Afraid of the dark

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Ryan seems to be afraid of the dark. He just turned 3 so I know he's getting to be the age. He will turn his light on and the run back to his bed and put the blanket over his head. We've gotten them 2 different nightlights they have in their bed, plus 2 plug ins. And for the last couple of nights he has needed his bedroom light on to fall asleep.

I'm not sure what to do, if anything. He has also been getting up at 430am (goes to bed at 7-730...hasn't been having an afternoon nap.

I just feel bad for him, he's not really able to articul, he just gets upset he can't 'see'.

And then there is the issue of Christopher poor kid gets woken up all night.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!
    Rebecca

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't turn on the overhead light. We actually turn ours off via the pull cord so it can't be turned on with the switch. What we did though is get them little kid flashlights and tell them if they wake up to use their flashlight, read if they want, etc., but the flashlight is to help with the dark. I also told mine that the flashlight meant they were supposed to go to sleep on their own, and that if they still wouldn't sleep I would take the flashlights away. That was after I felt we were passed the actual fear though.

3. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

DS started this "I a-scared of the dark" about 3-weeks ago. We tried everything until we put a 20 or 25 watt light bulb in a small baby lamp on their dresser. It is enough light to calm him, but they can sleep with it on all night. We tried turning it off when we went to sleep, but then he started waking up around 2am so I figure the few extra hours on a low watt bulb wouldn't create too much extra expense. This small expense keeps him calm when the night lights don't until this phase passes. We also try not to make a big deal out of it and if he is really worked up I let him pick a toy that will keep him company in the dark so he has nothing to be afraid of. Good luck.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two sleep with full lights on every night. /shrug

5. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Closet light has been left on all night and we've all been sleeping much better!! Thanks guys for your responses!

1 person likes this.
  6. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

"monster spray" (aka febreeze or something similar) works for us. ivi's afraid of the dark. we have 2 nightlights, and their door must stay open until they fall asleep. i also have to spray 'monster spray' around their room and make a big deal out of it lol

7. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I took a set of Christmas lights (non-blinking) and wrapped them around their toy shelf and they love it ! It's just enough light so they can see .. but not enough to be distracting. I find them staring at them while they fall asleep. I guess they find them soothing.

8. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

My hubby installed a dimmer switch.....and that seems to work for us.