Allergy skin testing...and I don't want to tell her

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Feb 12, 2013.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Emma needs to have some allergy skin testing done so we can figure out if we need to treat symptoms she's been having. I don't want to tell her. :unsure: She is a pretty nervous kid as it is when it comes to doctors and visits. I think this would cause unnecessary anxiety before her visit.

But...I'm having a little guilt over the element of surprise. Thoughts?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Luke had to have this done when he was 3.5. Maybe I wouldn't tell her until the day of (or right before) the appointment and just tell her that they will be doing some skin pricks (which is really all it is) to see what's going with her. The skin pricks don't take long, we waited longer to see the results. If I remember correctly the allergist office did put something on Luke to numb him a little (they did the pricks on his back). He did cry a little but he got over it quickly and he is not fan of the doctor's office and any kind of needles.
    I would also ask the doctor's office and see what they suggest. I am sure she is not the only child they have seen that is uneasy with doctor visits. Good luck and let us know how she makes out.

3. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Well, I'd tell her, but naming it is where it really matters. I'd call it a scratch (they never hurt as much as a prick :lol: ), like when you have an itch. Is it on her arm or her back? Because you can make a game of it if it's on her arm, but you can totally distract (phone games, reading) if it's on her back. The worst part of it is the waiting and being very still so you can see if she reacts...so definitely have some tricks up your sleeve for those moments.

I'd probably tell her about the appt, maybe not about the tests until going into it if she tends to work herself up about things. But, then definitely tell her what is going to happen before it happens...but call it something simple. For example, when my kids have to give blood (finger pricks), we say we are counting the bubbles it takes to fill the tube. Put a fun spin on it and it won't be nearly as miserable (for anyone) :hug:

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it's the scratch test on the back it really doesn't hurt at all! Feels like pushing a hairbrush against your back. If she reacts it could get miserable, you can't scratch it until the time is up, and Sean was in tears by the time the 20 minutes was up. Bring lots of distractions for her! Sean's allergist gave him a benadryl as soon as he checked him, and some benadryl for his back too, and that helped immediately. However, they did not bring ME any, thankfully I brought my own benadryl pills to take! :aggressive:

I did have to have the needle pricks in the arm too, which hurt much worse. Can you call and ask the allergist which type of testing she's having done?

:hugs:

5. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

She will be getting pricks on the arm. I need to put numbing cream on her an hour prior and wrap her in Saran Wrap. :unsure:

I'm in a hurry to get to work, I'll be back to reply more! :good:

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Can you plan some special to do with her right after the appointment? I would definitely tell her in terms of getting her all better. Then bring something special to the appointment and maybe go out for a special treat after. :hug:

7. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I think I would tell her. Maybe a couple days/or the day before? I would just be honest and say it's a skin test. It doesn't hurt. Mine have all had it done on the back though, so maybe not being able to see was better? Actually, I'm taking Ashlyn back tomorrow to check for a dairy allergy. <_< Mine are SUPER weenies when it comes to Dr. stuff/shots etc but haven't had a problem with the skin test. Now if they mention blood draw... :nea:

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I would tell her (from someone who is in the thick of things with Audrey). You risk her not trusting you after that. Maybe mention a 'date' with her but then right before your date, you have to go to the doctor.

9. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Michelle, with the numbing cream, the hardest part is going to be sitting absolutely still for the 20 minutes for the test results. I've used the numbing cream to help with accessing chemo ports and the patients say it is *very* helpful. This is similar to the device we use at our office: Skin Tester. My doc is a pediatric allergist, we don't use the numbing cream and see kiddos often (my won girls have had it done twice and are now getting allergy shots ~ almost at maintenance, whoo hoo!).

I'd definitely tell her the morning of, just so she knows what to expect. We usually show the kiddos a tester (without any serum on it), refer to it as a caterpillar, and allow them to touch it so they know what it's going to feel like. We usually do between 4 and 5 boards (each 'board' has 8 spots).

We usually also let the kids watch a video while waiting for the results, she has a dvd player set up in the testing room. If your office doesn't have that, and you have access to a portable dvd player, definitely bring it!

Good luck, hope you get answers. It's so nice knowing exactly what's causing the issues!