Alpha omega lifepacs

Discussion in 'General' started by slr814, Aug 19, 2008.

1. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I've decided to use lifepac for my DD's k math this year. I don't know anyone who is using them, but I thought it looked pretty comprehensive and simple to use. Has anyone here used them, and did your kids like them? If my DD does well with the math this year, I've thought about buying the whole curriculum pack for next year. The only qualm I have about doing this is thinking that 5 subjects might be too much for a 1st grader. What do you think?

2. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I haven't tried them. I have only heard good things about them no matter the grade. Let us know how you like it and if you do decide to get it all.

As far as too much, it might be if you are doing all those subjects every day. But I have found, even in the older grades, other then math/language that the other topics are done on alternating days. So it usually isn't as overwhelming as it orginally seems.

3. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

We use a Lifepac for math. It works well with DD's learning style. I don't know what it would have been like for teaching her math from the beginning as we started it in 2nd grade after she had addition and substraction basics down. I could not use the rest of the subjects due to religious differences.

4. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could do the non core subjects on alternating says. That might not be too bad. With all the curriculum out there, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what works for your family. Especially since I don't have a physical store I can go and look the stuff over at.

5. Joanna831

Joanna831 Well-Known Member

I homechooled for eighth grade and that is what I used for all my subjects. I loved them. I am an independant learner and I was able to basically teach myself and ask my mom questions if I had them.

I don't know much about the younger grade books, but I know I loved the ones I had.
    Also, the other books besides math do have religious references, which was cool for me but I don't know what your beleifs are. Math didn't have any that I can remember though.

HTH!

6. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I didn't know you could do the non core subjects on alternating says. That might not be too bad. With all the curriculum out there, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what works for your family. Especially since I don't have a physical store I can go and look the stuff over at.

This is the great thing about homeschooling. You aren't set in stone as to what you have to do every day, week, month or year. You adjust your choice of curriculum to fit your child and you. Ihope it works for you :)

7. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

Well, her math books just came in, and I think they are going to work really well. I'm glad I decided to do K math this year though, because the beginning is mostly stuff she already knows.