advice, please! both need tonsils/adenoids removed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by happychck, Mar 14, 2011.

1. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

hi, everyone,

i'm superstressed w/dealing w/this the past few days. i know it will all be over eventually, but i feel like i'm drowning right now! anyways, it looks like both of our little guys need to have both adenoids and tonsils removed soon. one is a little more pressing but both are in need. if we wait until we can get a double appt it wouldn't be until the beginning of may. that seems a long time away to me, and i'm still not even sure it's a good thing to do them both at once.... any thoughts?!

i am working p/t right now but i would have the first few days off, then dh would fill in for a couple days. we know both boys will be extrememly needy and clingy--but even if one is well he always seems to get that way when his brother is ill and needs us. so, we are thinking we might as well just do both at once! does that seem like a good idea? or are we setting ourselves up for too much of a challenge? they are 3 and 3 months but still a li'l on the socially immature side.

any input is appreciated!

thanks a bunch,
    jl

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:grouphug: oh my goodness that must be stressful! I'm sorry that they have to have it done!

I haven't dealt with this for the twins but my oldest had this done when he turned 4y and if it were my twins I would have them both done at the same time or one done one day and the other done the next day. For us it was a long recovery (about 4 weeks) but after a week he was past the clingy part but still wasn't up to par, kwim... I think it would be hard going through this for so long and having one that is feeling totally healthy when the other isn't. A lot of the recovery was just hanging out on the couch watching movies and coloring and a lot of sleeping. It wasn't a lot of hands-on stuff for me more of just making sure they were comfy and not bored. Good luck, let us know what you decide :hug:

3. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

while in the beginning it may be harder I think I'd do both the same day - especially if you have some help around...I'd be afraid the twin that doesn't have it done would freak out when it got to be his turn...

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Jon had his out when he was 3 years, 1 month, and 2 weeks. He was playing with his brother the first night, not feeling well the next day, and by day 3 back to normal, except he was limited in what he ate. By his one week check up, he was fully cleared to eat anything he wanted and normal activity. I would do both at the same time. If you don't, and the first one has a bit of a rough time, you may have an even harder time with the second.

5. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

thanks so much for the input! we were able to schedule them both on the same day... i *think* it's the right decision. but whoever knows??!!

thanks again!
    jl

6. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

This was my thought as well.

Glad you got them scheduled on the same day. Good Luck!

7. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

My grandsons had tubes inserted/adnoids removed last Oct. They were just about 4. They were done at the same time and it went well relatively speaking. My dd and dsil and I were all there and it was hectic for sure but it's all but forgotten now. They had it done on a Thu and I actually took Friday off to stay with them and we went to the mall and out to lunch :).

8. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

IT is going to suck either way so you may as well get it over with all at once. I hate that they have to have it done.