Almost 3--waking up at night to be re-covered up--losing sleep!!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by japhy311, Dec 2, 2006.

1. japhy311

japhy311 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Maddy and Kaia have always been fairly good sleepers, but for the past month or so they (especially Maddy) wakes up 2-3x per night in order to be re-covered up with their blankets. We are exhausted.

In the past, we realized that when either girl started awakening after solid sleeping for several months that there was a larger issue--either teething, needing a bigger sleepsack size, etc. Now that they can tell us what they need we know it's the cover issue. We'll hear on the monitor "Cover you up!!! Momma Tate cover you up!!" This is Maddy's way of saying she herself needs her covers over her.

We keep the house at a comfortable 68-69 degrees. They wear long-sleeved PJ's. They have a blanket in their cribs (yes, they are still in cribs with cribtents).

Any ideas on how we can get some sleep??? I thought about teaching them how to re-cover up themselves, buying larger blankets, using more than one....

Thanks!

2. japhy311

[​IMG] Maddy and Kaia have always been fairly good sleepers, but for the past month or so they (especially Maddy) wakes up 2-3x per night in order to be re-covered up with their blankets. We are exhausted.

In the past, we realized that when either girl started awakening after solid sleeping for several months that there was a larger issue--either teething, needing a bigger sleepsack size, etc. Now that they can tell us what they need we know it's the cover issue. We'll hear on the monitor "Cover you up!!! Momma Tate cover you up!!" This is Maddy's way of saying she herself needs her covers over her.

We keep the house at a comfortable 68-69 degrees. They wear long-sleeved PJ's. They have a blanket in their cribs (yes, they are still in cribs with cribtents).

Any ideas on how we can get some sleep??? I thought about teaching them how to re-cover up themselves, buying larger blankets, using more than one....

Thanks!

3. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

We are going through the same thing with Ryenn. We even have the temp up higher. I don't know why she can't cover her own self up. We notice a night wake when she doesn't nap. So I am not sure what is going on. We finally put a heavier blanket on her and it has worked. Yesterday she didn't nap but we put the duvet on and she slept soundly. Go figure!

4. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

I'm not for sure, but that would drive me crazy! lol Maybe like you said...try to buy larger blankets.

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Kayla used to do that too and I used a couple of the tactics you mentioned. I don't think temperature really has much to do with it, I think it is a kind of security knowing where the blanket is and being covered (not necessarily the warmth of being covered is what I am trying to say).

I got K a bigger blanket and I did teach her how to cover herself. It fixed our problem. She did start to do it again at one point (she is in a twin bed now and she would get out of bed, come into my room to ask me to cover her, surely she could do it herself right?) so I just showed her again and told her how important getting a full night sleep is for everyone. I am sure she will probably do it again but the blanket and 'lesson' have seemed to do the trick.

6. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

We are having the same problem. Its been weeks since I have been able to have a full night sleep. I have started covering them up with a long and bigger blanket and that seems to be helping but I still have the problem 5 nights a week. I am going to see if I can find some good deals on new blankets for them or make some myself. I hope it gets better for you soon, I know how exhausted you are!!

7. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

My boys do this at the beginning of winter and I am convinced it is because they are cold. I love the super warm, Carter's brand, blanket sleepers. I notice that when they are in their other type of jammies (long sleeve shirt with pants type) they wake more often then when they are wearing their footie pajamas.

So, I would try an extra blanket and a warmer set of jammies, and see if that helps.

Good luck!

8. Disney747

Disney747 Well-Known Member

SLeepsac now makes sacs for 2t-4t. That might be a good option. They have holes in the bottom for their feet to stick out. and with the buy on get on at the halo website, might be a good deal.

9. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I was also going to suggest the toddler sleepsack. Like you said, they probably aren't cold at that temperature so it would just be easier to remove the problem, namely blankets coming off. Halo has a twins discount that is buy one, get one free. You just put "twins" in the coupon or comments section at checkout and they adjust your total after checkout.

10. japhy311

I just ordered two sleepsacks. THANK YOU to those of you who mentioned the sleepsacks--I wasn't aware that Halo made toddler sizes. I just realized that this problem started when the girls stopped using their 24 month (yes, 24 month) sleepsacks b/c the sleepsacks were too small. The girls have used sleepsacks since they were born so it makes sense that once we stopped using the sleepsacks the girls started having the blanket problem.

I am anxiously awaiting the new sleepsacks--so I can get some sleep! Thank you! [​IMG]

11. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We had this issue with Isabel recently and it was driving us nuts b/c it was like the babies were sleeping through and then she started waking up. ARGH! Anyways, what we've did was have her practice a lot during the day how to pull her covers back up over herself. The other thing that we've done is tuck her comforter under the matress at the bottom and side of the bed. The side of the bed that is near the wall, we put some decorative pillows there to hold the blankets in place. We also found that if she had more than one blanket on, it was much worse, so we have one thicker one for her. She's done great since we made those changes. HTH.