acid reflux

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ddancerd1, May 28, 2013.

1. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

so long chocolate and anything tomato-based.
    why do i feel like everything is happening sooner this time around than with the girls? i didn't get acid reflux till well into my 30's (weeks).
    any homemade cures for acid reflux?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I couldn't lay down after eating last time or I got it.

Small, frequent meals.

Sorry I know that's not great advice.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup, small, frequent meals. Try to drink water separately from eating. If it's acting up you can chew about 10 almonds or so until they're a good and pasty consistency, then swallow. You could also ask your care provider about taking papaya enzyme (use similarly to how you use Tums - this worked well for me when I was pregnant with Emmett). Some people find a glass of milk helps to calm their tummy, others find it aggravates the situation so use with caution. Also, see if you can figure out a way to angle the head of your bed up a bit - this will help a lot at night.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

Zantac and Gaviscon for breakthrough acid...mine was so bad I couldn't eat, and then when I wouldn't eat I'd get pure acid (rather than acid and food)...

Gaviscon worked so much better than tums! but make sure you get the Cherry flavor, the regular flavor tastes like well....barf...

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

A calcium/magnesium supplement worked well for me to get rid of heartburn- with the boys I was swilling Maalox and Tums at the same time until I started with the supplement.

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know mine must have been severe with the twins but it got worse with each pregnancy which is probably why it was so bad with the twins. I lost my voice from vocal chord damage from the acid for the last 2 mos or so. I was on nexium2/day and zantac 2/day. But since then it never went away. So my dr put me on this stuff (trying to find the name of it..) its given for ulcers, its a chalky drink but OMG it temporarily relieves the acid reflux so you can breathe a bit. It doesn't taste too bad... I can't find name of it. I wonder if you could take while pg. I know sometimes just getting temporarily relief was a HUGE help for me. Sometimes ice cream would coat for a bit, but usually everything gave me reflux.

7. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

yeah, i'm noticing pretty much everything is giving me to me. but especially choclate and acidy foods. i heard eating celery will help, but i'm not a celery fan. i didn't know i could take tums and that stuff!

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was on nexium with the twins, it's the only thing that helped!

9. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've heard black licorice can help.