Alexis and Benjamin are here

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by biglittle8, Mar 27, 2009.

1. biglittle8

biglittle8 Active Member

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I've been on, so this is a bit old now, but I just wanted to announce that Alexis Diane and Benjamin Rex came into the world on February 17 at 12:45 p.m. and 12:47 p.m. respectively via an emergency c-section. I was 32 weeks, four days pregnant and Alexis' growth restriction was causing her to decline.

Alexis was 2 lbs. 10 oz. and 14.5 inches long. Ben was 4 lbs. 15 oz. and 17.25 inches long.

Ben had been given 1 in 5 odds of being born with Down syndrome (we did not get an amnio), which he does not have.

The twins went to the NICU where Alex was on CPAP for just seven hours. Ben needed no respiratory help. They both were treated for jaundice on and off and really just needed to learn to eat and maintain their temps. Ben came home on March 7 weighing 5 lbs. 0 oz. and Alexis followed a week later, on March 14, weighing just 3 lbs. 3 oz.

They are now five weeks old (almost six). Ben weighs 6 lbs. 0 oz. and Alexis is still a tiny 3 lbs. 6 oz. She's so small she has to ride in a car bed as there isn't an appropriate car seat for her. It's been so nice having them both home and our three older boys love them to pieces.

I am nursing them both, but because they have weak sucks, they get bottles of pumped milk after nursing. Then I pump. We do this every 3 hours around the clock. Needless to say, I'm tired and looking forward to the day when they can exclusively breastfeed. They sleep better than any of our other babies did, and I credit that to the schedule they were put on in the NICU.

We had so many complications during this pregnancy and feel so blessed that everyone is alive and healthy.

Elizabeth

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Congratulations Elizabeth!!
    I am so happy to hear that Ben & Alexis are both doing well, growing & at home with you :hug:
    I hope that as time goes by you will start to get some moments to rest :)
    Thanks for the update!!

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations! :Clap: I am glad they are home with you now, enjoy them. :)

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

YAY!!!!!!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! :birthday: SWEET BABIES!!!!!!!!!!

5. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

congratulations to you!!! Wonderful news.

6. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:woohoo: Congratulations Momma!!!

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Welcome babies! What a way to enter the world! I'm glad they are finally home with you and your sons. Come visit us in First Year!

8. shandy

shandy Well-Known Member

Welcome Alexis and Ben!!

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to the world Alexis and Ben!!!

10. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I am glad that they are doing good.

11. pjs

pjs Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new little ones. Glad that everything went well with your delivery and NICU time. And super happy to hear that both babies are home with you. :woohoo:

12. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

CONGRATS.. GLAD THEIR HOME WITH YOU.. CANT WAIT TO SEE PICS!

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Congrats! I'm suprised they let her come home being so small. Our hospital would not let Jessy come home till she weighed 4lbs 4oz.

14. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Congratulations! If you need any breastfeeding advice feel free to stop by our forum (link is in my sig!)

15. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I am glad that they are both home and doing well.

16. biglittle8

biglittle8 Active Member

QUOTE(TwinxesMom @ Mar 28 2009, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1248626[/snapback]
    Congrats! I'm suprised they let her come home being so small. Our hospital would not let Jessy come home till she weighed 4lbs 4oz.

Our NICU used to have a 4 lbs. 0 oz. weight requirement for discharge, but it has since been changed. Now, as long as the baby is taking all feeds by nipple (bottle or breast) and is able to maintain temp in an open crib for 48 hours they are allowed to come home.

The NICU does have a requirement of 1800 grams (almost 4 lbs) before weaning to an open crib can be attempted, but because Alexis had IUGR and was, therefore, tiny because of that despite her older age than other babies that size, they allowed her to try prior to that (much prior to that as she wasn't even 1500 grams yet). Interestingly, she passed on her first attempt whereas Ben, who was much bigger, failed twice before finally passing.

The doctor said she was the smallest baby he'd ever discharged. She does have weekly weight checks with the pediatrician now, but is doing well. She's just really really tiny!