3...I only delivered because I had developed preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome again otherwise we could have kept going.

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I had one baby who measured small the entire pregnancy but she was fine. We made it to almost 36 weeks before needing to deliver because her growth finally slowed. Otherwise, she grew on her own growth curve so it wasn't a worry that she was small. She was healthy at birth and came home before her larger sister.

9. khendrix

khendrix Well-Known Member

Another Kendra due in February here! I am 30 weeks, and so far, so good. I have not been on bedrest or anything. I do have contractions all the time, but they stop when I lie down for a while.

I hope things go well for you. I think those weights sound great. We haven't had any growth ultrasounds yet, but we finally get one on Wednesday. We can't wait. It's the first time we find out if these babies are all right.

10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My baby A has always been smaller - and recently there has been even more of a difference BUT baby A is measuring right at 34 weeks and
    baby B is measuring 2 weeks ahead - my girls are measuring
    baby A = 4pounds 10ounces and baby B = 5 pounds 11 ounces
    I go to the doctor twice weekly - there is a 20% difference between the 2 but my peri thinks that baby B is just a little piggy! they are keeping a close eye on baby A if she stops gaining at an acceptable
    rate they will do something (I am on bedrest now) but at this
    point - she is doing ok. Neither my OB or my peri has ever said anything about there "sizes" just weights.

11. MommyWannabe

So 29 weeks today and of course nothing can be easy. Baby A, bless her little heart, has been freaking me out by not moving as much as she has been. So I call the OB and the nurse says they'll probably have me go in for a NST, they just need to decide where. The office or the hospital. They're office isn't equipped for twin testing but as she said they're only concerned about one anyways. So I'm just hanging out here waiting to hear back. I'm so nervous!

12. MommyWannabe

So I had my NST around noon today. They said everything looked good and sent me home. I was so relieved.

Flash forward to later: now I'm worried. My OB's office called around 4 to say they hadn't heard anything from the Peri or the Hospital. I told them the tech said everything was ok and sent me home. Apparently the Peri was supposed to be in to talk to me and review the results before I left. They had mentioned that when they called to tell me about the NST, but when I mentioned it at the hospital they said no, I was just supposed to have a follow-up appt. with him and it wouldn't be today. So the nurse from my OB said she'd let Dr. Chitra know the hospital screwed up and we'd go from there.
    Meanwhile I called my friend to let her know the update and while I was chatting my OB was trying to call. We don't have call waiting, so they called my DH on his cell phone at work. They informed him today was a big mess up and that I'm scheduled for an u/s tomorrow at the hospital with the Peri. He was so flustered and nervous they called he didn't get the whole scoop. He said they mentioned starting me on some new med and a few other things. So now I'm supposed to call my OB's office at 9am tomorrow to get the whole scoop and be at the hospital by 11 for the u/s. I'm so scared, I just had an u/s on Thursday and can't figure out why they want another. Obviously something is wrong. I just don't know what to do!

13. MommyWannabe

So my test today was good. They did a BPP and an internal to check my cervix. Good news there, my cervix has lengthened a bit up to around 2cm. (It was 1cm last check) So it seems the bedrest is working. I'm to continue my Procardia for contractions and stay in bed as well. The babies looked good. Baby A (Addison) is measuring around 2 weeks small, but they're just going to continue monitoring her as she's growing proportionately. Baby B (Payton) is a few days behind, but is looking great. The peri said she may have a knot in her cord, but the cord doppler showed good blow flow so far. He's confident that things are ok for now.
    The next plan of action, BPP's every week at my OB's and growth u/s every 3 weeks at the hospital. fFn tests and check-ups every 2 weeks. I also get to start iron pills today (yuck)
    So the whole reason behind the panic of today ... L&D totally screwed up yesterday and all this was supposed to be done then. Instead they just sent me home.

14. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

What an ordeal! I am glad it was nothing major, and I know you must have been worried sick...which doesn't help things!!! If blood flow looks good, then why does your peri think that their might be a knot in the cord? Is it because she is smaller? At least they are being monitored closely. With all your appts, bedREST is a little difficult!!!

15. MommyWannabe

You can actually see the knot in the cord. But at this point it isn't pulled tight enough to hinder blood flow. That's one reason I'm getting weekly BPP now. They want to make sure neither of the babies are in any distress. At the first signs they're pulling them out. So hopefully we'll make it at least a few more weeks. With the good news about my cervix I'm more positive that I'll make it longer and have bigger, stronger babies.

16. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers your way. Please do your kick counts, pay attention to if they are really slow moving or moving alot more than normal, both can be signs of distress. How often will you be having BPPs, I was having them 3xs a week once we started to have issues, and I woudl hope that you are too [​IMG]

17. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

Stay positive....

I had my babies at 34 weeks. I am 5'3" and normally 100 lbs. if I am lucky. My babies born at 34 weeks were 4lbs. & 6lbs. so even if you are small you can carry larger babies or you can carry small babies.

18. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Aye, what an ordeal ... I hope that you get to keep these babies in there for quite a few weeks yet!!! Drink lots of water and Ensure and stay off your feet (if you're not running around to a million appointments.) Keep us updated!!!

[​IMG]

19. MommyWannabe

Right now I'm set up for BPP's every week, growth u/s every 3 weeks and am going to the OB every 2 weeks. Oy! The only inconvenience is that I have to find someone to take me everywhere as I'm not allowed to drive. Not so easy when it's a 9am appt. the day after Christmas ... that's my next hurdle. My OB's office is supposed to call today to set up next week's appt for the BPP and I go in Mon. for my check-up. These last few weeks are going to be crazy! I'm just so relieved that things are at least steady. The up and down was really wearing on my mind and body.

20. JASB

JASB Well-Known Member

I understand the feeling on having to find someone to drive you. We don't have any family in the area so it is just my husband and me. Luckily, his work is flexible. I try to make the apts either first thing in the morning or last thing of the day so it is easier for him.

Good luck and keep us posted

21. funkymom

funkymom Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add something to the small woman, small babies talk. I am 5'2 100lbs normally and my first baby was 8lbs (he came early) and my second was almost 10lbs.

So I am hoping to carry some big babies in here, even if I have to get a wheel barrow to carry my belly in. [​IMG]

Good luck with all your appointments - sending postive vibes your way.

22. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

wow, you really went through the ringer! There are so many individuals involved in twin pregnancy, and they don't always communicate. I'm glad everything is okay for now.
    My babies are small too, especially Baby B, but part of that is because I'm small and partly due to placental issues. But here I am at 34 weeks!