Acne

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Chrissy Nelson, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Zoe has some acne on her forehead.  I am wondering if it is because she has bangs since that is the only place that she has it.  She has become very concerned about it to the point that she is upset Allison does not have any.  So we took her to the Dr for it and they gave us a prescription.  I go to pick it up $200!!!!  I about died.  So I left the prescription there and we are just going to use the soap they recommended.  Anyone have some tips?  I get really bad cystic acne right before my period but hers is right under her bangs and it is almost like her entire forehead is covered.

2. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised she was given a prescription before she tried any of the over-the-counter products. She can try some Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment. It has a very low percentage of benzoyl peroxide but works really well on trouble spots. I use it in the summer during breakouts. Is she using any hair products? If I use mousse or gel in my bangs, it will make my forehead break out.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree I'm very surprised they gave her a script already.  I've had bad acne since I was about 10, I tried every single OTC product out there, even a few specialty ones like mary kay and such, nothing helped.  I wasn't given a script until I was about 16 or so.

I also would try the neutrogena products, they seem to work pretty well.  Another option, and most people will think I'm nuts, but I order tea tree oil soap from www.goatmilkstuff.com.  Their soaps are 100% natural made from goat milk.  I love their stuff!!  Anyways, the tea tree oil soap works the BEST on my acne out of everything I have tried the last 20+ years!!  I was on prescription spironolactone, it had my acne 100% under control, but I don't like taking meds long term.  After over a year on it, I stopped taking it and started using the tea tree oil soap every time I shower (and sometimes twice a day during my period week) and it works almost as good as the prescription I was on.  My 11 yr old son recently started using it too, he has acne along his hair line and in his hair a bit,  he even uses it to wash his hair first, then shampoo afterwards. 

1 person likes this.
  4. Chrissy Nelson

She has been using the Neutrogena face wash and it does not help.  So they told her to use soap with 5% benzoyl peroxide.  I have also been using my Clinque spot treatment stuff on them but it is honestly her entire forehead and it is really hard to control and does not help.

5. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have always swore by the clean and clear face foaming wash (smells like noxema). Anyways it could be her bangs because I went through that starting around 6th grade when I had bangs but started to grow them out for sports, bangs were gone and skin cleared up:).
    Does she use face lotion? Even when my skin is super dry I can't use it everyday or my face will start to break out. I also don't put it on before makeup just use it at night before bed. And does she use any makeup? Make sure she's getting it all cleaned off and not sleeping in it:)

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My son had the worst type of acne, the kind that requires a prescription. It did start on his forehead. Nothing worked for him but the prescription. He is 22 now and still has problems, although Retin-A cream helps him. I hope someone here has a good suggestion.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have been on Acne medicines for years (my doctor told me at my least appointment a couple of weeks ago-eventually you will grow out of this :laughing:).  One of the things he has me on and I believe it helps is a 9% Benzoyl Peroxide face wipes.  I would see, if none of the OTC stuff is working, if they can start with that before the expensive prescriptions.  The only thing with those wipes is if she does get prescribed something like that is to have her use a towel for her face that you don't care if it gets ruined.  
    I know none of the OTC stuff worked for me.

8. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I have always had trouble with breakouts on my forehead and I have found that for me, controlling things that I put in my hair can help.  I have to use regular, no frills  shampoo... no tea tree oil, honey, coconut oil, moroccan oil, avocado, extracts, and things like that (I use Suave Professionals Damage Care or something like that).  Same with conditioner.  And I only use conditioner and other hair products on the shaft of my hair, not near the scalp.

Also, now that it is winter, is she wearing a new hat or could her skin trouble be somehow hat related?

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps!  I really feel for her...

9. Chrissy Nelson

Th face wash seems to be working and I told her once it clears up a little bit better that she needs to let her bangs grow out.  I know she is embarassed by it because her entire forehead was covered.  She does not wear any makeup right now but she was wanting me to put some on it but I told her no. 

10. amee

amee Member

I have noticed with our own doctor for me, the husband or kids they love to write those expensive prescription. I had an eye dropper a few months ago that was about half of that price. The doctor said normally they try to check against your insurance to find the cheapest but if you ever get stuck, call up and ask for something better. There is no sense in paying that much.