American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

How quickly we forget!! Wasn't the last male/female finale Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks?

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Oh you are correct, but were they before Carrie or after? I can't remember the time line!!! :faint:

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Carrie was before all the male/female that were listed in the above posts, right?. I am almost positive because I started watching the finale night of when Carrie won!

I loved their home town visits... especially Lees! :)

Loved Casey holding the little girl...was it his niece maybe?

I love how emotional Lee gets and I love how to true Crystal is to herself. She was all goofy in her home town. I like that she is totally herself.

4. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Last year's final was Kris Allen over Adam Lambert
    year before that was David Cook over David Aucheletta
    year before that was Jordin Sparks over Blake Lewis

year before that was Taylor Hicks over Katharine McPhee (with Elliot Yamin and Chris Daughtry in final four; you also had Kellie Pickler, Mandisa, Paris Bennett and Bucky Covrington that year in a good season)

year before that was Carrie Underwood over Bo Bice
    Fantasia won year four (all female final, but I wasn't watching it back then; that was Jennifer Hudson's year, but she didn't make it to the final four)
    Ruben Studdard beat Clay Aitken in year two and Kelly Clarkson defeated a guy (Justin Guarina) in the first year of Idol.

I still say this is the worst season they've ever had, but my wife seems to like the final two singers

5. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

6. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Interesting night - even though Lee DeWyze's first song was The Boxer, I thought Crystal Bowersox delivered the knockout blow and if this was a heavyweight fight, she would have won by a TKO early.

Lee's 3 songs should have been great - The Boxer, Everybody Hurts (R.E.M.) and then Beautiful Day by U2. Three great songs but I just didn't feel it from him tonight.

Crystal sang Me and Bobby McGhee, Black Velvet and then some song at the end that I didn't know - someone help me out here. But I thought this was Crystal's best night of the season. I think she deserves to win.

7. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

First off I saw Lees spit strings and wanted to vomit!!! I thought that they might be rubberbands in his mouth but nope it was spit. (BLECH).

I liked Crystal too but I think Lee is more commercial and will stick around. He is getting my votes. I have probably only been getting through 60% of the time.

Actually I think the best performance was the guy that sang at the end. I really like his voice.

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I think the judges were hard on Lee. Especially Kara after his U2 song. Crystal did take the night though... she rocked it!!! I am good with either one. They both have a great career ahead of them!

9. Chrissy Nelson

In the end I could care less who wins. What is going to be sad is Simon leaving.

10. Mama_Kim

Really ho-hum for a final two. [​IMG] Lee seemed really, really nervous or something. He was good but could have been (should have been) better. Crystal was very good.

Lee DeWyze -
    The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel): spit strings again on this song - ewwww!! [​IMG] I couldn't even watch!! But he sounded good.
    Everybody Hurts (REM): great song choice for him and overall good. He just didn't wow me.
    Beautiful Day (U2): love this song and think this would make an excellent single for him.

Crystal Bowersox -
    Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin): a quintissential 'Crystal' song and she does it well.
    Black Velvet (Alannah Myles): great song choice for her and she did it justice.
    Up to the Mountain (Patty Griffin): Crystal sang this well but I would not buy it as a single.

It's a total toss up for me. I voted a few times for Lee but I won't care who wins either way. They are both good. And yes, Chrissy, I will so completely cry for Simon. It's the end of AI without him. [​IMG]

I've meant to ask forever if anyone else watched VH1's Adam Lambert Unplugged? Awesome. No one else like him! [​IMG] The excitement level this season has been so low because Adam set the bar so high. Even low key and unplugged he's much more exciting than anyone this season.

11. Chrissy Nelson

I was reading that tonight is going to be alot about Simon so it might overshadow the winner. I think it would be really really neat if they could get every top 10 contestant back.

12. Chrissy Nelson

We are only 1 hour in and I am crazy excited about the guest performers!!!

13. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

Just found out that a twin friend Mom is AT THE SHOW! Cool!

I was bored with the show and did not vote till this last night. I did not even watch regularly.

I am watching the show live tonight and enjoying it.

Just wondering has it been posted yet that Crystal has a fraternal twin brother?

14. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

WHAT THE HECK!

REALLY?

I don't think the winner believes it. I don't believe it. IMO the runner up is such the better artist

EDITED because I don't know how to make a spoiler post

15. Chrissy Nelson

I think the right person won. Totally commercial. Love him.

16. Mama_Kim

YES, REALLY!!! (I can shout too! [​IMG] )

I am very, very happy for the winner (although loved them both!) and thought the winner was either going to pass out or throw up!! [​IMG] I voted for the winner last night. Incidentally the only people I ever voted for this season were the winner and Casey James (that I can remember). I agree with your spoiler Chrissy!! [​IMG] The 2nd place winner is amazing and will have no problems with a career either. Neither will the 3rd place winner for that matter. All very commercial and I would buy a CD from any one of them. :good:

Highlights of the show for me were:
    Christina (she looks like a real woman now!)
    Casey and Bret (who was awesome!)
    Crystal and Alanis (who is an angry white woman and I love her, lol!)
    and
    Janet, who sounded eerily like Michael

All in all, a decent show. But what the hell happened to Michael McDonald? That just made me sad for him. [​IMG]

I loved all the Simon-ness and will miss him dearly. [​IMG] Such a cutie!!

17. Chrissy Nelson

Are you drunk Kim!! How can you forget the best part of the show. Hall & Oates!! They are the best. Also I loved The Bee Gees :) It did remind me to never see Chicago in Concert however. I was concerned that Janets tatas were going to pop out again. Her first song was BORING but the second was good when she actually sang.

How about that dude that went nuts during the Dane Cook thing and they cut to commercial.

And I totally thought there was going to be vomit on the stage at the end.

18. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Is it just me or as they showed the "Simon through the years" I was thinking wow he got better looking with age!! :wub:

I too agree with winner, and have to say out of all the years I have never seen a winner sooooo thrilled with winning, so cute, I actually teared up a bit watching their reaction to winning

I actually love when Lee and Crystal do duets they sound great together.

Loved the "Pants on the Ground" with General Larry and William Hung LOL

19. Mama_Kim

LOL, I did forget H&O who were fantastic and of course the Bee Gees (Barry Gibb - my first love, well one of them, lol)!!

Yeah, I thought vomit too. Brian and I were laughing at the reaction. So cute!

20. Mama_Kim

Oh, he is like a fine wine - better and better with age!! :wub:

I love their duets too and would not be surprised to see them collaborate together on a single some day. :good:

21. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I missed the show tonight. :( I am glad to see who won, though. I could only get through once last night. And it was the only time I voted all season.

22. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

So in the showcase of singers in their 60s (or at least in their upper 50s), I'd have to say Hall and Oates have aged the best then perhaps Alice Cooper then the Bee Gees then poor Michael McDonald last. At least they brought out some younger performers later. The finale was just okay - kind of paralleling the entire season. I liked some of the music done tonight but just remember being totally dazzled by previous Idol finales and not being into this one tonight much at all. And while it was obvious who was going to win, I still think there were several performers in the top 12 (or even 24) who were/are better singers than Lee and pretty much every previous winner has a better voice than he does as well (or at least is a more dynamic performer).

So why wasn't David Cook there in the showcase of former Idol winners?

23. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I saw the 2nd half of the show but missed the 1st half. I thought Bret Michaels performing was one of the highlights - he looked and sounded great, and already looks better than he did on last Sunday's Celebrity Apprentice finale. Janet Jackson looked old but she sounded good.

I just don't think a woman can win Idol anymore with even halfway decent male competition. Was Jordin Sparks there too? I missed seeing her in that Simon tribute.

24. Chrissy Nelson

I read online that David Cook had a charity event to go to last night.

25. Chrissy Nelson

I guess Ricky Miner (rightfully so) is pretty angry that he was not acknowledged last night that it was his last show. He is leaving to take over Kevin Eubanks spot on the Tonight Show.

26. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

He's the artist that sang the goodbye song when someone got voted off every week.

Ok, so for my $$ (thank goodness I didn't have to pay) this years finale stunk compared to last years!!! :faint: I was stoked when Casey started singing and knew that Brett would be coming out!!! :woo: That was amazing to me!

I didn't like the yo-yo back and forth that Crystal and Alanis were doing. I actually got dizzy(er)!

I ffwd'd through a lot! Simon is going to be tough to replace! They better get Oprah or someone ;) KIDDING!

I was underwhelmed and also missed David Cook in the winners piece!

I'm happy for Lee and I think Crystal will be fine!!! She's more street smart and savvy than Lee and he needs the Idol hand holding that he'll get!

Chrissy, I had to physically look away while Lee was singing The Boxer so I wouldn't hurl!

27. Mama_Kim

Nice post-Idol interview with Casey James for anyone who is interested. (The little girl on his lap was his cousin's daughter, btw.)

28. Chrissy Nelson

I read that Crystals man dump her right before the final. Not cool buddy... maybe it was all the presure of putting a ring on that finger.

29. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

She talked about it on Ellen last week. Eh, he's kind of a dumbass, though, right? She's going to be so successful and he'll be sitting back home wishing he was in on it. :)

30. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Crystal tried to make that sound like it was mutual. It didn't affect her performance at all! She killed the night, but I knew the votes would go Lee's way. I think it's actually kinda a smart move to not have a small town tie when you are getting ready to launch a huge career and with a son. She's going to need to focus on him and not a boyfriend.