AAP Rear Facing Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by meganguttman, May 1, 2009.

1. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the recommendation. :good:

Mine RF in their Marathons until 2 yrs 3 mths. I would never have switched them sooner.

2. Melissatwins84

Melissatwins84 Well-Known Member

My state law says One year and 20 lbs. My Britax car seats say 20 lbs for FF as well. So yesterday we turned them around. They love it, and I don't plan on turning them back around unless it becomes my state law.

3. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

For me, it's not about the law, but about safety. We didn't switch the twins FF until they were over 2. Carys, our 17 month old, is still RF and will be until she is at least two. I don't care how much happier/ better behaved/how much they can see/ content they are FF facing compared to RF. I would never compromise their safety so I didn't have to listen to crying. But, that's just my opinion.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mel G @ May 4 2009, 11:06 PM) [snapback]1300657[/snapback]
    For me, it's not about the law, but about safety. We didn't switch the twins FF until they were over 2. Carys, our 17 month old, is still RF and will be until she is at least two. I don't care how much happier/ better behaved/how much they can see/ content they are FF facing compared to RF. I would never compromise their safety so I didn't have to listen to crying. But, that's just my opinion.

I agree 100%... I don't really understand why people risk their babies' lives just so they don't cry (but again I never put my babies to sleep on their tummies either)... Just do a google search on rear-facing and watch the videos and you'll see why rear-facing is so much safer. Maybe their legs will be bent, but at least they won't break their neck if we have an accident.

5. Melissatwins84

I let my babies sleep on their tummys since they were 3 months old, am I a horrible mother because of it? No I don't think so... they are still safe and here today. Just because someone has their children FF doesn't mean they are horrible parents. Their are so many things that you should and shouldn't do with babies. I think if Britax thought that it was a safety concern, they wouldn't put that at 20 lbs you can turn them to FF. That's jmo though.

6. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Shoot, this one always gets me. Mine are 22 and 24 lbs and have been FF for about 1.5 lbs (not sure how many months). I keep having the guilt to turn them around, but they'd seriously be in the pike position. My ped (who is ultra-conservative and always siting AAP rules) thinks the FF facing past 20 lbs is fine. I'm torn on this issue. We drive a big huge suburban and I hope that helps cushion a little, but I don't know what is right and what is wrong. Is it really safer if their legs are basically in their face (RF)? UGH! What to do...what to do...

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 5 2009, 12:24 AM) [snapback]1300715[/snapback]
    I think if Britax thought that it was a safety concern, they wouldn't put that at 20 lbs you can turn them to FF. That's jmo though.

Except it's the law... They can't exactly say that the law is wrong, can they?

I guess I just wish people would watch all the information that is available out there about RF vs FF, so they could really make an informed choice, instead of just putting their babies FF at 1 year because 'that's the law, so it must mean it's safe'.

I'll throw a couple links out there

Why rear facing is safest
    Another one
    The important of rear facing... Video

And for people thinking that after all they get rear-ended too, so RF must not be that very safe for that, here's a story.

And that's one tough... story of a 18 month old who is now handicapped because he was FF (although sadly even at 33lbs he was at the cap of a lot of seats anyway).

The information IS out there. I guess I just don't understand why pediatricians, if anyone, don't take the time to educate... I'm sure a lot of people don't know better, but hopefully now a few will...

On and for the record, a lot of children outgrow seats in length before weight, so keep that in mind too. They'll be safer FF once they are too tall for the RF seats.

8. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 4 2009, 10:14 PM) [snapback]1300582[/snapback]
    My state law says One year and 20 lbs. My Britax car seats say 20 lbs for FF as well. So yesterday we turned them around. They love it, and I don't plan on turning them back around unless it becomes my state law.

those are the MINIMUM weight & age requirements...you can keep them rear facing longer according to the safety seat that you are using. Ours is up to 35 lbs...we have the Britax Boulevard.

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 4 2009, 11:24 PM) [snapback]1300715[/snapback]
    I think if Britax thought that it was a safety concern, they wouldn't put that at 20 lbs you can turn them to FF. That's jmo though.

Or if Britax thought rear-facing past 20lbs wasn't a good idea, they wouldn't make the rear-facing limits 35lbs.

20lbs is the minimum by LAW, so I'm sure that most carseat manufacturers are going to make their carseats FF at 20lbs minimum.

10. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I turned my biggest around last week. I really, really, really don't want to turn her back around again. It is impossible for anyone to get in the back seat, including my oldest DD. She has to crawl under the carseats to get in. I know that RF is much safer though and will most likely turn her back around this weekend. Maybe I'll just put her in the backseat so we can use one of the middle seats. Oh what a mess!

11. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 5 2009, 12:24 AM) [snapback]1300715[/snapback]
    I let my babies sleep on their tummys since they were 3 months old, am I a horrible mother because of it? No I don't think so... they are still safe and here today. Just because someone has their children FF doesn't mean they are horrible parents. Their are so many things that you should and shouldn't do with babies. I think if Britax thought that it was a safety concern, they wouldn't put that at 20 lbs you can turn them to FF. That's jmo though.

Keep in mind that these are NEW recommendations. Maybe Britax will change their recommendations for the car seats that they are putting out now.

I don't think anyone is saying that you are a horrible parent. It is just hard to understand why some people make choices against recommendations that are clearly proven to be better for children. I'm not judging you... you are the parent and you get to decide. I just would never choose the minimum for my children if I can choose the maxium, especially for safety. Even when it's inconvient.

12. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

Mine are rear-facing right now, and I kind of figure once we go forward-facing I doubt we would ever go back... but I'm not in that position, and never plan to be, because I plan on leaving them rear -facing as long as possible, and at least until their 2nd birthday. Is it inconvenient? Yes, my DS has to crawl into the middle seat and it is a tight fit for him, but I make him do it, sometimes probably 20 times per day. I was thrilled to death when about a month ago my ped told me that the AAP now recommends rear-facing until their 2nd birthday. Now when DH or friends, or family try to argue with me on it (which they all do, and they did the same thing when DS was this age) I have an "accredited agency" to back me up. Before it was just me trying to explain they were safer.

13. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Fran27 @ May 4 2009, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1300692[/snapback]
    I agree 100%... I don't really understand why people risk their babies' lives just so they don't cry (but again I never put my babies to sleep on their tummies either)... Just do a google search on rear-facing and watch the videos and you'll see why rear-facing is so much safer. Maybe their legs will be bent, but at least they won't break their neck if we have an accident.

In our case, it's not just crying. Alice screams and screams and pitches a tantrum for hours depending on the length of the trip. You'd think you'd get used to it, but it just doesn't happen. Personally, I'd rather them be quieter in the car so I can pay more attention to the road and other drivers than to turn her RF and listen to her 80 decibel screech. And when she gets upset and starts screaming, he takes about 30 minutes and then he starts up with his extremely loud yelling.

Thankfully they're really tall and I'm pretty sure close to the height limit for our car seats RF anyway. They probably won't hit the weight limit for another two years at the rate they're gaining weight.

14. Melissatwins84

QUOTE(Fran27 @ May 5 2009, 05:20 AM) [snapback]1300803[/snapback]
    Except it's the law... They can't exactly say that the law is wrong, can they?

Except it is not the law, it is a recommendation. I'll be asking my pedi what he thinks on their one year appointment visit tomorrow. I highly value his opinion, and if he thinks it is not safe, then I will turn them back around, but if he thinks that it is ok, then we will be keeping them FF.

15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 5 2009, 11:48 AM) [snapback]1301159[/snapback]
    Except it is not the law, it is a recommendation. I'll be asking my pedi what he thinks on their one year appointment visit tomorrow. I highly value his opinion, and if he thinks it is not safe, then I will turn them back around, but if he thinks that it is ok, then we will be keeping them FF.

It is the law for the one year/20lbs limit. Either way, I think you are taking the right approach and talking to a medical professional you trust and value. I watched that video when the boys were 10 months and knew I wouldn't be turning them around for a while, but I also decided that I wouldn't let them sit like that when they are 3 or 4. It's an individual decision and I think we just want to make sure that everyone has all the information out there. I really had no idea it was safer until I saw that video and it just made sense to me.

16. Melissatwins84

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 5 2009, 10:52 AM) [snapback]1301170[/snapback]
    It is the law for the one year/20lbs limit.

And that is the law I followed. They are one year old and 22lbs. It is a personal decision, just like with every other thing people tell you not to do because of safety reasons... like letting babies sleep on their tummys. When we were babies, our parents were told to keep us on our tummies. All these things change. Sometimes I think you just need to do what you feel right as a parent. RF mommies are not wrong, and FF mommies are not wrong. It is a personal decision. And I thank you for bringing to light the information that people need to make an informed decision.

17. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 5 2009, 12:03 PM) [snapback]1301187[/snapback]
    When we were babies, our parents were told to keep us on our tummies. All these things change.

They change thanks to research. What's the point of research if nobody cares about what they find out?

There are a lot of good reasons to go FF or RF and let babies sleep on their tummies or not, but I have to wonder about the motivations of people who use the 'recommendations might change' argument. Isn't our job as a parent to keep ourselves informed to do what's best for our children?

To the PP who quote me - what I meant is that Britax really can't tell their customers to keep their children RF until they are 35 lb when the law states you can turn them around at 20 lb.

18. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

To turn or not to turn is a personal family decision.
    Every family will do what works for them and every family is not the same.
    It is impossible for everyone to agree on this issue, so we need remember to agree to disagree! :good:

I think the information of new laws is a great thing to share and will benefit many!!

19. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

QUOTE(tamaras @ May 5 2009, 01:31 PM) [snapback]1301313[/snapback]
    To turn or not to turn is a personal family decision.
    Every family will do what works for them and every family is not the same.
    It is impossible for everyone to agree on this issue, so we need remember to agree to disagree! :good:

I think the information of new laws is a great thing to share and will benefit many!!

Thanks for this reminder Tamara! Everyone does what they think is best for their children so lets please not judge each other for our choices. :)

20. Melissatwins84

QUOTE(Leighann @ May 5 2009, 12:51 PM) [snapback]1301353[/snapback]
    Thanks for this reminder Tamara! Everyone does what they think is best for their children so lets please not judge each other for our choices. :)

I completely agree 100%!

21. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

FWIW, my guys are 25 months now, and I had thought about FF them when they turned two based on how much they weighed at their 2 year visit. When they only weighed 28 lbs, I couldn't get past the fact that they could be riding in a safer position for another 7 pounds, which could take several more months (if not close to a year) to reach. They're tall for their age (DH is 6'5") so yeah, their legs are a little scrunched, but couldn't forgive myself if I turned them early and they had a neck or back injury! They don't seem to mind riding RF- they protest getting into their seats at times, but once they're in, they're typically pretty content. DH would like the extra leg room, but again, I just think of those sweet little necks.... They'll be RF for a good while longer!

22. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

How can you say they will change their minds over this recommendation? This cannot be compared to tummy vs back sleeping. It is a simple law of physics. An object in motion tends to stay in motion. So if your vehicle going in a forward direction comes to an unexpected stop all contents of that vehicle including your children will continue to move in a forward direction. So unless you strap every part of your kids body in while forward facing their head will launch forward while the bulk of their body is restrained causing unecessary force on their neck/spine/brain. If your child is rear facing in a properly padded seat then they will be flung deeper in to their seat should the car come to an unexpected stop. The laws of physics are there.. you cannot say rear facing isn't safer and the verdict could be changed on it. OK if you want to forward face anyway but just realize the risk you are taking and if you are OK with that then that is your decision. Watch the videos on the crash tests.. they may make you change your mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8
    The test crashes are 1minute 40 seconds in.. worth a look.

23. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(eatcelery @ May 5 2009, 02:55 PM) [snapback]1301444[/snapback]
    OK if you want to forward face anyway but just realize the risk you are taking and if you are OK with that then that is your decision.

I am pretty sure that sums it up. It's up to each and every one of us as parents to make the decision about what we want to do with the information presented to us.

24. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Melissatwins84 @ May 5 2009, 12:03 PM) [snapback]1301187[/snapback]
    And that is the law I followed. They are one year old and 22lbs. It is a personal decision, just like with every other thing people tell you not to do because of safety reasons... like letting babies sleep on their tummys. When we were babies, our parents were told to keep us on our tummies. All these things change. Sometimes I think you just need to do what you feel right as a parent. RF mommies are not wrong, and FF mommies are not wrong. It is a personal decision. And I thank you for bringing to light the information that people need to make an informed decision.

FYI, there are only 14 states that have a law that babies must be rear-facing until age 1 and 20 pounds. Texas is not one of them, so technically you could have had them forward-facing since birth, as long as they were in car seats. Laws are fairly arbitrary, IMHO. I don't think anyone would argue that the government is always looking out for our best interests. ;)

For what it's worth, it's not just a weight issue. It's more about the proportion of head size to body size. The younger the child, the larger the head is in comparison to the body -- and the more it will snap forward in any accident, increasing the chances of serious injury. I don't think anyone will dispute this, despite what current laws or recommendations happen to be.

Of course, it's still a personal decision. We all decide what level of risk we're willing to take with our babies.

25. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

QUOTE(girls! @ May 5 2009, 02:48 AM) [snapback]1300778[/snapback]
    We drive a big huge suburban and I hope that helps cushion a little, but I don't know what is right and what is wrong. Is it really safer if their legs are basically in their face (RF)? UGH! What to do...what to do...

Whiplash is the same no matter what vehicle you are in. Yes being in a suburban would slightly lessen the possiblity of being flattened in a crash but it won't affect whiplash. Look at the video link I posted above and I also did additional research to see if that video was correct and it was. There is no documentation of any kid ever having a leg injury from riding that way. Frankly I'd rather my kid have a broken leg than a neck or brain injury anyhow. But from stopping short you get flung forward and riding backwards is going keep you safer. I think even adult seats except the driver should be rear facing.

26. Melissatwins84

Well I personally don't know what the laws are, I just asked this TX forum I am a part of where I can find the info, and this is the site that was posted Visit My Website"]Tx department of public safety[/url]. Anyways my hubby and I had a talk about it, and we decided to switch them back to RF.

27. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I reluctantly turned Mallory back to RF today. My oldest complained but she'll get used to crawling under the seat again. I sure wish FF were as safe but it's not worth it to have her FF. One of these days we'll be able to access the back seat of the van!

28. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

mine were rear-facing until DS reached the weight limit for it in january. i then turned both of them around, at 19 months. i won't be switching them back, though....

29. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 1 2009, 08:29 AM) [snapback]1296100[/snapback]
    We kept the boys rear facing when they turned one b/c they weren't 20lbs yet. Now they are just 23lbs and they are still happy rear facing so I wasn't going to move them. But it got me thinking about those of you who already moved your babies forward facing. After the new recommendations from the AAP will you turn your child rear facing again?

I don't think it is new information that it's safest to keep your child rear facing as long as possible. That said, my 15 month olds were miserable rear facing, and I do not intend to turn them back around.

30. rrodman

QUOTE(MissyEby @ May 5 2009, 08:36 AM) [snapback]1300895[/snapback]
    those are the MINIMUM weight & age requirements...you can keep them rear facing longer according to the safety seat that you are using. Ours is up to 35 lbs...we have the Britax Boulevard.

We have the same seats. Rear facing they tether into the ceiling in my SUV or over the back of the seats to the floor in the van. They are 22 and 24 pounds basically, and it was getting extremely difficult lifting them over the tether straps into the seats. I dropped Jack a little trying to do it one day. Those straps really ended up making our decision to turn them around FF.

31. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I asked my Ped today at our 18 mo appt. He said they are fine to turn around. I asked him about the AAP rec and he said yes he knows, but he also just told me peanut butter was ok at 2, but the AAP says wait until 3.

It got me thinking about all the things the AAP recommends that parents debate about and peds don't or do follow. Vaccinations were the first to come to mind.

Regardless, mine are still RF for now. It's a pita, but we're still RF.

32. rrodman

QUOTE(*Sully* @ May 8 2009, 02:15 PM) [snapback]1305850[/snapback]
    I asked my Ped today at our 18 mo appt. He said they are fine to turn around. I asked him about the AAP rec and he said yes he knows, but he also just told me peanut butter was ok at 2, but the AAP says wait until 3.

It got me thinking about all the things the AAP recommends that parents debate about and peds don't or do follow. Vaccinations were the first to come to mind.

Regardless, mine are still RF for now. It's a pita, but we're still RF.

It's interesting you post this. While I think the AAP research on carseats is sound and supported, more and more the PB research shows that waiting can actually be bad. There are vastly fewer peanut allergies in populations who have early exposure. We waited to a year, but there is no way I would wait until 3. Mine were probably 13 months, and I maintain that it's actually better for them.

Now, I'm militantly pro-vaccine, so I'll leave that one alone. :)

33. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Mom to Jack and Anna @ May 8 2009, 02:17 PM) [snapback]1305857[/snapback]
    It's interesting you post this. While I think the AAP research on carseats is sound and supported, more and more the PB research shows that waiting can actually be bad. There are vastly fewer peanut allergies in populations who have early exposure. We waited to a year, but there is no way I would wait until 3. Mine were probably 13 months, and I maintain that it's actually better for them.

Now, I'm militantly pro-vaccine, so I'll leave that one alone. :)

Yeah-when we saw the pedi at the boys 9 month appt-he said we could have the boys try all those "forbidden" allergy foods-eggs, strawberries, etc. Because my nephew has an allergy to cashews, he said maybe to wait a bit(we waited til 11 months), but you could argue the cashew is a tree nut and a peanut is not. I too agree that keeping kids away from these foods does more harm than good. But I am no Dr. Just my opinion

As for carseats, I'll talk to the pedi about it-but there is no way I am turning them around and having my son throw up everywhere every time we go somewhere that is of distance.

34. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I am glad you posted this because I feel like we were the only ones that were still RF and everyone we know IRL is shocked that they are. DD is just now 20lbs so I wouldn't have done it anyway. I tell others that my seats go up to 30 lbs and that is how long they will be staying RF or until they are bending their legs from sitting that way. I think it is a personal decision for everyone and you just have to do what works for you. For us it is RF until at least 30lbs!

35. Melissatwins84

I forgot to ask my pedi at their one year appointment about the car seat thing.

And OMGoodness you got me freaking out about the peanut butter thing, but then I read more. I thought it was ok at 1, so I did give it to them the day after their b-day on some toast (they did fine). Now they are saying 2 or 3?