American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I do not think Skiibowski will stick around long. I saw he has been arrested lots.

http://wbli.com/blogs/morningshow/stuff_you_missed/2010/01/skiibowskis-mug-shots.html

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

He's there for a publicity stunt I guess. They have to know this by now! :rolleyes:

I completely missed the 3rd night this past week! Had no idea it was on. It was competing with too many shows for me to be bored with the auditions again!

3. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I'm hoping we haven't seen our American Idol winner yet as I'm not even close to blown away by any auditions in the shows I've seen thus far (including tonight's sub-par group from L.A.) The son of the gang members was probably the best of the night, IMHO, although I'm still hard-pressed to remember any once they get to Hollywood. It just seems like they are only featuring those singers with tragic stories or who are parents. At least Katy Perry as a guest judge had some personality tonight, which we also haven't seen much of so far this year from other guest judges.

4. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I know, Craig. No one has really stood out in any of these auditions. We'll just have to see how things shape up in Hollywood.

5. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Very boring season thus far. You really have to question Idol's judgment in showing so many bad or just okay auditions. I actually think several of the guest judges have been interesting. I think Katy Perry has been my favorite but even Avril Lavigne wasn't too bad. Shania Twain was okay too. Tonight is Neil Patrick Harris and Joe Jonas and Barney makes a guest appearance (he should be old enough to audition - I'm guessing he's about 16?).

Two things about the guest judges - first, I don't miss Paula, and second, the female judges are pretty much all better than Kara.

6. twinstuff-old

Barney is 23 - still within that audition age range. Wonder if he can do a duet with either Demi Lovato or Selena Gomez, both of whom got their starts on their show.

7. twinstuff2

Well I don't want to spoil it for the west coasters but yet another Barney girl (and this is one who probably got more air time than either Demi or Selena) auditions tonight for Idol. She's very good but completely opposite from her Barney persona.

Good show tonight. Definitely the best of the season so far.

8. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Mark, good to know it's not a waste of time!

I also thought that the son of the gang members was the best so far!

I thought Katy Perry was a major B!tch! Personality? Not so much. I enjoyed Mary J. Blige laughing her butt off!! :lol:

Waiting for the Denver auditions! :D

9. twinstuff-old

I thought it was the best audition show of the season and I now have someone I'm going to root for - little Kim from Barney (Erica Rhodes) who showed a great personality both on tonight's audition episode and who we probably have on several Barney videos buried somewhere upstairs in our video closet. I also liked the dock worker and the 24-year-old who composed his own song about the judges. And a few others tonight also showed some talent. Nice to see them focusing on the good singers for a change...

Here's more on Erica - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2010/01/hollywood-bound-erica-rhodes/1

10. Mama_Kim

Diane, I am so glad you said this! I thought she was a major biatch too and a horrible judge. Mary J? An absolute riot and a good judge!

And how come you were not at the Denver auditions, Miss D??? Hmmmmm?

Loved Todrick (?) - the dude who wrote the Idol song. Clever!

11. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I liked Toddrick too!! Glad they did have more good singers and Neil Patrick Harris is AWESOME!! Loved him as a judge! He's been a long time HUGE fan! Joe Jonas was darling!
    Simon's got one foot out the door already! LOL!!!

I thought the guy who made up the song (Toddrick) showed that he was clever and had personality! :good:

12. Chrissy Nelson

I am not digging this season. Nobody is really grabbing me as stand outs.

I thought Katy Perry was wrong when she disagreed with Kara with the "Lifetime Movie" comment. I think where you have been and what you have gone thorugh can certainly have an impact on what you are singing and how it comes out. Not a fan of the snippy comments.

I have to say Neil Patrick Harris is a hottie!!! Joe Jonas on the other hand was creepy in a way.

13. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

Andrew Garcia

My daughter told me about him before the show aired. He is a friend of her friend in college. We are hoping he does well :)

14. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

LOVE NPH!!!! He was a natural - I think he could have a future on the show!!! Joe, I thought he was so cute!

That's so cool Michele!!! :yahoo:

15. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think it could be because they are not showing everyone that gets the Hollywood ticket. They've really cut short the auditions (which I'm happy about cuz previous years have dragged on and on, imo)

I like Hollywood week. Then I really feel like you get to know who's who and start picking favorites.

16. twinstuff-old

No comments yet on last night's mostly forgettable Denver audition show. And that was probably because it was mostly forgettable. I did like the 16-year-old Tori (who I guess won a Most Talented Kids TV show a few years ago) and then the one who was called a black pop/country singer and who my brother and I thought had a twin sister? (Haley?)

The rest were just okay. Could have done without Bikini Boy or that cocky Colorado football long-snapper.

17. Mama_Kim

The very first guy who had been on the run with his mom as a kid was pretty good too. I still haven't heard the next "Adam." I'm losing hope!

18. Chrissy Nelson

I am not liking theis season at all. Nobody is really grabbing me at all. Last year when I heard Adam I knew he was my man, kinda like when I heard Taylor Hicks ( I know everyone hated him), or Blake, Or Fantasia. I just had my favs from the beginning and this season is not doing it for me. Hopefully Hollywood week will start focusing on the singing instead of the sob story backgrounds. I really do not think alot of the people they have put through can sing very well.

I do have to say I did enjoy that girl with the short hair that was up with Meagan Joy last years haircut.

19. Mama_Kim

Me either, Chrissy. Adam has ruined AI for me since no one can top him. *sigh* I did see some promising talent last night though that I hadn't seen before. So prove me wrong, AI!!!!

20. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

Ok guys, what do you think of Ellen?? I love her on the show! I can honestly say that I don't miss Paula. I hope I can say that about Simon's replacement. Somehow I don't think that will be the case though.

What are your thoughts?

21. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I like her. She brought a lot of humor. It was funny how she had that one group step in all those directions and then said they all made it through

22. twinstuff2

I agree about Ellen but I disagree about the posts saying no one is grabbing you this season. I don't think you can say that after tonight. There were 3 or 4 standouts who were like 'Wow'! I don't even know their names but there were 3 women on guitars who were all very good. One was named Janell I think and sang some song maybe called Hey Sister? Then there was one who sang an Ella Fitzgerald song and then the very last 2 of the night. Those 4 plus the guy from LA who sang the Paula Abdul song were all standouts. I'm not sure if they all have what it takes to win but watch out for Janell and the waitress from Denver who sang the Kara song. Those two could win it all if tonight was any indication.

ETA - these were my favorites..

Andrew Garcia (Straight Up)
    Janell Wheeler (American Boy)
    Lilly Scott (Lullaby of Birdland)
    Didi Benami (Terrified)
    Crystal Bowersox (Natural Woman)

23. twinstuff-old

The one who stood out for me tonight was the second-to-last contestant - the one who sang Kara's song. I think her name is Didi? That was for me the best vocal of the evening. But I agree that several were much better than the rest of the competition tonight. I also liked the different arrangement of Paula Abdul and the last singer from Chicago (the single mom) although I'm not sure if she has the star power. I thought the second-to-last girl might have that potential although I'll need to see more of her. Too bad the Barney girl didn't make it through.

And Ellen added some humor to the show and doesn't make me long for Paula Abdul at all.

24. CCJN

CCJN Well-Known Member

These are exactly who I would have picked for my favorites tonight too. :good: Andrew was by far the best of the Male vocals tonight.

I forgot to add.... I liked Ellen too! I liked her telling that one guy he was like a tiger in a cage like your going to "eat me" was that skiiboski? LOL

25. Mama_Kim

Loved them all too - especially Didi and Crystal. I also loved that big black guy whose wife was in labor. Really good.

Ellen was fantastic!! This is going to be a fun season to watch, I think. Paula who?

26. Chrissy Nelson

I really enjoyed the guy whos wife was in labor, the rocker chick, and the last 2 gals.

The guy who did Paulas song I am gonna call as winning it all.

27. Mama_Kim

BTW, did y'all notice that Didi Benami, the girl who sang Kara's song, was raised in Knoxville, TN? [​IMG]

28. twinstuff-old

How many of the Idol winners in the past have been from the South? Hasn't it been most of them? Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia (?), Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood (I'll call Oklahoma the South), and Kris Allen last year. Right?

29. Chrissy Nelson

I will go ahead and post a spoiler here for all to read

Do not read unless you want to know about a certain person in the top 24.

Did you know Big Mike made it to the Top 24 but got kicked out cause his dad blabbed it to the news and Did anyone else read that Big Mike got through to the top 24 but got kicked out cause his dad went on the news and told everyone. I guess they have to sign a contract (family too) saying they will not discuss it and he did. So he got the boot.

30. twinstuff2

Chrissy I've read about your spoiler but I bet you it doesn't actually happen in the end.

It's so silly really on Idol's part. So what if one of the final 24's name gets through somehow? Once you get down to 24, the results are live afterwards. It's not like we're finding out the winner months in advance - just one of the 24 a few weeks early. If anything it's extra publicity for the show (and maybe for that one contestant although that extra publicity could backfire for the individual too).

31. Chrissy Nelson

You don't think it happens??? It will be interesting to see... Stay tuned.

I thought last nights show was so much drama and filler. I would much prefer to see some more people actually sing. There are a few they showed earlier on that they have not shown since. I really like that blonde guy with the pony tail. He is really a looker isn't he!!!

32. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Chrissy, I had heard about it, but didn't realize just which one it was. Guess we'll see what happens.

33. Chrissy Nelson

Ok well I read on a couple sites it might not of happened.

34. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm looking forward to this week and getting down to brass tax! I have to go look at who that person is that you posted the spoiler about Chrissy. I don't know names yet!

I was packing last week and missed a lot of it. I "like" the guy that's family was in the gangs and moved to get him out of that area - he's been solid. That being said - I don't think that I would like his brand of music once he's done. There's a lot of Idols I liked during the show that didn't do it for me after the fact.

I like the Rocker Mom! She's cool. I didn't like that she was part of so much drama the other night! :rolleyes:

Did the African American girl from CO that sings Country music make it through?

35. twinstuff-old

In our tradition of not revealing results until after the show airs on the west coast, I'll just comment that I liked several of the seven contestants who were told tonight they did make it to the final 24. There were one or two who I didn't think deserved it, but a couple of the early seven have potential to make it fairly far in my opinion. Although I think it's going to be a situation of consistency for some of them.

I didn't realize tonight's show was two hours long - we saw a lot of folks who didn't make it to the final 24 during the first hour and then only two or maybe three who were eliminated during the 2nd hour. They're really dragging this all out as long as they can...