afraid of water!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lbzg, Feb 27, 2012.

1. lbzg

lbzg Well-Known Member

anyones babies afriad of water, even the bath? mine hate it!!!! dont know what to do. we took them to a pool and they freaked!

2. mom2gc

mom2gc Well-Known Member

My 2 went through a stage where they screamed if you put them into a bath. I still bathed them separately at that stage. I just put very little water into the bath and allowed them to stand while holding them and bathed them as quickly as possible. It took a while but eventually they were fine with being bathed. Bath time is still not the high light of their day.
    Does it help if they see you running the bath and putting special toys in?

As for swimming my son took a long time before he was prepared to go into a swimming pool. Try playing on the steps of the swimming pool where they can sit/stand and feel safe.I will just take it very slowly and not force them to go into the water.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I have had this problem in the past (and still off and on now) between 12-18 months with bathtime. What REALLY helped is that I would bathe them separately and get in the tub with them. I think this really helped with their security. Ideally, this situation works best if you have someone there to dry and dress them. My twins are 3 now and still not big fans of bath time or pools. They will wade and splash and play in shallow water, but resist swimming and getting their face or head wet. Like the other post said, don't force it and let them explore the water at their own pace.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I went through this phase (and yes, it is just a phase). I then tried bathing in the sink and it worked one time. A washcloth bath is better than nothing. Getting in the tub did not help my little guy. Just trial and error. You've had some good suggestions already.