Amazing Race

Discussion in 'General' started by MichelleL, Jan 31, 2010.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I am giddy with excitement!! :woo: I just saw a commercial for the new season of Amazing Race. :yahoo:

ETA: Here is a link to the CBS webpage for the show.

2. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Now I'm giddy, too! This is my favorite reality show. :clapping:

3. MichelleL

:laughing: I feel like you are following me around this forum...and I like it!! :clapping: I'm so glad we have another one in common. :D

4. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link - this is one of my favorite shows too. So let's see - we have the dating couples (including perhaps the "best-known" contestant on the show this time - Caite Upton who earned fame a few years ago for her rambling geographic response in the Miss Teen USA pageant - hope she's studied up on her geography since then, but I'm guessing since she's now at UCLA she's much more intelligent than we realize! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII), the grandmother/granddaughter combo, professional bullriding brothers, married couples, friends from Boston, more models, a middle-aged lesbian couple, a former (female) Big Brother winner, and then a coach of the Cleveland Indiands with his daughter. Sounds like another interesting mix. No twins or twin connections again as far as I can see - and only 11 teams - don't they usually have more? The show's first episode takes them to Chile.

5. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I loved Jeff and Jordan on Big Brother! I hope they do a good job on AR.

6. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Ohhh, I'm so excited! I'll have to tell my DD it is starting again. We started watching this together on Sunday nights last fall. I think she mostly enjoyed the guilty priviledge of staying up later than her brothers, watching TV with me!

All the couples look interesting. I enjoyed Jeff and Jordan on BB, but I don't know how much I'll enjoy them on the AR.

The HS sweethearts and father/daughter teams struck a cord with me when I read their bio's.

I can't wait for the new season to start! :)

7. shoudeshell

shoudeshell Well-Known Member

Yay! I cannot wait for this one to start! :woo: I love this show!

8. twinstuff-old

Any quick favorites or dislikes among the teams this go-around? My boys like Caite and Brent (Miss Teen USA) and Joran and Jett. We didn't like Brandy's team or the two brothers from Rhode Island (they were each rude to the Miss Teen USA contestant). Good first episode - Chile had some neat scenery and was a good place to start the race. I'm not sure if there are any teams that will become huge favorites although I'll predict the 71-year-old grandmother and her granddaughter won't last long and I'm not sure about the rodeo brothers either.

9. MichelleL

I got the same vibes you did about Brandy and also the brothers from RI. That was just not necessary to pick on Caite (Miss Teen South Carolina) like that. :( I felt that Jordan and Jeff are a very strong team and probably the ones to beat.

I was so surprised how everyone seemed so lost yesterday. I remember other seasons where there were a few teams that were slow to "get" the race but yesterday it seemed like most of them were running in circles. :laughing:

I was cracking up when the detectives from RI were picking on each other because "Grandma" was way ahead of them going up that hill. She's a firecracker!!

I don't see the rodeo brothers lasting. Seriously, Brizilian money for Chile? This isn't spring break, they should have studied a little bit more before they left.

If Louie and Michael said "baby" to each other one more time I was going to scream!! :laughing:

I thought the team that went home was amazing. Their support and caring for each other was apparent and that was just so sweet. Very sad to see them go though.

Here's my list of the teams for easy reference. :D

Brent and Caite - models/former Miss Teen SC - SC
    Carol and Brandy - dating - CA
    Dana and Adrian - high school sweethearts - TX
    Jet and Cord - cowboy brothers - OK
    Jody and Shannon - grandmother and granddaughter - TX
    Joe and Heidi - married - CA
    Dan and Jordan - brothers - RI
    Jordan and Jeff - dating/former Big Brother cast mates - IL/NC
    Louie and Michael - detectives - RI
    Monique and Shawn - mompreneurs - NJ/MD
    Steve and Alice - dad and daughter - CA

10. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I think one advantage that Jeff and Jordan have is being used to the camera and completing challenges. That said, it is like watching dumb and dumber (that's what it was like in Big Brother too and she managed to win). As to the rest of the teams, no real opinions yet.

11. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I am with some of the others - there appear to be a lot of very weak (clueless?) teams this season. I also thought it was a relatively easy 1st leg although perhaps that high wire deal was tough, especially on the bigger competitors.

Don't underestimate the rodeo brothers. I think they might be a heck of a lot better athletes than you might expect.

12. MichelleL

Watching dumb and dumber? :laughing: Classic!

I imagine the rodeo boys are pretty athletic but do they have enough worldly knowledge to get them through?

13. MichelleL

Well if last night's show is an indication of what the cowboys are capable of, I definitely underestimated them!! :blink: They did such an awesome job and made me laugh so much!!

I was not pleased that Joe and Heidi "saved a spot" for Carol and Brandy when getting the bus tickets. I know it's a race and all, but I just didn't like that for some reason.

So Louie and Michael are "detectives", they honestly can't seem to find their way out of a paper bag. :laughing: They were pretty comical though.

I was sad to see grandma and Shannon leave because the grandma was just so sweet. But they did need to have a little bit more fire under their tushies.

Definitely a great show all around. I enjoyed every minute of it!!

14. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I was happy that the Cowboys did so well last night. I don't know if it was skill or if they just happened to have a bit of good luck, but I am rooting for them. I still like Jeff and Jordan also.

15. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I love Big Brother and I love Amazing Race and last night showed how totally different they are.

16. MichelleL

Because the Big Brother couple got eliminated?

I loved the cowboys positive attitude about all the wrong turns they were taking. :laughing:

I bet Allie's mom/Steve's wife is going to get a big pat on the back for putting the duct tape in at the last second!! That saved them tons of time since they didn't need to call for another car.

I'm liking this season, but finding it to be sort of tame and predictable. Still a good season overall though.

17. twinstuff2

This group of teams is probably the weakest group they've ever had. But at the same time, for the most part, they're nice and not cut-throat contestants. I would think that the model team is living on thin ice themselves based on their general level of cluelessness, and that we are looking at an older team winning, unless one of the brother teams wins.

18. MichelleL

I agree about the models being clueless! And...they spend a little too much time fighting.

19. sulik110202

I was hoping the models would go home last night. I find them to be very annoying with the way they constantly bicker back and forth.

I still think the challenges seem kind of weak this year. I still like the show though.

20. MichelleL

I wonder if it will ever get cut-throat or if it will just be a tame season??

I don't want the cowboys gone!! I hope they can pull through next week and save themselves. I felt bad for Steve and Allie when they realized they no longer had backpacks. I can't imagine...I would have gone back for mine. :blush:

21. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I would have gone back for mine as well. They knew they were in the front group with an hour lead on some of the groups. I would have spent the 20 or so minutes it would have taken to go get them and not worried about being in first place. If they were towards the back of the group or really not sure where everyone else was on the race, then I would have sacrificed them.

22. summershine

summershine New Member

I have managed to catch a couple of episodes of the show, I gotta say I like it :) Hope to watch more!

23. twinstuff-old

Sunday's episode was another fun one to watch. My boys have gotten into it too for the first time. Unsolicited one of my eight-year-olds pretended to be the show's host and offered the following commentary as the bickering women's team with Brandy checked in just ahead of the cowboys. "You are the fifth team to arrive. But nobody likes you so we've decided to send you home." In case you're wondering, I'm fairly confident he gets that sarcastic wit from me... [​IMG]

24. MichelleL

Is this the first season you've watched? It is quite a show!! Definitely tune in for more. :good:

:rotflmbo: That is awesome!!

25. threebecamefive

I finally got to watch the end last night. I'm so glad the cowboys didn't have to go home! I just hope they can survive next week.

I really wish the two woman would get eliminated. I don't know which one of them is the awful one (or maybe they both are??), but I'm just tired of all the complaining, and "this is not what I signed up for" complaints. And they can be so rude to each other, and have been a bit snarky to a couple of the other teams.

Go Steve and Allie! Love the father/daughter combo! (did I get their names right?? :blush: )

26. MichelleL

What a surprise for the cowboys to pull out into the front again!! :Clap: They are definitely my favorites to win!!

I'm glad Carol and Brandy are gone. I am just so done with their whining and bickering. Brent and Caite can be next although to get the brothers out and leave Brent and Caite in for the final 3 might give the cowboys a better chance. The brothers do have the physical ability so that will give the cowboys a run for their money in the end.

I can't wait for tonight's show to see who's next!!

27. twinstuff2

Hopefully you can wait another week Michelle since there was no show (it was pre-empted in favor of the Country Music Award show).

28. MichelleL

I can't!! But I will. :D I knew the CMA's were on tonight...just wasn't thinking when I posted this.

29. MichelleL

So....I sort of fell asleep toward the end for a little bit, probably missed about 15 minutes. I did see the detectives make it in last but not get eliminated.

I saw a commercial last night saying there are just two episodes left. Any thoughts on this week's upcoming show?

30. threebecamefive

Down to the final three! I'm not at all impressed with the brothers and really wish they would have been eliminated. I think the tantrums they seem to always have has totally turned me off to them. They also seem to be more negative than positive in their approach to situations and that is annoying to me.

I'll be rooting for the cowboys, but won't be too upset if the models win. I really don't want the brothers to win. Who are the rest of you pulling for?

Is it just me, or did the detectives seem a little clueless? I liked them as a team, but had a hard time imagining them as two of NYC's finest. Granted, I know very little about the reality of being a detective and what the job entails, but they just didn't seem all that observant, smart (not saying they were dumb - just clueless as times), and analytical . . . traits I am assuming most detectives would inheritely posses.

31. MichelleL

Yes, they did seem a little clueless. I really liked them, but I think they got so far out of luck. :laughing:
    They aren't NYC detectives, they are from Rhode Island. :good:

I agree, I did NOT want the brothers in there. I think the cowboys are the ones who deserve to win because of how well they have played the game all the while remaining respectful to each other almost the whole time. I will be rooting for them 100%!!!!

32. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I will be disappointed if the cowboys don't win. They have had the best attitude throughout the show. I remember the first episode thinking they had gotten in over their head, but they have really shown us since then. Both the other teams are whiny brats.

33. sulik110202

I am pulling for the Cowboys. They have worked together well, supported each other, they don't bicker back and forth like the other teams and there is no drama with them. They seem like nice guys and I hope they win! It would be good to see the nice guys finish 1st for a change!

34. MichelleL

Ditto to you both!! :clapping:

35. threebecamefive

I'm in agreement with y'all about the cowboys!!! They are by far my favorites! Although, like I said earlier, if they don't win, I would rather the boy/girl couple (names??) win rather than the brothers. Really don't like the brothers.

I have loved how well the cowboys have played the game, been nice to each-other, and the other teams. I'm looking forward to next week.