A quick happy post

Discussion in 'General' started by Laura in Alaska, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I HS my DS who's 18 and should be graduating in May (if he does all of the work) and I'll start HS'ing pre-school for the girls after their 2nd birthday. But, my DD1 has always loved going to school, socializing with friends, etc. She's always been a straight A, honors student but now that she's in high school she's beginning to realize that school is not challenging her at all really. Tonight she told me that she'd consider HS'ing if she could do it without missing out on the social life. I explained to her how DS's program allows for dual enrollment, so she could HS to learn about the things that interest her and then go to the high school for one or two classes every day. She was really excited about that and is going to talk to her counselor this week. I know its probably premature, but I'm really excited about this conversation! I've been so concerned about her not living up to her potential because she's SO SO not challenged in school. This would make me SO VERY happy if she decided to do it!

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

How old is she? Have you talked to any of the community colleges? Sometimes they will let high school students take classes in lue of their HS courses, english comp, lit, math, history, science. There are many high school kids who do this whether they are in a tradition school or homeschool.

3. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

She's a freshman this year. She's 15. We have considered taking additional classes or adding an at-home study component. But, after going to school from 7am - 2pm, doing her Key Club thing until 4pm, doing homework and hanging out with her friends (IRL or online), there just isn't much time. If she actually homeschooled, she would have more time to do the things she really wants to do.