Almost passed out when I was driving to work this morning....so scary!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kitkat72783, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

This morning as I was driving to work I noticed I was really hungry (lately I haven't been that hungry and I get to work at 7:30 am so I usually sit at my desk and have breakfast, sence in the am I usually shower, throw my hair up and my scrubs on and out the door...so i'm at work within an hour of waking up) so I started eating a banana on my way but all of a sudden I noticed I was getting really light headed like my heade felt hot and everything was going blurry...I pulled into a gas station and laid my seat down and kinda freaked out cause it wasnt passing (thought of calling my mom, my work, or 911) then I could feel my head starting to cool off so I waited till everything wasn't blurry, I got out and got some gas for the cool air and then I was feeling pretty of so I got back on my way to work....I drank gingerale and a granola bar on the way and now here I am. This seriously scared the crap out of me, now I feel a little funny I dont know exactly what I mean I just feel funny. does anyone know what is wrong with me?

2. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Feb 19 2009, 07:42 AM) [snapback]1196133[/snapback]
    This morning as I was driving to work I noticed I was really hungry (lately I haven't been that hungry and I get to work at 7:30 am so I usually sit at my desk and have breakfast, sence in the am I usually shower, throw my hair up and my scrubs on and out the door...so i'm at work within an hour of waking up) so I started eating a banana on my way but all of a sudden I noticed I was getting really light headed like my heade felt hot and everything was going blurry...I pulled into a gas station and laid my seat down and kinda freaked out cause it wasnt passing (thought of calling my mom, my work, or 911) then I could feel my head starting to cool off so I waited till everything wasn't blurry, I got out and got some gas for the cool air and then I was feeling pretty of so I got back on my way to work....I drank gingerale and a granola bar on the way and now here I am. This seriously scared the crap out of me, now I feel a little funny I dont know exactly what I mean I just feel funny. does anyone know what is wrong with me?

Scary situation, I'm glad you're ok. I had this happen to me everyday for about 3 months. My doctor put me on some heart medicine because my heart would race, and then he told me that when this would happen to me that I needed to lay down on my left side. The babies can sit on a major blood vessel called the venna cava. When they sit on that vessel it would make me feel like this. It's really common in twin pregnancies. However, my doctor took it to the next level and made me get tested for epilepsy. Obviously all the tests turned out fine. So, he increased my heart medicine and somehow that's what did the trick for me.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: That must have been scary. When do you have your next doctor visit? It could have just been that you needed some food, but if you continue to feel off, then I would call the doctor just for reassurance.

4. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

Definitely mention it to your OB, but the same thing started happening to me around 20 weeks. I don't remember the technical reason my OB gave me, but something along the lines of there is a huge surge of hormone around 20 weeks and it's fairly common to feel that way. She told me to make sure that I eat and just listen to the cues of my body and take it easy. I remember how scared I was feeling like I was going to pass out in Sams the first time it happened to me :hug: I can't imagine having to drive feeling that way.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: That must have been scary.

6. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I had that happen in the hospital right before my c-section. My blood pressure went crazy and they think it was simply due to the way I was laying and I was cutting off circulation (like the PP said). They moved me around and put a cool cloth on my head and I was fine within a few minutes. I would call your doctor and explain what happened and they might want to see you. Good luck!

7. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me a few times...once it was so bad I did call my DH to pick me up (I started to black out so I pulled into a not-so-nice alley because it was the only thing I could see), and it happened a few times at work where luckily I could just sit and put my head down. I went to L&D once for it and my blood pressue had dropped very low. They told me to make sure I drank more water (I was already drinking tons). Eventually it stopped, but unfortunately I was on bedrest a week later for preterm contractions so who knows if it helped the blood pressure thing, too...

Just be careful driving. If I had to go far, DH tried to take me once the blackouts started, but like I said, it was only about a week and I was pulled out of work anyway.

8. Farrah

Farrah Well-Known Member

Almost the same exact thing happened to me last week when I was driving to work. I believe it was my blood sugar. Once I drank some juice I started feeling better. During pregnancy your blood sugar can change...especially with twins. Try keeping a snack and apple or orange juice with you at all times and see if this helps.

This has not happened again thank goodness but it scared me to death!!!

I would also mention it to your MD!

9. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I, too, suspect blood sugar. Years ago, I dealt w/ a bad bout of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) for about 6 mos and it definitely can be scary. You feel very out of control of your body (and your mind!). And the PP was right - pregnancy can really screw w/ your blood sugar even if you keep your body properly fueled. Starting off your day with an empty fuel tank and then feeding it bananas, soda, and a granola bar (all VERY high in sugar and/or processed stuff) sent you into a tailspin. Know that when your body gets to this point, it will take some time to get to feeling normal again.

What I would suggest that you try... First, when your feet hit the floor get yourself a big glass of water (dehydration can make you feel pretty bad, too) and a snack or eat breakfast. NOT SUGAR. A piece of whole grain toast, some cheese, an egg...protein is your friend. White flours and high sugar foods are not. Ripe bananas are one of the highest sugar content foods on the glycemic index so they can really mess w/ you. Your body needs a good base (like a paint primer) first thing to set the tone for how it processes foods throughout the day. If you start off wonky (ie, no food at all, the wrong foods, etc) you'll have a hard time stabilizing it. If you must do sugars, just make sure they're spaced throughout the day and intermixed w/ lots of proteins, but I wouldn't suggest them as your first meal.

I hope this helps a little. I HATED having blood sugar problems and know exactly what you went thru this morning. When I had my 3 hr glucose w/ DS #1, I felt so crappy afterward that it took me a giant plate of food and about an hour of sitting before I felt safe to drive again. Not cool.

Good luck! I hope you're feeling better now!
    Eve

10. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:hug: sorry for the scare! Glad you are feeling better!
    I agree, be sure to mention to your OB just so they are aware :)

11. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

Wow, Scarry moment but after I read this post I remeber that I had this feeling twice. both time I was at home so I just sit down. I measure bp everytime after that and it was normal. ( I was sure that it dropped) but look like previous post is right. It has something to do with blood sugar.
    I hope you will not have this feeling when driving.

12. kitkat72783

kitkat72783 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone...I was definatly freaked out and all morning I felt so weird so that didn't help. But the nurse here at my work checked my bp and it was good 120/80 and gave me some carmel popcorn :D I've been eating all morning and just now I finally feel a bit better. I did call the ob thow to ease my nerves the covering doc told me to lay on my left side, take in lots of fluids and that should help. So I'm increasing my water even more so soon I'll be drowning :D and on my lunch break I'll be laying in my car...so much fun :rolleyes: but I'm half way there to having these babies in my arms=)

13. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Wow! That is scary! Glad you called your Dr. I will say though, if your Dr told you that you should be laying down on your left side, it may be in you and the babies best interests to take the day off and get some rest! Don't push yourself! Good Luck! :hug:

14. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:( I'm sorry that happened to you and especially while driving. :hug: I would definately bring this up with your doctor. I hope it doesn't happen again. :hug:

15. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

i have low BP and low blooodsugar, and this has happened a few times. Once was while driving and i just missed the SUV in front of me. After that my DH would not allow me to drive, and the peri agreed. i eat every few hours to keep my sugar up, but there are times i still get dizzy even sitting or laying down.

29W5D mono/di boys

16. caba

caba Banned

That happened to me at work when I was pregnant with my twins. I was in a meeting, and left to go to the bathroom. I sat there with my head against the wall, and the "about to pass out" feeling passed, but I just didn't feel right. So I left the bathroom and went right to the nurse (we have one on duty at my work). I layed down in there for about an hour, she took my blood pressure and everything was ok. I think I just needed more to eat.

When I finally went back to my desk, my whole area was in a panic because no one knew where I was ... oops!

17. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

18. doublej's

doublej's Well-Known Member

Glad ur okay!!

19. DebDai

DebDai Well-Known Member

When it happened to me I was at work and since I was just outside the ER, a nurse dragged me into a room. Mine turned out to be Gest. Diab. I started eating before going to work and as soon as I got to work, its a 1 hour commute. I wish you luck!

(edited for spelling..oops)

20. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kitkat72783 @ Feb 19 2009, 11:42 AM) [snapback]1196438[/snapback]
    I was definatly freaked out and all morning I felt so weird so that didn't help.

I remember that feeling too well. Blood sugar imbalances can send your heart racing, leave you short of breath, and make you feel totally out of control of your emotions and thoughts (oh-so-helpful when you are already panicking). I swear, when my b/s would be low, you could look at me funny and I'd cry. It was like hyper-PMS. Unfortunately, once you start feeling "funny," it's already too late. You're probably going to feel like crap for a while, even if you do get some food asap.

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that I go from zero to starving in no time flat, so I make sure I ALWAYS carry a nutritious (preferrably lo-sugar, non-junk food) snack with me to keep the fire fueled (and a big bottle of water, too). I make sure I have a few peanuts or piece of cheese and crackers BEFORE I ever feel hungry and it's really kept me feeling even-keel physically. It's a pain, I know, but you DON'T want to mess w/ GD. Yuck.

Eve