almost 19 weeks and lots of contractions with my 2nd set..

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by christiedawntoews, May 13, 2011.

1. christiedawntoews

christiedawntoews Active Member

I started having contractions around 17 weeks with this set. (and these are BOYS!!) Don't remember when I started with the girls. Just lots of tightening and pressure. Some cramping. Feels so heavy already and only 18 weeks 5 days. Called the doc last week, they assured me this was normal and take it easy and drink lots. Now yesterday and today have been bad again. I called today, and once again got the "this is how it is, your on your 2nd set of twins.." They said to take it real real easy 0ver the weekend and if it was still bad I can have an appt. Monday. So just need reassurance from other twin mommas. This is normal, it isn't too early for this, it will only get worse (OK, don't tell me that! I already know that :) ) So, your thoughts... THANKS!!

2. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

What your are describing sounds like Braxton Hicks contractions. My second pregnancy wasn't twins, but I did start having TONS of Braxton Hicks around that time. I teach at a college and I would particularly have them while standing giving class. I thought I was well hydrated, but I thought--it won't hurt to try upping the water, especially since lying down in the middle of class wasn't an option. And guess what--it helped. It really did. I would have sworn I was drinking enough, turns out I wasn't.

Try to stay calm, talk to your boys, and drink up.

3. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

I'm 22 w with a singleton and SAME THING! Up the water and rest when you can.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

My uterus remembers my twin pregnancy and is acting the same way with a singleton too. One thing you always remember, if you are not comfortable with the way you feel and no ones advice is making you feel better, go to the hospital. They will at least put your mind at ease and that is priceless. CONGRATULATIONS on your baby boys!!!!

5. TwinsItIs

TwinsItIs Well-Known Member

Have you been taking it easier since you started having contractions? I started having contractions a few weeks ago as well (also carrying my second set) and took it really easy, not doing any physically straining work. The contractions have thankfully lessened by a LOT and I have them sporadically now.

6. christiedawntoews

christiedawntoews Active Member

Ya actually been pretty much bed rest this weekend. Thats what the doctor ordered. He called in a prescription for Niphedipine (procardia) yesterday and if I take that and lay down I don't have them. But as soon as I get up it starts all over. I have an appt. tomorrow and am really worried this means bedrest for me. Just seems so early at 19 weeks but I will do what I have to. I had 14 weeks of bedrest with the girls so have done it before and know its possible. just this time i have 2 3/4 yr olds running around!

7. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

I started with the contractions at 16 weeks. Was checked for a UTI first. That can cause contractions. Maybe ask your Dr. to check just to be sure. (mine was neg) I then was started on Progesterone injections (it may be to late at 19 weeks tho I am not sure) and was put on procardia. My Dr. did not put me on strict bed rest except once when my cervix shortened at 31 weeks. Then sent me home to not "over do it" but never lay in bed strict. I made it to 35 and 3 with healthy babies who came home with me! I agree, rest when you can, drink tons of water and good protein! Good luck