Acronyms!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ellaila, Jun 21, 2007.

1. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm constantly coming across acronyms in these posts, and I have no idea what they are! NST? FFN?

Is there any place these are all listed for easy reference? Or will I just learn them when I get to that stage of preganancy, like a rite of passage? :p

2. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

3. Susiepie

Susiepie Well-Known Member

Hi hon, for me I just learned about them when the time came. There's no need to worry about it. An NST is a non stress test where they hook you up to monitors, one for each baby to measuring their active and resting heartrates and a monitor to measure contractions. It's something you'll start around 30 weeks.

A fFN is a fetal fibernectin which is a test that is like a pelvic exam. They swabbed your cervix to check for the presence of fetal fibernectin which is a sort of glue that's inbetween the baby's sack and the uterus. Presence of the glue in your woohoo is an indicator of pre-term labor. If you start contracting regularly they might perform one on you to make sure that you are not going into labor.

4. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Susiepie @ Jun 21 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]302164[/snapback]
    Hi hon, for me I just learned about them when the time came. There's no need to worry about it. An NST is a non stress test where they hook you up to monitors, one for each baby to measuring their active and resting heartrates and a monitor to measure contractions. It's something you'll start around 30 weeks.

A fFN is a fetal fibernectin which is a test that is like a pelvic exam. They swabbed your cervix to check for the presence of fetal fibernectin which is a sort of glue that's inbetween the baby's sack and the uterus. Presence of the glue in your woohoo is an indicator of pre-term labor. If you start contracting regularly they might perform one on you to make sure that you are not going into labor.

Ha ha, that cracked me up! Thanks for the info, guys! I guess I should be glad to not know yet what some of these terms mean, eh? :D

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You will learn it all with posting on here. And don't worry, I didn't know what fFN was either. :)

6. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

We have a post in our twin Wiki with abbreviations. You can find it here.

7. Susiepie

Susiepie Well-Known Member

LOL glad I could help!!! I've had 3 so far, that's how my doctor described it to me. :unknw: