Alone with twins for weekend - suggestions for activities?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mommylaura, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

My DH is taking my DS out of town for the weekend, so I will be on my own with the twins. I am afraid that we will just sit in the house for 48 hours straight and go bonkers! But I'm also not sure I can handle them in public by myself (yes, I am a weeny). Any suggestions of places that you take your twins by yourself?

2. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

How old are your twins?

In public, I always need mine contained. So we go to stores where I can put them both in the cart. Or, places I can take them in the double stroller-mall walking early, outdoor walks in the afternoons.

If they don't do well with that, you can hit a drive through or two for meals for yourself, or a coffee and just do a nice drive. I know mine love being in the car.

The only places I take my two unrestrained are the park, that is fenced in, during the week or early in the day when no one else is there. I tried the children's museum once alone but that was hard.

If you don't get out, make sure to break your day into different areas of the house. yes, you WILL go nuts if you keep them in the living room all weekend. We go into our basement play room for 1/2 hour, play in mommy's room for a bit, spin in the chair in the office, bang pots and pans in the kitchen. Mealtime is an EVENT when you can't get out, we make that fun and long. Otherwise, you can show a cartoon or two at traditionally very cranky parts of the day... always works in my house.

Good luck! My two are 18 months and very fidgety-I have to keep them moving constantly or they get very, very restless.

3. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I remember some of my first outings that I felt comfortable with were to the local pond. It has some bridges and walkways and we'd go and duck watch. We'd feed the ducks some crackers/bread and if the kids ate it too...oh well. I'd also just load them up in a stroller and walk around the block, Target, wherever just to get a change of scenery. We'd also go visit people if I didn't want to worry about being in public.

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I usually take them to the parks for a mini picnic, a race (they love to push those little walk n ride on toys), feeding the ducks. I bought a bike trailer. I have been wanting to bike them around in the park. But we just entered RAIN season here in ohio. So I havent had a chance to use it yet :(. My husband usually takes them to jacks aquarrium, pet marts for short go out trips. The zoo is a good place to go too. And have you ever take them to story time at the library?... Mine just passed 1. And they enjoy going out and well behave. We havent had public tantrum yet. I know we will hit it soon. but right now I enjoy taking them out because we all have fun and refresh.

If you want an extreme workout and are brave enough, take them to magic castle lol. They will have awesome time and you ill lose weight. its not that bad lol. Good luck and have fun!

5. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

If you're not up to going and staying out, hit BRU, Target, the store with the kiddos and get bubbles. Then hit the back yard with the bubbles (or sacrifice your floors inside). My kiddos can play with them two or three times a day and they never seem bored.

Or, a friend's house is always a good bet.

6. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Try to make a play date with someone. Look to see if your local YMCA or community center has a playtime. We have one near us that is an enclosed gym so they can run around but not escape from me. Its cheap and the kids just like to be free to move. We try to play a lot in different rooms. I have a fenced yard so outside works not too bad and when its raining we have an indoor slide they love. If I'm bored but don't want to let them loose we do a store that has the double seated cart and lots of fish crackers to keep them happy. They don't love the car, but short trips to get somewhere is ok and it kills some time. Crank up the kids tunes:)

7. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

We go for walks at the park, then head to the playground and swing (fun yet still contained). I definitely agree with PP that Target and BRU are always good. We're soon going to try storytime at the library as well as the playground at the zoo. Anything with activity going on around them is great. My girls especially love Costco because they get to ride in the cart.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Start small... take the stroller! Just put them directly from the car to the stroller and go to the mall or whatever you want to do.