American Idol Season 10 (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff-old, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

LOL, tonights episode was a snoozefest. I mean for real, if I wanted a recap of the same freakin performers I have already seen sing before I would not have watched. I really like that guy that looks like the Simply Red guy as well. It was almost like they said you do not have a painful story so try to think up something :aggressive:

I agree on the sob stories. Welcome to the insensitive club :youcandoit:

Oh and TIffany Rios is just staying around for TV drama, her singing made my dog howl!!!!

2. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I agree with my brother that potentially they can put together a top 10 finalist list that easily passes the overall talent level of finalists in recent years. Although my guess is there will be some in there who we haven't seen much of yet. In addition to the Simply Red 16-year-old (Brett Loewenstern) ,my boys and wife like the deep-voiced young country singer (Scotty) who was in the Milwaukee audition. And I like a pair of 15-year-olds, Jacee Badeaux and Lauren Alaina. I'll call him Just-chin Bieber. Casey Abrams is also good, but we've already had a blues-singer go too far on Idol before (Taylor Hicks) so I do wonder when his style might begin to become tiresome. I was also happy to hear that chirpy voice Emily Anne made it as part of the 160 (!) to make it another week.

3. Chrissy Nelson

You made me almost pee myself!!! I would like to see Seth Rogan win, however I think we are going to have a youngin take the cake this year. I mean come on that is where the money is made.

4. Chrissy Nelson

This is a good article http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41523463/ns/today-entertainment/ It keeps it real.

5. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Wait. You mean Steven Tyler doesn't win the whole shebang this year? :eek: ;)

Snoozefest is right. But this particular Hollywood episode is always that way. I usually don't even watch but of course I did. Some great potential though. And a wide range from the quaint little girl that lots of people loved (her house burned down) whom I don't really care for at all thus far to the deep voiced country boy the chubby but adorable 15 year old and on. I think (hope) we might be in for a treat when the real competition starts.

I have to say it is uncanny how much Chris Medina looks like Brian's guitar teacher, Josh. Even Brian can't get over it. They could be twins (although Chris is heavier) if Josh didn't already have a twin! His looks, his mannerisms, his speech - everything. It's a little unsettling actually. And how sweet of Steven to ask about Juli.

Even I am over the sob stories at this point though. Just freakin' sing already!

6. Chrissy Nelson

So who is your favorite Kim?? That deep voiced country kid is a nice surprise isn't he. Not my thing but he makes me smile when he gets up there. I was hoping he would sing something else.

I bet if you take the sob stories out of that show last night along with the commercials you probably had 15 minutes of singing. It is frustrating. Then next week is groups. Which is always drama, more sob story recap, in case we did not get it the first 4 times they forced it to us then maybe singing.

7. Mama_Kim

Duh. Steven. :lol:

I'm not sure yet. I still keep looking for that Adam that is so elusive. I've got to stop. The Tourette's dude vocally is similar, but he needs a lot of work, both emotionally and physically. He's just not polished enough. But he's got great vocals. I really love Chris Medina too (especially that song he wrote for Juli on what would have been their wedding day) but will have to see what he does on the show. That country kid has the most amazingly rich, deep voice. I'm so not a country fan necessarily but I can appreciate talent when I hear it. And the little chubby boy has such a pure, beautiful voice! Then there's the Seth Rogen dude. Just too early for me to call.

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Kim that is crazy about his teacher. I bet when you see pictures of Chris a year ago, he will even look more like him because he was thinner.

Last night was amazing. I would guess there were about 500 people. They sold 400 shirts. They had both shirts for Chris and ones they sold at Julis benefit right after the accident that said "wake up sleeping beauty".

When I walked in, there were cameras all surrounding Chris. It was nuts. When I went to say hi to him, I could tell all he wanted was to get back to her. I am pretty sure Juli was in a back room the whole time as it would be too much. Right after the cameras left Chris, I am pretty sure he went to the back room to watch the show with Juli because I did not see him the rest of the night. When Juli left, the cameras were all over her as they wheeled her out. I just continue to be so happy about the attention this is bringing to Juli and the amount of money that continues to be raised.

9. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Then you better keep BUH-RINGIN' it Mark! :rofl:

I don't like chirpy girl either, but I agree there's some "mad talent" going on! I'll pick my faves when they whittle it down a little!!! I think Terrets guy isn't going to make it to the final show.

Nicole, I'm thrilled for Chris and the attention it's getting for Juli - I thought Chris was going to cry when Steven asked about her last night!!! :faint: I'm hoping he's on the show!!!

And Craig - Just-Chin Bieber! :rofl: I almost spit my breakfast out when I read that!!! :laughing: That's TERRIBLE! You should be ashamed of yourself!

10. Chrissy Nelson

Hello super boring show tonight. Thank goodness for the drama with the chubby kid. I did feel bad for him.

My new favorite person is "That Guy". Come on That Guy take it all the way. Well either him or Seth Rogan because everyone else is boring me.

11. twinstuff-old

Since Ms. Jujubes is gone (author of that line my brother quoted above), we'll have to find someone else to make fun of. Miss Drama Queen comes to mind. They kept teasing us tonight with some of our favorites would be sent home, but I'm not sure who was sent home that was considered a potential finalist? That group of 15/16 year-old singers with the stage moms all sounded pretty good although I don't know any of their names yet. And after never hearing C-Lo's "Forget You" (we'll use the friendlier song title here) before the Grammy's Sunday night (Yeah, I know, I am so out of the musical loop), I guess I know the song a lot better than that last singer who made up his own lyrics for it and then got sent home.

They need to whittle these numbers down dramatically. Still having 100 singers left at this point is pretty crazy.

12. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I felt bad for Just-Chin Bieber as Craig calls him (also I've seen him referred to as Justin Blubber but that's just mean). But the bottom line to me is he shouldn't have been sent through to the next round.

I always enjoy this show and I thought there were some interesting groups. Maybe a little too much 'Forget You' renditions, but overall I saw some folks who they hadn't featured much who really impressed me. Pia Toscano was one in the first group who was good - Lauren Turner was another early one who I liked. Jordan Dorsey is good but cocky as all get out. Lauren Alaina will be one of the final 5-7 for sure (and I don't know why some of the other girls in that group that sang to Steven Tyler didn't get through with her??. But maybe the one who they showed briefly tonight who wowed me the most was Ashton Jones - she was in that group with Ashley - that emotional girl from Massachusetts who almost quit the show. I want to see her some more - she sounded like someone you already hear on the radio.

And I don't get the love affair with some of the folks who get a lot of air time - like James Durbin. Julie Zorrilla didn't do much tonight but she's through because she looks like Kim Kardashian.

13. Chrissy Nelson

There is way too many people getting too much airtime, I think it might be for a couple reasons. They make it through to the top 12 or however many. Or they make for interesting stories. I however am not a fan of it because those that are not "featured" players that do get through never make it through because they did not receive the airtime.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mama_Kim

I cannot possibly focus on the show when Steven is so adorable. :lol:

The chubby boy just about broke my heart though. :( So glad they did not send him home. Those teens were great but I do agree their moms should not be able to be giving them help. I think they would have done well anyway, but it doesn't seem right. Let them stand on their own two feet. Oh, and the Adam wannabee with Tourette's is grating on my last nerve. Looking forward to getting down to the competition.

15. twinstuff2

Reading through some blogs this morning, I see where one of the cuts last night was Lara Johnston, who is the 20-year-old daughter of Doobie Brothers lead singer Tom Johnston. She was in the group last night with Julie Zorrilla - I'll have go back to the DVR and check her out again. It's too bad she didn't make it as she could have been the 2nd child of a Doobie Brother to win Idol (after Michael McDonald's son Taylor Hicks :)

Here's some more news and videos of her if you want more information on her.

http://www.localmusicvibe.com/content/lara-johnston-novato-ca-passes-sf-american-idol-audition-feb-9-2010

16. Chrissy Nelson

:rotflmbo: Make that 3rd. Who was the guy whose wife died, Danny something. I think he might have been a member. Takin it to the streets.

17. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Right? I am glad I'm not the only one who he's pissing off. :lol:

I am happy they kept that young man BUT if they kept him I think they should have kept the last guy from "three's company" ... he really (I think) had a great voice. LOVED it... he didn't know the words though. :( The young teen does not, imo, sing better then him... but I'm not a judge. :p

I LOVED how no one wanted to be in the group with that Jersey Princess. :rotflmbo: LOVED IT! That's what she gets for being a b!tch. And the gal with her got screwed for being nice.

18. Mama_Kim

I thought so too, Liz. However, the chubby kid had a better attitude. I personally think it's why they kept him (even though he made up lyrics to sing) versus this guy. He really had a piss poor attitude about it all and while I liked his voice he just didn't appear to really be trying. And c'mon, after hearing that song all night last night,even I knew the lyrics! :lol:

19. Chrissy Nelson

I know right Kim. There are a few songs that I used to like ie, Grenade and Forget You but not anymore. I would like to see exactly how many choices of songs they get to pick from and why would you pick one you have no idea what it is. That guy did have a good voice but he just wanted his woman back. i think he is going to go stand in the street and attempt to get hit by a bus since she said they will never get back together.

20. twinstuff-old

I wonder why they didn't show more of Tom Johnston's daughter (not just a member of the Doobie Brothers but one of their co-founders and singer/writer of some pretty big hits like Long Train Running and Chna Grove). I was researching it just now too and she finished fifth on an MTV show I had never heard of - Rock The Cradle. That was two years ago and Kenny Loggins' son Crosby (better be a musician with the name Crosby Loggins) won that show the only year it aired.

21. Chrissy Nelson

So all the people I thought would go through tonight went through. I still think they have way too many people but what do I know. I am kinda surprised I am still watching the BS shows.

22. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I like it better this year!

I think it's going to be a great season! I don't know which chick is the Doobie's DD, but I'll look tomorrow!

I'm FINALLY sold on the Seth Rogan/Bass guy! CuhRazy!

Why they kept Gap toothed cryer, I'll never know! :faint:

23. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Because she is from my hometown! :laughing: She is definitely out there!

24. twinstuff2

Wow, I am impressed with some of the talent this year! I mentioned Ashthon Jones last night - she and Alaina might be my two favorite women right now. But I may have a new overall favorite in Jacob Lusk - forget James Durbin's Adam Lambert wannabes - Lusk can do some crazy vocals and stay in tune and make it interesting and not screeching to boot. I definitely want to see what he does from here out.

I think for the most part they did a good job of getting the right 48 through. However, there was one huge glaring exception (Ashley Sullivan). Maybe two if you count the deep voiced country singer who forgot the words to the song I wrote (well Mark Sanders wrote it but not this Mark Sanders). But at least that guy has shown a little bit in the past - the other one got through purely because she makes good theater I guess??

Oh yes - the Seth Rogan guy is good too. I'll put him with Jacob Lusk as my two early favorites on the guys side.

25. Mama_Kim

Oh I do think there is some amazing talent being shown. I loved Jacob Lusk too, Mark. He's the guy who the judges gave the standing ovation, right? And then he was so emotionally overwhelmed he was crying? What an amazing, amazing talent. But really, some great performance and voices showcased. And I loved watching Steven's face as they sang. Pure bliss. He was loving every minute.

BTW, if I ever make it to Idol and Steven is still a judge, I am going to have him sit in a chair on stage so I can sing to him too. :D

26. Chrissy Nelson

Jacob Luck is good but I cannot stand the expressions he makes when he sings, if he is the same one I am thinking of. I really really like the middle eastern looking guy, younger played the piano. Talk about a smooth voice. WOW!!! I do not understand why Just-Chin is still around other than he is sweet. I also love the Simply Red singer. But really Seth Rogan is my man. I am still going with Blondie that sings to Steven to win it all. Her voice is really good, she has the look and she is young.

Oh but my closet fav is That Guy. How funny is he.

27. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Oh that guy made me cry! :cry: He is a great singer but his reaction afterwards won me over. :lol:

I agree with EVERYTHING you wrote but the Seth Rogan guy... I really, really don't see the appeal in him. :pardon: Just-chin should have been let go tonight.

28. Mama_Kim

That's what makes me tear up when I do, how much some of these people just live this and want this so badly. It's their life's dream. Very emotional for me.

Seth Rogen dude (can never remember his name) was so cool with the stand-up bass. Definitely stood out although his singing wasn't as great as some of the others.

Wonder how Beatles week will be?

29. twinstuff-old

Wow, just watched Jacob Lusk sing God Bless The Child and he was incredible. He has stage presence too, right? I'll be anxious to see more of him. As long as the decisions in Vegas and Hollywood don't mess up too much there could be the best final ten since the season with Daughtry, Elliot Yamin, Katherine McPhee and Taylor Hicks.

30. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

He was a bit ridiculously over the top. But he has amazing talent if they could teach him to reign it in just a tad.

31. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I could not get over how talented he was. More like a real musican than an American Idol.

32. Chrissy Nelson

FYI due to me never being able to be surprised by anything here is a list to the top 24 for anyone interested. There were surprising cuts and surprising people still in My link Do not know how reliable it is.

33. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I cant wait until this week! I could not open the link but I do know that TMZ has been making a report and Joes Place blog that Chris is out...I guess we just have to wait and see!!!

34. Mama_Kim

Mark, if you're reading this thread, just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :D Hope you have a great day!

35. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm :rofl: Reading this thread! We have all these names for all these people (most not their real names!) but I know who you guys are talking about!! :laughing: This might be a fun season afterall!!!

I was thinking this was a good place to wish Mark a :birthday: since this is the only place we see him! Good call Kim! :good: