alternative pain relief during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Darlingcrys, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Darlingcrys

Darlingcrys Member

Okay so I am new to this site and I am loving all the advice people have. I am currently 27 weeks pregnant with twin boys. After four healthy single pregnancies (thought I was done) I had the surprise of my life when I found out not only was I pregnant (again) but carrying twins! I was not ready for how hard this pregnancy was going to be on my body. I really thought this was going to be a breeze like my others boy was I wrong. I am very small and have a very short torso, so baby B has been growing between my hips the entire time. Recently my doctor put me on pain medicine because I was not doing well at all. Along with the hip pain and the usual growing pains and such it just became unbearable. I don't like taking medicine but at the time I didn't know what else to do. I don't want to continue taking these meds soI have done a few things to try and help. I am doing physical therapy, pool therapy, yoga stretches ect. I also use the DOTerra essential oils for almost everything in my life. Do any of you use alternative pain relief? That includes herbal remidies, certain foods and such. Tell me what you all have used that worked for you I am very interested in gaining some ideas that may help me. Thank you all so much! ♡♥♡

2. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

You should be aware that herbal remedies are not required to be labeled if they're not safe for pregnant women! Herbs are just as much a medicine as pharmaceuticals, but they're not regulated by the FDA the same way. It's always a good idea to check with your OB first before using any herbal remedy. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

In any case, I'm 24 weeks right now and had sciatica for a couple months due to the position of the babies. They have moved since then and I feel much better, but I mostly just tried to find comfortable positions, put my feet up, use a lot of pillows, etc. I would imagine that anything that's recommended to use during labor would also be fine to use during pregnancy, such as hot/cold packs, showers/baths, massage, stretching, etc. As far as I know there is no such thing as a food that will give you pain relief. You could also consider acupuncture or acupressure, which are generally considered safe during pregnancy (but can be pricey).

3. Darlingcrys

Darlingcrys Member

Thank you so much! I do clear with my doctor in everything I do since I do know that some herbal remedies can be just has harmful. I love knowing what other people are doing that has helped them. I really do appreciate your input. Congratulations btw on your pregnancy its very scary but exciting news. I have tried just about everything to get this baby to move out of my pelvis he just likes it way to much I guess. Out of all my pregnancies this has been the hardest one. I am thinking it may be time to start moving responsibilities around so I get a little more time to get off my feet. That would probably be the most helpful *sigh* it will all be worth it in the end only a few months to go!

4. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Do you have access to a pool or is there a gym near you that has a pool??? That was the BIGGEST help for me! I was on modified bed rest but the doc cleared me to be able to float/walk in our pool ... They babies would move everywhere then, it was great for my back/sciatica!

5. Darlingcrys

Darlingcrys Member

Yes I do actually my physical therapy has a pool and it is part of my therapy. Its sweet relief for two hours a week. If I could live in there I would! Unfortunately this baby loves his spot way to much. We tried last night the flashlight with no success we did have a lot of fun doing it though made us giggle. I think I have to surrender to the fact that having a multiple pregnancy isn't easy and it's okay because in the end I will have two beautiful babies to hold and love.

6. AKilburn

Haha! I never tried the flash light. Two other things I did was Epsom salts baths ( cleared by my doc) and I lived on biofreeze .... LOVE that stuff! I got it in this roll on applicator so I didn't get it all over my hands.

You're going to have discomfort ... There's not a whole lot of room in there, lol. Jacksonwas in my left rib all the time .... Oh man the pain would wake me up at night, I'd try to get him to move and he'd go right back to the same place, lol!

You'll miss it once they're born, I know it sounds silly but you do.

7. Darlingcrys

Darlingcrys Member

Lol ya they say the flashlight may help them move it made them wiggle but neither one went anywhere helpful. What is biofreeze? Is that kinda like an icy hot thing (without the hot)? I am going to have to look for that. I realized very quickly about the discomfort really sucks but I know its what has to be done. I say this now knowing I will feel differently after they are born but I can't imagine missing this party that is going on inside of me. In all fairness I am not always miserable I enjoy a lot of different things in this pregnancy. I am anxious to see them that's for sure. Thank you very much for your comments

8. AKilburn

Yeah its like icy hot without the hot and a lot better! I think CVS is now carrying it.

I wasn't saying you'd miss the pain, but the feeling of them in there. Its funny at least for me there were times I know I was miserable but I dont remember them as much as I do them kicking, getting the hiccups, flipping around, or "break dancing "

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

if you don't already get a body pillow to sleep with...I had a Snoogle (which was shaped like a giant C) and it wrapped around to my head and between my legs...having a pillow between my legs helped with my back pain a lot!