American Girl Doll Clothes

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sulik110202, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

My daughter is getting an American Girl doll for Christmas from my MIL. I want to get her some more outfits, but the AG prices are crazy. Do the "generic" 18" doll clothes fit an AG doll? Or are the AG girls slightly different sizes where you need to buy their clothes? Thank you.

2. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the 18" doll. Some are thinner than AG dolls, but some fit pretty well. Maybe take the doll to the store and ask a clerk if you can try it on to see?

ETA: I just realized you don't have the doll yet. Does anyone you know personally have one? That might be an option. I can't remember where we've gotten clothes from that worked well. I do have quite a few free sewing patterns for AG doll clothes, if you sew.

3. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls both have two AG dolls and I do not buy from the AG store bc they are too expensive so for my girls I have bought many clothes from Necessary Extras Their prices are much better than AG clothes. Also, the toysrus version doll clothes fit great too.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

They're all close enough in size that we haven't found any issues mixing and matching generic clothes with AG dolls. I think we have clothes from ToysRUs and Target and a few craft fairs - and they all fit fine. I have found problems with some of the shoes, though, so you may want to wait for those until you see the actual shape of the AG doll's foot.

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd agree that most of the other clothes I've found tend to fit. My mom has sewed most of the clothes for Sarah's dolls. I've only ever had problems with shoes from other places. Most of them fit, but some don't.

I'd also suggest Etsy if there is a specific look. (And I also sell some knitted stuff on etsy for AG dolls).

Marissa

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Yes they do. Every outfit we have bought that is for the 18" has worked so far.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Target and Joann/Michaels crafts carries the clothes and they fit fine so far!

I tend to get them at Joann/Micheals and use a 40% off coupon! Whooo Hoooo- so much cheaper!

Kohls carries 18" doll and girl (girl person! size 4-8) sets. We have gotten some of those and they are so cute! Matching Pjs/ dresses, etc.

We have AG girl look-alikes. But both girls cousins have real AG and they all play with all the clothes and they fit the dolls-- the exception is some of the shoes.

8. Utopia122

You can get the at KMart, too. We picked up PJ's with matching doll pj's for like $9 and they work.

9. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies. I am heading out Christmas shopping today and didn't want to buy a bunch of clothes that wouldn't end up fitting. I need to check out Kohl's because my daughter wants a party dress to match her doll and the AG prices are more than i spend on winter coats!

10. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

Check Tuesday Morning if you have one local to you. They have the clothes for the Target 18" dolls on sale there. They are just the ones from last year at Target, so the packaging is the only difference. Some of the outfits were the same still being sold at Target. One of ours also had some of the bigger accessories too like beds and the horse.

11. Utopia122

Oh yeah, crazy prices! I watch for sales if I buy from AG. Everything is super high, and if your girl is anything like mine, they don't know the difference, they just want mathing outfits.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I bought some last year that were meant for the "My Generation" 18" dolls at Target, and they did NOT fit my DDs' AG dolls. They were just a bit too small -- I could squeeze the dolls into the clothes, but they looked funny. From now on I will stick exclusively to things that say "Fits American Girl dolls." There are tons of choices on eBay and etsy -- I've bought a few of those too, and they all fit fine.