Alright, I gotta just throw it out there ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by caba, Feb 4, 2009.

1. caba

caba Banned

Is it just me? I have ZERO patience for my kids! I'm sure it's partly the pregnancy thing ... but my DH isn't pregnant, and he's on his last nerve too! They fight over everything, they don't listen to a thing we say, they whine all the time! They don't understand "No!" ... it's just so HARD!

Ok ... am I the worst mom, or are some of you ready to sell your almost 2 year olds as well??

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

It really depends on the day or actually the moment in the day. They are both quite whiney lately, but I just realized they are both getting some teeth so that doesn't help. They do fight a lot, but they are actually starting to play more with each other too. So one moment I'm sitting there watching them play together thinking "OMG they are just TOOOOOO cute!" and then all of a sudden the world opens up and there is WWIII over who gets to pour the coffee from that d*mn diner! I think I'm a lot less tolerant of the whining lately because they can tell me what is wrong and I expect them to use their words and not just whine "Mommy Mommy MOMMY MOMMMMMYYYYYYY!" over and over again.

3. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

Not that it will help but if it's any consolation, I'm ready to sell my 2 1/2 year olds and my one year old. Honestly, Peyton is driving me up the wall - he's worse than the twins!!!! I love them to death but this whole not listening thing is driving me crazy.

Amanda

4. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

for the first time I REALLY lost my patience this morning tryign to get the girls out of the house. I had to just shut them in their bedroom and count to 20!

It does depend on the day though, some days are great and some days royally suck!

5. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Im right there with you, but Ive got a 5 yr, 4 yr and 2 1/2 yr twins!! Who wants 'em?? :umm:

Im going crazy!! And Im not even a SAHM. I work all day and pick them up from daycare/preschool, and when we get home I have to make dinner and its like, hello??? Didnt I JUST ask you not to come in the kitchen 56 times? and you are in here again, becauuuseeee???
    Every day!! Yesterday I was making a pre-made box type thing and i only had to throw it in a dish and let it bake and I was trying to tell them to give me 5 minutes and I would be in to play w/ them, and they wouldnt even be quiet long enough to listen to me telling them I was going to come play w/ them.!!

Then all night its 'she hit me' he pulled my hair 'she took my toy' Nooooo,, thats miiiineee.. Mommy!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going crazy!
    Thanks for the vent!

6. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I'm not sure there is much of a market for 2 year olds :lol:

I feel your pain! Mine will look right at me as I tell them something for the millionth time - makes me nuts!!

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have my days with my already two year old. He has taken to saying "No!" to me and then blowing a big raspberry at me. Then he gets a time out and does it to me from the timeout chair as well. Then the next minute he is telling me he loves me and wants a smooooooch (that's the way he says it). I'm sure being pregnant isn't helping for you though, Erica!!! Believe me, I was pregnant when my kids were the same age yours are now, Yikes!

8. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'm ready to sell my kids! (no not really) but I entered this stage a little later, or maybe my kids did. But from 3 or so, this is just the age I can't do as a parent, I can play or teach other kids this age, but like you said I have no patience. I HATE that they can dress themselves, but if I left it up to them it would take 20 minutes and I have to say EVERYTHING 10 or more times. It seems like they don't listen to me unless I'm shouting--I hate that!
    Yes, the first year was really hard and a lot of work. The second year I went back to work and being a working mom was really hard to get adjusted to, I was sooo increadibly BUSY. But for me it is harder now. Yes, I get time to myself while they play together and yes I love that we no longer have to pack a bag to leave the house and all that stuff, but I just don't have the patience for these little people who I should be enjoying instead of constantly telling them, Hurry Hurry Hurry!

9. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Well this probably won't help, but I actually think that 3 was way worse for us than 2. Certainly when they approached 2 they became more challenging, but it was nothing compared to the last year.

10. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

I'm not even pregnant and some days I'm ready to list them on eBay! The whining, the toy fights, the oh-so-pathetic moans of "Mommy do it" (translation: I'm too frustrated to play with my toy so I want you to do it for me). And discipline. OMG. First off, I thank my lucky stars that I really do have pretty tame, well-behaved kids, but I swear, I'm ready to get wrapped in a straitjacket with a big ol' shot of thorazine next time I have to keep them from banging toys on windows and/or pushing the cribs around.

Oh, and let's not forget the apocalyptic meltdowns that occur when DD goes from happy to STARVING in under .25 seconds.

11. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Mine are currently for sale. No takers so far. Mine are 16 months and REALLY testing my patience. Glad you posted!

12. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

Not alone, and no advice. Mine ar 3.5 and I want to sell them, or at least rent them out, most of the time. I feel horrible, I work FT, and I only get an hour or so in the AM, and a few hours in the evening with them, and they seem to save up all their squabbles and whining for their time with me. Breakfast is a repetition of please eat your breakfast, for every bite, and walking them through every step of going potty and washing their hands (they dawdle so badly), and evening is a tightrope of trying to fix a healthy meal and spend quality time with them and stop the fighting and whining. Yesterday I ended up with both crying in the kitchen while I cooked and stopped to hug them as much as I could between chopping and stirring. They were just tired and hungry (despite after school snacks) and off their rockers.

Hugs. We only have 25 more years of this to look forward to!

I really thought I'd be a better parent. I have no patience some days. I wish my time with them was more idyllic. I wish logic worked all the time. I wish they'd listen. I wish they'd learn to share and be considerate. I wish they'd learn to take a deep breath when things aren't going their way instead of going postal. I feel like I'm a horrible example for my kids because I have lost my patience, because they don't listen until I'm on the 4th repetition and by that time I'm shouting to get their attention, because I sit down and cry when I can't take it anymore.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Hit home for me. Hugs, again!

ETA: There are short bursts of wonderfulness with them, and I try to focus on those. When they play together nicely, when they share, when they tell me they love me and tackle me with hugs and kisses (like this morning in bed when they had a contest to see who could kiss me the most), when they say something hysterical, when they need a hug and I can give it to them. I just try to put those first in my mind when I'm facing the terrible two - not the age, the number. They can be terriffic too.

13. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Right there with you. Karina looks right at me, defiantly, and pulls Kevan's hair and hits him on the head. Kevan falls on the floor and wails loudly -- you'd think she bit off a finger or something.

Then, repeat. About every 5 minutes. It's really fun.

But, as PP's mentioned, I'm petrified -- because age 3 with Nadia was WAY worse than 2. So, I'm trying to pace myself, LOL.

14. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Feb 4 2009, 01:31 PM) [snapback]1176090[/snapback]
    Well this probably won't help, but I actually think that 3 was way worse for us than 2. Certainly when they approached 2 they became more challenging, but it was nothing compared to the last year.

Thanks Trish! Now I'm going to kill myself ... :p

15. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Actually, I found 18 months to 2 1/2 to be the most trying time. I remember taking the boys for Holiday pictures at 18 months and they were horrible. In front of us was someone with 2 1/2 year old twins, who commented that theirs were like mine the year before. When I broght them back for pictures at 2 1/2--what a HUGE difference in their behavior! It got even better for us at 3, because then they started preschool, and that really made a difference.

So, I would say there is hope :)

16. Twins07

Twins07 Member

Great! It gets worse?? How can it? My boys are 15 months and I just put them in their cribs (@ 5pm..)because I could not deal with them anymore. They have been in daycare today and AGAIN only had ONE short nap, so now they are exhausted and totally unruly. During the week I might as well be a single mother because DH drives 1 hour to work each way so he's gone from 630-630 every day, and wonders why every night at around 900 - 930 I get so tired and have to go to bed... I have to, because I've had all the fun I can stand. I would like to hear some coping strategies, other than drugs, because they don't seem to be working for me. I have zero patience, I find myself yelling and I just don't do that. Thanks for posting this vent and allowing me to as well!

17. Hananielsgirl

Hananielsgirl Well-Known Member

I hear you!!!
    (check out my tickers)

18. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Leighann @ Feb 4 2009, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1175899[/snapback]
    It really depends on the day or actually the moment in the day.

Ditto. THis weekend, even w/ both DH and I at home, I wanted to run away. But today was good- only one major meltdown, they slept well, and they played really well with a little friend of ours! So I try to take it each day at a time. Now, would I be lying to you to say I wasn't scared out of my pants about the three weeks that DH will be out of town soon?? YES, I would most definitely be LYING THROUGH MY TEETH! :rotflmbo:

19. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

My fav fraze- " Im gonna start throwing kids out the window!"

20. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

We actually didn't have any problems like this until after they turned 2, but now it has hit us. The current frustration is that they throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want . . . before they bother to tell us what it is that they want! It's not that they don't have the words to ask for what they want - they have the words that they need, but they just don't bother to use them. Instead they throw themselves on the ground and scream, apparently because we failed to read their minds and get them what they wanted before they asked for it?!

First we got stressed over it and kept trying to guess what it was that they wanted. But we've recently realized that the only thing to do is just ignore the tantrum, and eventually they stop it and come and actually ask us for what they want. They're smart boys, so hopefully it won't be long before they realize that they're doing things in the wrong order! Ask us for what you want first, and then throw a tantrum if you don't get it. Don't tantrum first and ask second!

21. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

Yup. I keep wondering what people were thinking when they said "it gets easier" all the first year. Yes, the first few months were hard and infant twins are physically tiring, but two year olds are mentally and emotionally tiring! For me, this is the hardest stage so far. But I agree with others that it depends on the day. Last week was really rough around here (turns out one DD was in the early stages of a cold). This week has been much, much better. So they are off the market .... for now.

22. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

Mine are like that in the morning ( i am so not a morning person) or if sophie steals jacks toys or vice versa just to wind each other up (which they do ALOT!) I get mum jack noy me, mummy sophie bit me , mummy jack hit me "cry" or just screaching and fighting lol and thats sometimes even before 7am :crazy: . Jack just started to throw the mother of all tantrums when he doesnt get his own way or sophie god forbids takes one of his little dinosaurs/men/animal figures(he is very attatched to these things) which she does just to annoy him or get a reaction. I tried to give them to my friend this week but it was she just wasnt interested i wonder why?! x

23. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I get frustrated that "no!" is now their favorite word! I feel you and being pregnant doesn't help! Hang in there...it's gotta get better at some point (or at least I tell myself this several times a day)!

24. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

My kids are fine, but I may sell my husband...anyone interested?

25. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 4 2009, 06:55 PM) [snapback]1176115[/snapback]
    Now I'm going to kill myself ... :p

I said this exact sentence yesterday when I had to take both boys to get a tire changed only to find that my DH had taken the wallet out of my purse. So I had to load them BACK up, take them all the way home, get a checkbook, come back and start all over. Only when I returned there were 4 people ahead of me instead of none!!! Oh, and mind you this all happened at lunch time and spilled over into nap. So you can imagine how close I was to pulling the trigger :lol: . I can't imagine how you must be feelingadding pregnancy on top of all this! But you know what, I think you're a pretty tough cookie and you'll make it through. Hang in there :D

26. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BridgePort @ Feb 5 2009, 12:15 AM) [snapback]1176851[/snapback]
    It's not that they don't have the words to ask for what they want - they have the words that they need, but they just don't bother to use them. Instead they throw themselves on the ground and scream, apparently because we failed to read their minds and get them what they wanted before they asked for it?!

Yeesh. You'd think they were 2-year-olds or something. ;)

27. mandylouwho

mandylouwho Well-Known Member

NONE of mine sleep well, share well, eat well, and act nice any more I swear. Its cabin fever here too....when they are getting outside they are so much more manageable.

They are in their room right now being silly while Im on here being silly.

I will sell them to the highest bidder for one decent nights sleep. ;)

28. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(AlphaBeta @ Feb 4 2009, 10:45 AM) [snapback]1176106[/snapback]
    Not alone, and no advice. Mine ar 3.5 and I want to sell them, or at least rent them out, most of the time. I feel horrible, I work FT, and I only get an hour or so in the AM, and a few hours in the evening with them, and they seem to save up all their squabbles and whining for their time with me. Breakfast is a repetition of please eat your breakfast, for every bite, and walking them through every step of going potty and washing their hands (they dawdle so badly), and evening is a tightrope of trying to fix a healthy meal and spend quality time with them and stop the fighting and whining. Yesterday I ended up with both crying in the kitchen while I cooked and stopped to hug them as much as I could between chopping and stirring. They were just tired and hungry (despite after school snacks) and off their rockers.

Hugs. We only have 25 more years of this to look forward to!

I really thought I'd be a better parent. I have no patience some days. I wish my time with them was more idyllic. I wish logic worked all the time. I wish they'd listen. I wish they'd learn to share and be considerate. I wish they'd learn to take a deep breath when things aren't going their way instead of going postal. I feel like I'm a horrible example for my kids because I have lost my patience, because they don't listen until I'm on the 4th repetition and by that time I'm shouting to get their attention, because I sit down and cry when I can't take it anymore.

Sorry to rain on your parade. Hit home for me. Hugs, again!

ETA: There are short bursts of wonderfulness with them, and I try to focus on those. When they play together nicely, when they share, when they tell me they love me and tackle me with hugs and kisses (like this morning in bed when they had a contest to see who could kiss me the most), when they say something hysterical, when they need a hug and I can give it to them. I just try to put those first in my mind when I'm facing the terrible two - not the age, the number. They can be terriffic too.

I can totally relate to everything you are saying. I work FT, so my husband does dinner most nights. But sometimes i just count the minutes until they go to bed and I feel so guilty.

We had a rough Dec/Jan due to sicknesses and a messed up bedtime routine. We have since improved the bedtime routine, so that's going better. Also, they are clearly communicating their needs (a good and BAD thing), so that helps.

Jake is pretty chill, but Becca is a nightmare at night because if she doesn't get her way she screams and tantrums. It's so hard not to laugh. She also wants to do everything by herself - EVERYTHING.

Mornings are good, I usually let them hang out with me while i get ready for work (we have a nanny so no rush) but Becca won't let me dress her (or change her) most mornings. I hate that the nanny comes and she isn't dressed....

I'm so glad I'm not alone!

29. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

well i am just glad my 2 yr olds are not the only ones that dont listen.

30. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I so needed to hear this. I thought it was PPD that made me feel like I want to jump across the table and smack people every night. I get so tired of the defiance, the loud mouths, the inablility to eat sitting still without spilling something/chomping loudly/complaining... and that's just my DH. The kids are even more of a trial. :)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm SOOOO thankful and in love with them, but they really are driving me to the loony bin lately.

31. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 4 2009, 06:55 PM) [snapback]1176115[/snapback]
    Thanks Trish! Now I'm going to kill myself ... :p

:rofl: I am right there with ya. Mine are for sale on Craiglist. I figured "free pickup" might get some interest.

32. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I *heart* you guys!

As others have mentioned, we've got good days and bad days here (usually intersecting with how much sleep all of us have gotten ~ I have sleep issues ;) !)

I'll take a tantrum vs. the "Mommy sit down here" and mommy proceeds to *need* to sit on the floor, couch where ever, while they ignore me and play with each other. And the second I get up to go you know, load the dishwasher, throw a load of laundry in, etc, all holy hell breaks loose because I'm not *right* there :rolleyes:

33. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

We have good days and bad days and I just try to count hours or say tomorrow will be better. Doesn't always work but something to distract me for .5 seconds. Oh and I agree with ignoring the tantrums that does work unless the tantrum is being done on your lap and no matter how much you try to get up and walk away the toddler has strength over you! LOL

34. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

At 2.5, it started to get better. Verbal explosion! Communication prevents frustration for everyone. My girls are about to be 3 and I'm finally feeling like I can do this and not totally on the edge of a constant mental and physical breakdown.

35. DarciH

DarciH Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Feb 4 2009, 04:42 PM) [snapback]1175890[/snapback]
    Is it just me? I have ZERO patience for my kids! I'm sure it's partly the pregnancy thing ... but my DH isn't pregnant, and he's on his last nerve too! They fight over everything, they don't listen to a thing we say, they whine all the time! They don't understand "No!" ... it's just so HARD!

Ok ... am I the worst mom, or are some of you ready to sell your almost 2 year olds as well??

Sell?!? Are you kidding? There are days here lately when they are free to good homes. Mine aren't quite as old as yours are but it is already starting. One day they get along fine, then the next it's hitting, pushing, slapping...the list goes on. It explains why in the wild some animals eat their young. And I fear it won't end any time soon either, if everything my MIL and stepmom tells me is true, lol.

Overall though, they are really good kids and I wouldn't trade them for the world. But as others have similarly posted, bedtime can't come soon enough most nights...oy

Right there with ya girlie...