About how much solids do your 8-9 month olds eat

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rajeshris, Jan 8, 2010.

1. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

So we are going to add a 3rd meal now and just wondering about how many ounces (or containers) of baby food yours ate around 8-9 months. We try to give them one container for each meal (or yogurt) (stage 2) and we add rice or oatmeal also. One of my DS probably finishes most of them at each meal--the other probably finishes a total of 2. I am trying to add some puffs and stuff to the lunch to add some finger foods, but they aren't eating enough to count it.

Just trying to see if there is a "normal" range of ounces.....or what yours ate in addition to how many ounces of milk.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

From what I remember my girls always shared a container of baby food, so they each got 1/2 of a container. Sometimes if I offered a 2nd container of something different I could get them to each eat an entire container. Mine were not big on baby food.

3. krisdeb04

krisdeb04 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much cereal they eat in the morning, I usually mix it with 1/2 a banana or a few tsp of peaches or pears. They usually share a container of veggies & fruit around lunchtime, so they eat about one container each. I just started the 3rd meal but they usually only share one container, they don't seem to be really hungry then.

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

At that age mine shared 4-5 cubes of frozen baby food (although it was getting hard to get them to eat it). They were starting to eat a lot of finger foods at that age. We were mostly off of baby food at about 9-10 months.

5. JenKik

JenKik Well-Known Member

My little chick-a-dee's are about to be 9 months old. I feed them 3 meals a day and they get bottles in between. They almost always finish a jar/container each and their bottles are either 6 or 8 oz each time, depends on how hungry or sleepy they are. They're little piggies!

6. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

Right now the boys eat 2 meals a day and they will be eating a third in a couple of weeks. This is what they eat now:
    AM: 5oz of fruit with 4 tbsp of cereal
    PM: 6oz of veggies with 2 tbsp of cereal and 2oz of fruit for dessert!

That is the amount for each boy. They are over 25 pounds now!!

Jenn

7. goofyjilly

goofyjilly Well-Known Member

My boy/girl twins just turned 7 months on the 1st and they eat A LOT!!!!!!!!!! I just started 3 meals a day about 1 week ago and wow they demand their meals now! My boy definitely eats a whole container of food himself as well as a scoop of rice cereal mixed in. My girl (who is almost 7 lbs smaller) doesn't always finish the whole container. My boy also has 4 6-7 oz bottles of formula. My girl only has 4 5 oz bottles.

I started feeding them food when they were a little bit over 4 months, it was about 6 months that it finally took. Now they just can't get enough of the food. It is so crazy. Unfortunately just when I got to feel like I wasn't bottle feeding ALL the TIME, we move onto real food and wow I am just feeding ALL the TIME! UGH! <_<

The past couple of days my boy has been getting 4 meals a day, I hope it is a growth spurt. He really doesn't need one being in the 97% in height and weight. He is so big!!!!!!!!!

Awe, they grow up too fast!

8. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

I think mine are on the low end of the solids. They are EBF so I can't tell you the number of ounces of milk they are taking but:

Lunch is 2-3 oz of EBM mixed with oatmeal to the consistency they like + 1 jar of fruit (shared)
    Dinner - 1-2 jars of veggies (shared)

At each meal I offer some variety of finger food - baked sweet potato pieces, banana, avocado, puffs, baby mum mums, cooked carrots, apples, squash, etc etc etc... I let them eat what they will.

ETA - They just turned 9 mos old yesterday! Thinking about, but not really ready for 3rd meal yet.... Think I'll ask my pedi at their 9 mo well baby visit.