AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 7

Discussion in 'General' started by Chrissy Nelson, Jan 7, 2008.

1. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Uh, WHY are they talking on the radio about a "Ryan Seacrest Replacement?" :eek: I'm shocked!

2. ehm

ehm Banned

I hear Ryan is first in line to take over for Larry King, maybe he can't do both at the same time? Ryan already has alot on his professional plate.

3. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

David A seems really awkward singing tonight.

4. Mothership

Mothership Well-Known Member

David Cook was so HOT tonight...that's all I have to say....

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just saw the recap at the end...and I thought about you Kim!!

6. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Some really weird song choices tonight... Dan Fogelberg... cartoon songs... 50's cabaret ballads... David Cook singing Roberta Flack...

Anyway, I'd love to see Syesha make it to the finals and go up against David Cook, but I think it will be the two David's.

I guess I would have liked to seen some better songs tonight; the best two songs (for me) were If I Ain't Got You and Don't Want to Miss a Thing, and honestly, as much as I like those two songs, neither singer compared to the original artists. I guess in terms of who outperformed the original artists, maybe you could say David Cook modernized Roberta Flack's First Time Ever I Saw His Face and that might have been the best performance of the night?

The producer's choices for the singers was particularly disappointing.

7. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ May 13 2008, 08:39 PM) [snapback]771844[/snapback]
    David A seems really awkward singing tonight.

I agree.

Did anyone else notice how Randy made a face of "ehh" after David A sang but then he said he sounded great. I don't think he was sharing what he really felt. Also I think he liked David C more than he tried to let on.

David A did NOT win the night imo. His songs were boring and when he sang the one that was upbeat he did not do a good job. He has no emotion when he sings.

I know many of us did not like that Syesha got this far but I now have to admit that she has really begun to shine and show a real tallent. She was great tonight

David C was Awesome all 3 songs. He did look quite bummed when they did not like his 2nd song but he lit back up at the end after he sang song #3

I hope it is David C and Syesha for the final 2

8. Chrissy Nelson

I thought Cook was good on the first song. I did not really like the second song and the third song is one of my all time hated song (sorry Kim) but thought he did alright with it.

Syesha, was good in all her songs but not WOW.

David just looked like he wanted to run off stage and hide in a hole. He just did not seem with it. I think he will make it to the top 2.

All in all I was overall dissppointed with all 3 of them tonight. Nobody blew me out of the water.

9. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I wonder if David A was unnerved by his dad being barred from the backstage. If I were 17 and that happened, I think I would feel really uncomfortable.

10. Chrissy Nelson

QUOTE(MamaKimberlee @ May 14 2008, 01:38 AM) [snapback]771934[/snapback]
    I wonder if David A was unnerved by his dad being barred from the backstage. If I were 17 and that happened, I think I would feel really uncomfortable.

Also since his dad probably had not heard the songs being sang before....

So I am having no problem getting through for David COOK... VOTE WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ May 13 2008, 07:42 PM) [snapback]771937[/snapback]
    So I am having no problem getting through for David COOK... VOTE WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny because I'm having the opposite problem. I've hardly gotten through at all! :D

12. Chrissy Nelson

which number r you calling??

which number r you calling??

13. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm dialing 03 and having NO trouble! I haven't all season even hit ONE lousy busy signal. I guess they've stepped up the bandwidth on the lines!!! Because record numbers are voting....

Ok, so I really was actually moved by Cook singing Flack!
    The producers choices were WHACK! (Except COOK!)
    I really think that Randy was gunnin' for Syesha in the finals, but I just don't think he'll get it!!!

Can't type more, must dial!

14. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Cook was good, first song was the best but I still enjoyed his other two.

Archuleta... UGH. He really is not doing it for me. I am so bored with his songs, and is he dead inside or something?!?! No emotion at all! It is so weird and odd to watch him perform. No connection to the audience.

Syesha... opposite of David A... totally connects with audience and songs. Thought her songs were pretty good too.

And I definitely felt that Randy was playing the pawn of the producers or something tonight. There is no WAY he really believes all those things he said about Syesha and Cook. :rolleyes: He is NOT that good of an actor, IMO.

15. twin_trip_mommy

I got a busy signal a few times last night but got through most of the time.

16. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Chrissy Nelson @ May 13 2008, 09:30 PM) [snapback]771926[/snapback]
    I thought Cook was good on the first song. I did not really like the second song and the third song is one of my all time hated song (sorry Kim) but thought he did alright with it.
    Don't worry, I hate it too. Ask any diehard Aerosmith fan and they'll tell you the same thing. (The fans actually voted to have it taken out of ^A^'s setlist before the last tour. :lol: ) David C did a pretty good job with it though, but he ain't no Steven Tyler. I wonder if Simon would have called that one of the best songs ever if Dianne Warren hadn't been sitting in the audience? :laughing: I have to say there are no words for how much I loathe this song.

I loved David C's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (great song!) and thought he really updated it and did his usual thang. B) The Switchfoot song was good, nothing spectacular. IDWTMAT was just an odd choice for him too. Overall he was strongest performance wise tonight but it wasn't *his* best night ever.

Syesha - blech. I cannot stand her. I agree she had her one shining moment with the Sam Cooke song last week.

David A. - another great night for him, imo. And So It Goes was terrific. I didn't care as much for the other two songs but he has got a voice that is just spectacular. A vocal coach needs to work on his breathiness but the tone and timbre of his voice cannot be learned. It's just a natural ability. And he's amazing, especially when you consider he's only 17.

So, I voted for both the Davids and hope it comes down to the two of them! :D (I had no trouble getting through for either of them.)

BTW, loved the "COUGARS 4 COOK" sign in the audience. :wub: And Simon *sigh* was adorable. ;)

17. twin_trip_mommy

QUOTE(MamaKim @ May 14 2008, 07:26 AM) [snapback]772348[/snapback]
    Don't worry, I hate it too. Ask any diehard Aerosmith fan and they'll tell you the same thing. (The fans actually voted to have it taken out of ^A^'s setlist before the last tour. :lol: ) David C did a pretty good job with it though, but he ain't no Steven Tyler. I wonder if Simon would have called that one of the best songs ever if Dianne Warren hadn't been sitting in the audience? :laughing: I have to say there are no words for how much I loathe this song.

I loved David C's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (great song!) and thought he really updated it and did his usual thang. B) The Switchfoot song was good, nothing spectacular. IDWTMAT was just an odd choice for him too. Overall he was strongest performance wise tonight but it wasn't *his* best night ever.

Syesha - blech. I cannot stand her. I agree she had her one shining moment with the Sam Cooke song last week.

David A. - another great night for him, imo. And So It Goes was terrific. I didn't care as much for the other two songs but he has got a voice that is just spectacular. A vocal coach needs to work on his breathiness but the tone and timbre of his voice cannot be learned. It's just a natural ability. And he's amazing, especially when you consider he's only 17.

So, I voted for both the Davids and hope it comes down to the two of them! :D (I had no trouble getting through for either of them.)

BTW, loved the "COUGARS 4 COOK" sign in the audience. :wub: And Simon *sigh* was adorable. ;)

So what is it about the song that so many fans don't like?

Also did you notice the poster someone made in the audience that said "I love Simon, He is my 3rd favorite judge" or sometning like that.

18. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ May 14 2008, 02:49 PM) [snapback]773234[/snapback]
    So what is it about the song that so many fans don't like?
    Three things:
    1. It's not really Aerosmith's style
    2. It was written by Dianne Warren, not Steven, Joe, Tom, Brad and/or Joey (which, if it was a great song, would be fine, lol)
    3. It was way overplayed and people just got sick of it quickly

19. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Hold your breath. (I couldn't type last night because it would cut into my dialing. :) I dialed for about an hour and a half I think. Of course minor pauses in there... :p ) I actually liked Archuleta singing And So It goes and I am DIE HARD BILLY FAN!!! I don't appreciate people doing his stuff often, but I thought he did well.

Kim, you nailed it about the breathiness! Drives me batty!! I think he's talented and his performance ability will grow with age, but he's boring to me - still!

Syesha looked and sounded great, but I'm thinking TONIGHT is the night!

20. Chrissy Nelson

It could be a shocker though David A could get the boot and Syesha could stay in. Wouldn't that be something!!!

21. twin_trip_mommy

so what is this about Davids dad getting banned from backstage?

Diane, I hope you have a re-dial button on your phone

22. twin_trip_mommy

I will not be home for the end of the show but I have to say

ARE YOU SERIOUS! She won last year? That was horrible. She did not even sing. She was yelling and when she did "sing" it seemed like she was doing the background part of the song and the backup singers were singing the main parts.

I did not like her look, her moves or her sound. nasty ick yuk!

23. Chrissy Nelson

I am not sure what the **** was up with Fantasia and it looked like her head was on fire. I did like her the year she was on though. She is good when she is not yelling. When you get a chance youtube her idol performances.

Wow what a long way to go to their performances. I did not realize David Cook originally auditioned with his brother. I wonder how his brother sings.

24. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I loved seeing them in their hometowns. Loved seeing the girls go crazy! They were so emotional--how can you not be!

25. r-twins

QUOTE(MamaKim @ May 14 2008, 05:26 AM) [snapback]772348[/snapback]
    David A. - A vocal coach needs to work on his breathiness but the tone and timbre of his voice cannot be learned. It's just a natural ability. And he's amazing, especially when you consider he's only 17.

:wub: And Simon *sigh* was adorable. ;)

As I live in Utah we get all the local news stories highlighting David A. This story http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/SpringConcert/story?id=4572812 was on a couple months ago. I guess he suffered from vocal chord paralyses when he was a boy. It permanantly changed his voice. That might have something to do with the breathiness.

And ditto, Kim! Simon.... :wub:

26. twin_trip_mommy

That was a long show.

I am sort of glad about the results.

I just got the final results from my daughter. She came in and said "Mama I can tell you who is going to win!" I said "no you can't" She then said "Yes I can it's hoing to be David!" What a brat :rolleyes:

27. Mama_Kim

Yeah for the Davids!! I now plan on focusing all my voting efforts on David C!!!!

28. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ May 14 2008, 09:20 PM) [snapback]773994[/snapback]
    ARE YOU SERIOUS! She won last year? That was horrible. She did not even sing. She was yelling and when she did "sing" it seemed like she was doing the background part of the song and the backup singers were singing the main parts.

Actually, she won Season 3 ... which was a few years ago now ... since we are on Season 7. I couldn't stand her the year she won, and I can stand her even less now ... ugh ... We recorded the show and fast-forwarded through her entire thing ... ick.

I figured it was oging to be the two David's in the finale ... should be interesting ... I'm relaly not sure who is going to be the winner ... I think I like D.C. better, but I have a feeling a lot of those little girls out there voting might be in the D.A. camp. Should be interesting ...

29. OneBoyOneGirl

OneBoyOneGirl Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch the look on Simon's face when Fantasia's was performing? It was too funny. It was same look I am sure I had, something like WTF??? :D Anyway, I really dont want David Cook to win. He is my favorite, but I dont want for the American Idol producers to "own him" and he should get to do what he wants like Daughtry got to do. Plus, now he will have to sing one of those awfully corny songs at finale. :p

30. ehm

ehm Banned

Did anyone catch the look on Simon's face when Fantasia's was performing?
    Yes, I was initially going to quote Erica and say I did similar but at one point my finger slipped and I am glad it did because it was the exact moment when they showed Simon and he was making that face!!

Someone in the office told me that they heard that Idol 'owns' the #2 in addition to the #1. I had never heard this before but if that is the case then I am definitely all for DC!!

31. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

QUOTE(twin_trip_mommy @ May 14 2008, 03:02 PM) [snapback]773678[/snapback]
    so what is this about Davids dad getting banned from backstage?

Diane, I hope you have a re-dial button on your phone

OH yeah - redial all the way!! I will really focus this week!!

QUOTE(ehm @ May 15 2008, 07:16 AM) [snapback]774595[/snapback]
    Yes, I was initially going to quote Erica and say I did similar but at one point my finger slipped and I am glad it did because it was the exact moment when they showed Simon and he was making that face!!

Someone in the office told me that they heard that Idol 'owns' the #2 in addition to the #1. I had never heard this before but if that is the case then I am definitely all for DC!!

DEFINITELY!!!! I'm sure they do!! I think they are all in it to win it, so it's a great honor!

Kim - I will be voting with greater intensity this week. If everyone on THIS board who supports him votes a lot, we can actually impact the results!!! :a_smil09:

32. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

So, I dont even know why they went through all the drama last night... I mean, who really thought Syesha WASNT going home?!

33. r-twins

QUOTE(OneBoyOneGirl @ May 15 2008, 06:47 AM) [snapback]774450[/snapback]
    Did anyone catch the look on Simon's face when Fantasia's was performing? It was too funny. It was same look I am sure I had, something like WTF??? :D Anyway, I really dont want David Cook to win. He is my favorite, but I dont want for the American Idol producers to "own him" and he should get to do what he wants like Daughtry got to do. Plus, now he will have to sing one of those awfully corny songs at finale. :p

I had that same look on my face! It was so funny, I couldn't stop watching, it was so bad. LOL

I think the contestents WANT to win so I'm going to vote (for DC). They wouldn't be there if they didn't want to win. And actually, it really wouldn't matter what record company a performer signs with. Unless you have the money upfront that company "owns" you, pays for everything, and dictates what you do with your music until your sales pay them back. KWIM? That's why big bands will start their own labels so they can call all the shots. I'm sure if you're a big enough act you can call your own shots, but most of them don't.

34. r-twins

PS- hopefully they chose songs that actually FIT the style of the finalists this year instead of those terrible songs from last year! :eek:

35. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Well, I LIKE that Aerosmith song. It's one of my favorites. ;) . I enjoyed all of their first songs on Tuesday. I think the judges always pick the best songs for the contestants. The producers picks are usually lame.

So happy both David's are the final two, as predicted by most of the U.S. :good: Can't wait for next week's show! :yahoo: