American Idol Season 10 (2011)

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff-old, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I wonder what is wrong with Casey, if it was so bad he needed a blood transfusion... I am super happy he is hack in.

Possible male song spoilers for next week http://www.votefortheworst.com/

2. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Interesting choices if those are true. I agree that although Jacob Lusk is supremely talented I am going to get real tired of him real soon.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Should be interesting! I think that Jordan is tainted and the judges did that to him on purpose. I'd put him out in the early going!

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, if they really liked him the editors would have worked their magic to downplay it.

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Clint as well! (I'm going to get tired of his thick framed glasses quickly!)

6. Chrissy Nelson

I think he is super annoying. I agree.

7. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

For those following or care(!), I mentioned Chris will be on Ellen on Monday but it is not on her schedule so I dont know....he may have taped it but we will see.

He will be on Regis and Kelly on Monday.

8. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I'm confused about all the changes to Idol but apparently the show is on three days this week (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) with the 12 boys performing in a two hour show on Tuesday, the girls performing on Wednesday and the results show on Thursday.

I had thought it was live tomorrow and Wednesday but now I'm not so sure about that. They've definitely taped something already - I"m sure the results show is live but the performances might be taped unfortunately.

In any regard, there will be five boys and five girls to go through, as chosen by the judges. The final three 'wildcard' finalists are chosen by I'm not sure - might be viewers' votes and it might not be.

9. Chrissy Nelson

It was recorded on Friday with the guys, not sure when the girls is recorded. I am assuming tonight. I also read somewhere that AI is doing online voting.

10. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Mark had also emailed me the list of songs the guys are performing (usually his source for songs is pretty spot-on with perhaps one or two changes at most). Anyway, the list of songs was pretty good with only a couple we had not heard of before. And Casey had the honor of performing last according to his list. Clint was leading off the show with Stevie Wonder.

11. Chrissy Nelson

I posted that spoiler list I think on the last page. It even goes as far as to give the judges thoughts on some of the people.

Here is the girls list... http://www.joesplaceblog.com/2011/02/american-idol-10-the-top-12-girls-taping/

12. twinstuff2

Well I was just using Chrissy's link (but actually vftw got it from joesplaceblog.com). They have the list of songs for the girls now and it's not as interesting I'd say as the boys' list. The most interesting thing to me is Pia Zaccoro is in the final spot, which they like to refer to as the 'pimp' spot. I do think there are several girls among the top 24 who are very forgettable. There are a couple who could do okay and while I could see a girl winning it all, in general, I think the guys are more talented and interesting to watch this year than the girls.

13. Chrissy Nelson

Side note, it seems so many AI contestants in the past few years sing the same few songs... mix it up people.

14. Mama_Kim

*yawn* I really hope someone spices it up. That girls' list is total snoozeville. And the guys' isn't much better. Really, I should just not read the spoilers.It totally ruins the spontaneity (what little there is) of the whole thing. Must make resolution.

15. Chrissy Nelson

LOL Kim, well if anyone wants to reclick on the girls list they have updated it with the judges responses. Not sure I really like any of the girls.

16. twinstuff2

Wow, some very amazing performances tonight. I'm telling you - there is some amazing talent out there. It will be tough to get down to just five. The last two performances in particular compared to some of the best I've seen from this show in the past few years (including some of the top songs by Adam Lambert and David Cook).

17. Chrissy Nelson

My thoughts...

1. Clint Gamboa: Superstitious – Not a fan, He was OK but it has been done so many times

2. Jovany Barreto: I’ll Be – Again it has been done so many times, I did not care for it

3. Jordan Dorsey: OMG – OMG is right, WTF was he thinking.

4. Tim Halperin: Streetcorner Symphony/Come on Over – I love Tim but this song was a horrible one

5. Brett Loewenstern: Light My Fire – I thought justi Bieber flipped his hair alot. Allison even said he should have sang Willow Smith "Whip Your Hair" I think he has a good voice though

6. James Durbin: You Got Another Thing Comin’- He did GREAT. The mic seemed to have an echo effect though did anyone else notice that?

7. Robbie Rosen: In the Arms of An Angel -I am still asleep from this performance.

8. Scotty McCreery: Letters From Home – Not a country fan but this kids voice is amazing

9. Stefano Langone: Just The Way You Are -Good voice but I felt he was rushing and that the song was too fast

10. Paul McDonald – Maggie Mae – I love this guy. Not sure what it is about him but he is so unique and cute and i love the way he moved. Everything about him. He is my 2

11. Jacob Lusk: House Is Not A Home – Again not my style but very good

Pimp Spot: Casey Abrams: – I Put A Spell On You – Seriously Casey is the man. He has got to take it all!!! How amazing is he!!

18. twinstuff-old

One real standout performance tonight, many other quirky, good ones, a few other middle-of-the-road ones that were adequate and only a couple that really fell flat.

My wife and kids are burning the phone lines voting for Scotty, but I think the ones who make it through easily are Jacob, Casey, Paul and James. Then I think it will be closer in voting for Scotty and maybe Brett? If someone gets in ahead of those six I could see a judge trying to vote one of them in.

It was nice to see the musical performances take center stage over the judging and bad audtions and it's certainly a much deeper talent pool than recent years in terms of quality of male singers.

ETA: I definitely think the two best of the night were the last two performances - Jacob picked a perfect song and delivered an unbelievable rendition of A House is Not a Home. And then I guess I have to bump Casey up a bit for picking a 55-year-old song (I Put a Spell on You first came out in 1956) and making it sound modern. I guess it was used last year in a fund-raising effort for Haiti hurricane victims, but he's the type of performer who you just want to see what he'll do each week. Which I really only recall happening with Adam Lambert and perhaps Taylor Hicks on Idol.

19. twinstuff2

I'd rank them T1 between Casey and Jacob. It will be fun watching those two every week.

Then T3 between Paul and James. Something about Paul annoys me - maybe it's all the finger snapping he's always doing. I think he can be a minor pop star on his own but I'm not sure if Idol is the right venue for him.

Then T5 for Brett and Scotty. Brett reminds me of the guy on Glee with his insecurities. Scotty is fine - just not a country music fan.

But the one I actually think the judges could consider saving is Jordan. OMG wasn't a good choice but he wasn't awful with it - and at least he had energy up there. Some of the other guys aren't bad and are better than finalists we've had in past years but I don't care if we've seen the last of Jovany, Tim, Robbie, Clint and Stefano.

20. seamusnicholas

My favorites:

Casey- he is just crazy talented!

James- good performance-so comfortable

Scotty- Amazing voice (makes you want to like country if you are not a country fan...which I am not!)

21. Mama_Kim

I was not impressed the first half of the show. I say it every season, but it never ceases to amaze me the songs they choose! I'll Be has been done a million times. You have ANY SONG in the world to pick and you pick this? Seriously, people. Ugh. Once James Durbin, even Brett Loewenstern, hit the stage, things livened up a bit. I think we saw the real talent in the second half of the show.

1. Clint Jun Gamboa - Superstitious (Stevie Wonder): he has great a great voice, very powerful, but I don't think this song showcased it much; also the glasses have got to go - yuck!
    2. Jovany Barreto - I'll Be (Edwin McCain): snoozeville
    3. Jordan Dorsey - OMG (Usher): that was just horrendous; sad thing is he has a smooth R&B kind of voice but that song was all wrong for him and he admitted it wasn't him! WTF?
    4. Tim Halperin - Come On Over (Rob Thomas): this song did nothing for him although he's another one with a great voice; song selection is everything
    5. Brett Loewenstern - Light My Fire (The Doors): lol, his youth shone through; wasn't his best but was slightly entertaining; I do like his voice
    6. James Durbin - You Got Another Thing Coming (Judas Priest): loved his song choice; he is kinda like an unpolished, untrained gem that could spin out of control at any moment and I kind of like it! Definitely when things started to heat up for the night. And I love that he did a JP song on Idol!
    7. Robbie Rosen - Arms of an Angel (Sarah McLachlan): a.) I HATE this song b.) he was sort of all over the place but I really love his voice which has an amazing ethereal quality
    8. Scotty McCreery - Letters From Home (John Michael Montgomery): this kid is turning me into a country fan! He truly has a gift. Loved it.
    9. Stefano Langone - Just the Way You Are (Bruno Mars): okay although not a fan of the song and he seemed really nervous; I think he can do better
    10. Paul McDonald - Maggie May (Rod Stewart): I love this guy! I love his voice and his attitude; great job
    11. Jacob Lusk - A House is Not a Home (Dionne Warwick): amazing, amazing, amazing; that was perfection and he should be proud; such talent
    12. Casey Abrams - I:put a Spell on You (multiple artists but Nina Simone is my fave): how much do I love this guy? I missed the stand up bass but he just rocks!!!! Love him!!

My five would be (based on last night): James, Scotty, Paul, Jacob, and Casey with the wild card to either Robbie, Brett, or Clint

I hope the girls kick it up a notch because right now I am not looking forward to them at all.

22. Chrissy Nelson

1. Ta-Tynisa Wilson with “Only Girl” - Not a fan

2. Naima Adedapo with “Summertime” There is something about this girls I like

3. Kendra Chantelle Campbelle sings “Impossible” My cable messed up

4. Rachel Zevita is singing “Criminal” my cable messed up

5. Karen Rodriguez – “Hero” My cable messed up

6. Lauren Turner sings “Seven Day Fool My cable messed up

7. Ashthon Jones sings “Love Over Me” It was Ok, She has a nice voice

8. Julie Zorilla sang “Breakaway” I did not thinkshe was very good

9. Haley Reinhart sings ” Fallin” She was OK, I am not a huge fan!!

10. This Megia sings “Out Here On My Own” My favorite of the night!!

11. Lauren Alania Suddeth sings “Turn on the Radio” I hope I never hear this song again. She sang it good.

12. Pia Toscano sings “I’ll Stand by You”- she has a good voice.

I liked the guys better (for what I saw of the girls)

23. Mama_Kim

Girls were pretty good last night. I was entertained for the most part. :D

1. Ta-Tynisa Wilson - Only Girl in the World (Rihanna): way off key; not really great and I don't care if I ever hear her sing another thing
    2. Naima Adedapo - Summertime (Gershwin): I really like her and think she can actually do even better; love her style and her voice
    3. Kendra Chantelle - Impossible (Christina Aguilera): local girl from Loudon, TN; enjoyable and I think she's another that could do more but you only get one shot, people
    4. Rachel Zevita - Criminal (Fiona Apple): WTF?????; painful and just unrecognizable from the original; blech
    5. Karen Rodriguez - Hero (Mariah Carey): although I hate this song I think she is wonderful; loved that she did it partly in Spanish; amazing voice
    6. Lauren Turner - Seven Day Fool (Etta James): loved her and love her style although she is awkward on stage and needs a style makeover (fast!) but she is great
    7. Ashton Jones - Love All Over Me (Monica): she sings great but I am not a fan
    8. Julie Zorilla - Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson): wow, that sucked
    9. Haley Reinhart - Fallin' (Alicia Keys): love her voice but she was also sort of awkward on stage; if I closed my eyes, though, it was really good
    10. Thia Megia - Out Here On My Own (Irene Cara): WOW! she is fantastic and showcased that if you can sing and just flat out do it, it can be so, so amazing; loved her!
    11. Lauren Alaina - Turn on the Radio (Reba McEntire): she's really good but I find her so incredibly annoying as only a 16 year old girl can be; great performance though
    12. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You (The Pretenders): see Thia Megia comments above for the same comments here; she was fabulous

Wow, if I had to pick five I'd pick both Laurens, Thia, Pia, and Karen with my wild card to either Haley, Naima, or Kendra, but it's a tough choice.

24. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I haven't been able to get on for a couple days! :faint:

I have to catch up! My 5 girls:

Thia Megia - WHOA! She was PURE!! WOW!

Naima - she did great too!!

Pia - very well done!

Lauren - she's cute and young and hip

Karen - very well done! Loved the Spanish, too.

BOYS:

PAUL! my #1 this week. Something about him is SO DANG CUTE and original

CASEY! #2 this week (for me) So glad he's still in!

Jacob - he'll do well

Scotty - I'm also not a country fan, but DANG what a voice! :shok:

James - liked the rock aspect of it!

Weird that the judges aren't hearing the PITCH issues like Randy and I are! :unsure:

1 person likes this.
  25. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

For me, my picks for the boys are: Casey (DUH, He's AWESOME!), Scotty (from my home state and only minutes from me! Not a country fan, but I LOVE his voice!), James, Jacob,.... Fifth choice is a bit hard. I liked Robbie, Clint, Paul, Stefano, and Tim so I'd be good with either of those making it, but I loved the first 4 I chose in this list. Jordan is a bit too cocky for me. If he gets through, he needs to stick with the song style he's best at and keep the dancing to the ones that can actually dance. Brett is cute. He's like a little puppy dog. He doesn't have a bad voice and I'd be ok with him going through, but I do think he'll get eaten up. Not a fan of Jovany. I think he can have a good voice, but eh... I can live without him in the finals.

For girls: Thia, Pia, Naima, Kendra, Karen. There are others I'd be ok with, but I didn't like Rachel and Ta-Tynisa's song choices. Ta-Tynisa has never been one of my favorites. I think Rachel has a good voice, but that way she sang that song just sucked big time last night, and I happen to be a fan of that song from Fiona Apple. She butchered it. I give her props for trying to be creative. It could have been good with the way she changed it, but too many bad choices with the arrangement for her. I was disappointed with Julie's voice. She's been really good up until now. I'd still be ok with her going through, however. Haley annoys me. I don't like her voice that much. Too much grinding. Ashton is a good singer. I'd bee good with her going through. Not a huge fan of her song choice. She could have done better. I like Lauren, but I can get tired of her voice easily. Lauren Turner was good, I'd be ok with her going through.

26. twinstuff2

Pia was my favorite last night. I rushed through much of the others so I'm not sure if I can adequately critique them. I do think Thia's song was kind of boring (and I liked the movie Fame when it came out - it was the Glee of its time). I also wonder if she sang without a band because you can't hear her over the band?? They seem awfully loud this year with their new band director. Those two should go through along with both Laurens (or at least Lauren A). I'd be fine with some others making it like Hailey, Karen and Ashthon. Julie Zorrilla was bad, and now she's going to be viewed way worse than Pia who she looks like a bit.

And I'm with the others on Rachel's arrangement of Criminal. It was weird but as Steven Tyler said last night, after Monday and Tuesday come WTF.

27. twinstuff-old

My top five girls are pretty much the same as everyone else's, the rhymers (Pia and Thia), the Lauren's and either Karen or Haley. So does anyone know for sure yet the format tonight? Will the judges pick two or three along with the top 10 vote-getters or is the other rumor my bro mentioned (the 14 who don't make it come back to sing again next week to try to make it to the top three) a possibility?

28. Chrissy Nelson

Who is that wierd announcer guy at the beginning that announces the judges and Ryan.

29. Chrissy Nelson

Pretty predicitible top group. I was surprised that they did not let everyone sing again.

30. twinstuff2

I actually thought there were some surprises. For one thing, they should have let Lauren Turner and Brett sing again (over Naima and Jovany). But I thought the 13th spot should have gone to a guy over a girl, and I actually thought Robbie was one of the best out of those six final singers (even though I would have preferred to see someone else in his spot to begin with).

For the top 10, the biggest surprise was probably Hailey?

31. twinstuff-old

Predictable, but probably the most deserved of the 24 who were left. I can't really fault any who they picked (or say I'm surprised that someone didn't make it) and you have a nice selection of different types and a very wide ethnic mix. I guess they have more girls left (7) than guys (6) so perhaps that's a little surprising as I could them get down to a situation where Lauren is the last girl standing in a final group of four with three other guys. Or maybe that was deliberate as they are hoping they can have a woman win this year as female Idol winners have probably sold more songs than the guys who've won?

32. Chrissy Nelson

I love Robbies voice alot, I think his looks are what is against him. How would you of liked to of been one that they did not even want to see sing again. I was surprised Brett did not even get to sing, but he would not have won anyways.

33. seamusnicholas

I was surprised about Brett. I dont think he would have won but I thought they would keep him just because he is him! Other than that, no big surprises for me.

My Chris update (aside from him getting 70,000 today from Guthy-Renker...donated $35,000 to Juli.... Then Topher Grace and producer Ryan Kavanaugh (Zombieland, The Fighter) donated another $35K!!!) is that Chris Medina and three other Idol contestants this year, Caleb Hawley, Jerome Bell, and Carson Higgins, will be singing at Julis next benefit in April.

34. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised who they had sing again. But at the same time, I was a bit surprised. They spoke so highly of Lauren T and Clint. I would have liked to have seen Julie get another chance, but she was really not able to let go of her last performance mess up. I felt awful for her, but enough's enough. Move on. She'll get to sing somewhere else, I'm sure, because she is very good.

I was a little surprised they chose Naima over Kendra, but I like Naima. She offers a little something different to the stage and she's got a good voice. I was not disappointed with that decision. I am happy they chose Stefano in the group of wild card men. I liked Robbie. I thought he did well as did Jovany, but I just liked Stefano's enthusiasm and energy more. He's got a good voice too.

I had said before that I would get tired of Lauren A's voice, but I could get used to it. I really think they did a good job on picking the top 13.

35. Mama_Kim

What Mark said. :D The only ones I really would like to have seen get a second shot were Robbie and Lauren T. As far as Brett, I am not surprised he did not get a chance to sing. Remember, they are looking for the American Idol. Brett was never going to be it. Sweet kid, though.

The judges had a horribly tough job last night. Wow.