allergic reaction

Discussion in 'General' started by AimeeThomp, Oct 1, 2011.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Cooper had a pretty severe (in my opinion) reaction to amoxil. I am allergic to penecillin too and I guess had the same reaction. He broke out in hives all over his body. Well it's never completely gone away since the breakout. It's like 99% better, but sometimes I've noticed a hive or two. One afternoon at my moms I saw several.

Well yesterday in the playroom they called me in and said that they think he has hand foot mouth disease b/c he had a couple of these hives. He had a few on his arms and like 1 on each leg. I took one look and recognized the hives that have never completely gone away since the breakout. He has NOTHING on his hands, feet, or in his mouth so I am seriously doubting he has hand foot mouth disease. These look like hives (and there's like 5 of them total). So I'm thinking it's more likely that either his reaction to the amoxil was so severe that it's still not gone away completely, or he's allergic to something in the playroom.

I wanted to know if allergic reactions seem to linger? I mean, in a case like this with hives is it normal that they won't completely go away?

I guess I'm going to call the doctor on Monday (I was busy yesterday and now it's the weekend) to find out what I should do. I hate to pay another co-pay just to bring him in to confirm that it's not hand foot mouth disease when I am 100% certain it's not. He has nothing on his hands, feet or in his mouth! It's these same hives that seem to come and go.

Thanks for reading all this. I was very frustrated yesterday. I'm not someone who brings my kid out when he's sick and I don't like it implied that I'm bringing him with a spreadable illness to a nursery.

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I can't speak about a kid's allergic reaction, but I had a severe allergic reaction to a Sulfa antibiotic in February and the reaction lasted 4+ weeks.

Hope he feels better soon!

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys are allergic to Amoxil too and I can remember Jayden had hives for a few days after I stopped the meds .. not sure how long the hives lasted though .. but I know it was at least a few days later. My grandson had hand/foot over the summer and it looked like he had chicken pox and he had a few sores in his mouth along his gumline.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Aimee. My mom has a good friend who is allergic to several medications and my Mom has said that her reactions have lasted a couple of weeks. Not sure if that would hold true for a child but it's definitely worth a follow up call to the pedi on Monday. Let us know how you make out. I hope the hives go away soon!

5. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I know I had a virus that gave me hives and that lasted a few weeks. I continued to take the steroid to alleviate them. You may want to call and talk to a nurse. He may need to be on a steroid or at least benedryl to help with the reaction.

6. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

One of my twins is allergic to Amoxil and he had hives for a few days afterward and that was with getting benedryl regularly to help clear it up. Hope he feels better soon.

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had a penicillin reaction 2 years ago that took nearly 6 weeks to get over, so depending on how much amox he might need some time to get it out of his system. Austin reacted to amox in the spring this year and it took about a week to go away. Maybe there's something else that's causing the hives too? Detergents or something like that? I hope you get answers.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The reaction can definitely linger for quite awhile, poor little guy. :hug:

9. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Did he get any predisone? Marks amoxicillin reaction started to disappear almost immediately after he took it. Its was completely gone within a few days. I'm not sure how long it would take without steroids.

10. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mckenna had an allergic reaction to cheese and gave her hives all over her mouth. They appeared to still be there over a week later. My ped told me most hives would be gone by then. Don't know if its different with foods vs meds. Kenna had scratched her hives so bad causing eczema type rash that I had assumed were still hives. I have seen hand foot mouth rashes and I can't imagine 5 bumps and no fever being that?