American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I'm happy with a few of the seven too. Three especially. One got through I didn't think should.

2. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

7 will make it through tonight. They'll reveal the other 17 tomorrow. I'm thinking it's the women's year this year, even though 5 of the 7 they show making it tonight are guys. There just seem to be some really strong women this year.

Crystal Bowersox (whose fate will be revealed tomorrow) has both talent and the voice - unfortunately she's in need of a major makeover to make it big in the music scene (sorry to be cruel but that's what happened with Mariah Carey and Shania Twain before they became stars and is just a fact of life in the entertainment industry).

One who has the look already (and maybe the voice too) is Ashley Rodriguez. I think they showed her singing Battlefield tonight by Jordan Sparks?? Her fate also will be revealed tomorrow night. We haven't seen a ton of her this year but I predict if she makes it through, she has a chance to do very well.

3. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I think alot of the people that went through were so predictible. I feel sorry for the ones that they have never shown before at all.

I will let you know who I think will be the winner of the whole thing tomorrow once it airs on the west coast.

4. Mama_Kim

There's one two that I really love and the rest I'm either indifferent or I'll have to wait and see how they 'prove' themselves. Tomorrow we can dish, right?

I am missing Adam right about now. :lol:

5. twinstuff2

There was some controversy last night which Fox completely tried to ignore but a lot of people quickly picked up on. Chris Golightly apparently made it to the final 24 but was cut at the last moment in favor of Tim Urban. Golightly you might recall was the guy with the curly hair who was an orphan who went from foster home to foster home. Some of the blogs say he was cut because he already has a record contract, which is against the rules.

I didn't notice this during the show but here's what I did think about right away. Why didn't they have a final slot where they brought up two people for the final spot? They've always done that in the past. And it makes sense if you think about it because you get to a spot where just one person would be left in a room and he/she would already know if they're in or not otherwise.

So in retrospect it is pretty obvious they tried to edit their way around it. If you review the DVR you'll also notice Golightly was in the first montage they showed of the final 24 but when they went to the last goofy dancing, Urban was now in his place.

I don't think it matters in the end because to me, it will be tough for a guy to win period this year outside of perhaps the LA guy from the barrio (Andrew Garcia). A couple guys have okay voices but I just don't like their personality (Jermaine Sellers and Todrick Hall) and then a couple seem like nicer guys but just don't have the chops (Michael Lyche for instance).

There were a few new women I hadn't seen much who also impressed last night including the one who sang a very nice version of Wonderful World (Lacey Brown I think?). I'd say about 4 or 5 women have very good chances to go far, although now I'm not so sure about Janell Wheeler who I liked a lot after her American Boy. The more I see of her though, the more I realize she's pretty raw and probably closer to Brooke White than Didi Benami who seems much more polished. Katie Stevens is the darkhorse IMO of the younger competitors, Crystal Bowersox might be the best singer, period, but I'm not sure she can win it - yet. The others I'd watch for are Ashley Rodriguez (who isn't getting the airtime of the others for some reason) and Lily Scott (who I think will grow on folks), but perhaps one of the others who hasn't been featured as much also will get in the mix.

And to me the best (saddest) part of last night was seeing Angela Martin not make it. I haven't really thought much of Kara DioGuardi this season but I really applauded the way she told Martin she wasn't going through by sitting right next to her to give her the bad news (Martin was the one whose father was murdered, and has had the other really tough luck/situations through the years).

6. twinstuff2

http://www.joesplaceblog.com/2010/02/i-just-got-off-the-phone-with-chris-golightly-american-idol-9s-first-victim/

More on Golightly - veddy interesting reading.

7. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

I'm not all that excited about the "talent" this season either. It's just not the same without Adam. I think my favorite today is Andrew Garcia..

8. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ellen is having Angela Martin on her show tomorrow. And the other girl (can't think of her name, cute girl that has Bells Palsy) is going to be on Ellen next week.

I am glad Andrew Garcia is on. Not really sure about a lot of them though. And that Crystal Bowersox is good, but doesn't have "the look".

9. Mama_Kim

I know, Lindy. I knew it was going to be hard for me because Adam was just so supertalented. He is my measuring stick now and honestly, so far, no one comes even close. I have to turn off the Adam thing and just watch for this season's talent.

I like Casey James (?). He's got a real Kenny Wayne Shepherd vibe that I love. I am surprised because I didn't really care for him during auditions. I also like Andrew Garcia. And of course, Didi Benami because she is real and talented and grew up in Knoxville! Crystal Bowersox has raw talent and I think she is fabulous but in dire need of a makeover.

10. Chrissy Nelson

That was an interesting read but I wonder if it is true. This is all I found so far. http://perezhilton.com/2010-02-18-top-24-contestant-booted-from-idol Does not say muc.

On the guy side, Casey is HOT!! Seriously that guy is a beauty. I also like the dude with the Morrison vibe, he is at least Unique.

I am going to say Garcia is going to win it all with the chick with dreads coming in second.

I am not fond of many of the girls. But that girl with dreads is amazing!!!

11. Chrissy Nelson

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35464900/ns/entertainment-reality_tv/

Here is another story.

12. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Seriously! They'll work with her, but she's going to need some veneers or some serious dental work. But remember the kid a few years ago that I'm blanking on...he had bad teeth and after he came in top 3 (might have been Daughtry's year) he had major dental work and almost doesn't look the same. He did well even looking a bit rough.

Her dreads freak me out a bit, but that's not a big deal.

13. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Naturally, I'll be rooting for Lilley and Haeley (however she spelled it! :lol: ) as they are locals, but I haven't settled on my "adam" yet. (there really isn't one!)

14. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Yeah- Eliot (?). Didnt AI pay for the his teeth to get fixed after the show. I hold they help that girl before the show. She is one of my favorites!

15. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Thank you Nicole!!! Elliott Yamin!!!!

She needs some dental work for sure. Her dreads don't seem as kempt (is that a word?) as Jason's were!

16. Chrissy Nelson

Did anyone see that the girl that had the daughter with CP that got the boot off the show was on Ellen. Kara is giving her a record contract and writing a song for her.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/19/idol.reject.ellen/index.html?hpt=Sbin

17. Mama_Kim

Speaking of Jason, I saw where he got married not too long ago. He was such a cutie.

18. twinstuff2

Tonight (and the next 2 weeks as well) the finalists will be singing Billboard top 100 songs (which basically can mean just about any song possible lol).

I won't spoil y'all with actual songs quite yet but here is one semi-juicy tidbit about one of the girls performing tonight - Janell Wheeler has been romantically linked to Florida Quarterback Tim Tebow. They are both UF grads (she's a few years older than him). They're definitely friends - whether they were boyfriend and girlfriend is in doubt - but it's probably not an active relationship at this moment.

19. seamusnicholas

I need me another Jason this season! I loved him!

20. Chrissy Nelson

I thought tonight was very lame for the ladies....

I had to show some love for the chick with the silverish blonde hair. Devon and I are calling her Jem because she looks like my old school doll I used to have that was a rockstar. I love her. I am also voting for the chick with short red hair because I think she can do better. Siobhan rocked tonight. I did not know her before tonight, but her version of Wicked Game one of my fav songs made me very happy. Her teeth however did not. I also liked the chick that sang the song about Rogain, so I am showing her love. And Crystal is great!!!

21. twinstuff2

Yeah I agree- the evening was very disappointing. I don't know if it was song choices or nerves or just over-hyped talent. No real standouts at all but I guess my favorites were Lily (who did the first of three straight Beatles songs but the one I don't think I knew?), Michelle (a copy cat version of Falling by Alicia Keys but I'll forgive her for that because it's such a great song), and Didi (I Am by Ingrid Michaelson which sounds a lot to me like the Kara Terrified song she sang last week).

I think Crystal, Sibhoan, Janell, Katelyn and Katie can do better and hopefully they'll all be safe. I'd be fine with any of the others going. Speaking of Sibhoan, I think she has a Mary Poppins tattoo on her shoulder - that's pretty cool.

22. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I thought Michelle or perhaps Crystal were the best but neither was all
    that good. Didi and Lily were among the top third too, but most were just
    okay or even bad. I'd vote Lacey, Haeley and Ashley in the bottom three
    and wouldn't be surprised to see Paige or Siobahn be in trouble either.
    Not sure how Lacey could take a great song like Landslide and make it
    sound so bad.

No energy at all on the show - from the contestants, judges, audience or
    Ryan.

23. Chrissy Nelson

Do you think that was a Mary poppins Tattoo?? I was trying to figure out what that was.

Hailey is the most annoying person ever. I cannot stand her, I do not think she should be in the top 24 at all.

24. seamusnicholas

Here are my favorites!

Lilly - Jem (thanks Chrissy)

Katelyn –strong voice

Lacey

Didi

Siobhan (dark horse girl)

Crystal - Love her but she needs more personality

Katie- big voice

25. Mama_Kim

Overall a dismal show with no real spark. Lots of nice voices, the usual strange song choices for the first week out. I expected more from the women but realize it is only the first week.

I really enjoyed:

Lilly Scott - Fixing a Hole; she is different and refreshing because she stands out as somewehat unique
    Katelyn Epperly - Oh Darling; I really didn't care for her much before last night but her voice is awesome and I think she can do great things
    Siobhan Magnus - Wicked Game; first of all because I LOVE that song, lol, but also because I think she is also different and quirky and interesting (plus I always wanted a daughter to name Siobhan!)
    Crystal Bowersox - Hand in My Pocket; she is definitely the standout of the group right now for me; still waiting on that makeover, lol, but she is a pretty girl with a lot of talent so I think she will do well

I like Didi Benami and thought she did well for the most part but am worried she is going to be stuck in that rut. I want to see how much (or if) she can change it up but she is a hometown Knoxville girl so I am still pulling for her!

If I had to send two home it would be:

Ashley Rodriguez - Happy
    Haeley Vaughn - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Ashley was so forgettable in that performance and Haeley (although she will probably stick around) is so annoying. Ugh.

The rest of the girls were good, nothing stellar, but I can see some potential. Lacey Brown was very disappointing. She took a song I love (Landslide) and completely ruined it. But she has the most beautiful eyes! Wow. I would like to see her one more week to see if this was just a fluke and she really can bring it.

Looking forward to the guys tonight.

26. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I liked Lily and there were a lot of pretty girls. I am very curious to see how tonight goes!

27. seamusnicholas

Hmmm, Not impressed with the guys...at all!

I like Jason, Andrew and Lee.

28. Mama_Kim

I really miss Adam. [​IMG]

Who's Jason?

29. seamusnicholas

LOL! That is really funny! You all know I like Jason but not enough where I have him on my mind all the time! I dont know where that came from! I meant Casey!

Oh and I never in a million years thought I would say this but I like Kara this year! I disliked her so much in the past but I like her this year. I think because she is giving more constructive criticism instead of making very general comments and being unsure of herself. She seems very confident.

30. Mama_Kim

You and I have similar tastes, Nicole. :good:

I have always liked Kara. Never understood why people didn't like her. I think Ellen is fab, and of course, I :wub: Simon!

31. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Fast forwarding through the songs on the DVR (missed it live), I was totally underwhelmed by the guys as well. Even more so than last night when collectively the women weren't impressive either. But wow - very tough to find even one performance tonight that is worth highlighting. I guess Casey and Lee were the best, but the focus on Casey's looks is a little annoying to me. He probably had the best vocal tonight, but he wasn't even given a chance because of the silly play-up of how Kara (and other females) have the hots for him. Can we find out if he really can sing first?

But for most (9 or 10) of the guys I just listened to 15-20 seconds before realizing it was painful and then fast-forwarded to hear the judges agree with me and knock the performance. They better merge these groups soon or it will only be worthwhile to watch the nights where the women are singing.

32. Mama_Kim

I really, really miss Adam. [​IMG]

Another lackluster show. What is with their song choices? It always amazes me how so many of them choose songs which don't showcase what they are there for, their singing voice.

I really like:

Casey James - Heaven; this guy is totally my style, got a Kenny Wayne Shepherd/Jonny Lang vibe going on and I like it; the whole thing with Kara is stupid and I felt bad for him trying to sing when the judges were being so silly; it was embarrassing for him; he's definitely my top pick of the guys though
    Andrew Garcia - Sugar, We're Going Down; wasn't crazy about the song but he still has a lot of potential
    Lee Dewyze - Chasing Cars; I wasn't familiar with him before last night, but I really like his voice; I hate the song he picked and agreed with the judges he needs to do better picking songs to showcase his voice

I wasn't crazy about their performances last night but I want to see Todrick Hall, Aaron Kelly, Joe Muñoz, Michael Lynch, John Park, and Alex Lambert all stick around as I think they can all do better.

If I could send anyone home it would be:

Tyler Grady - American Woman; who let this joker on the show? *blech* He really can't sing if that was any indication; the whole time he was on I kept thinking, Adam would have done such a great job with that song!
    Tim Urban - Apologize; he may be cute but that was painful; so not good

Generally speaking, I think the guys and girls right now are about evenly matched which isn't really a good thing.

Have I mentioned that I miss Adam? [​IMG]

33. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I found Kara's fawning all over Casey to be a little uncomfortable. Let the guy sing. I thought he was good and I also liked Lee, but overall, I don't think anyone (either guys or girls) really stands out so far. I hope alot of it was nerves this week and the singing/song selection improves in the coming weeks or it could be a long season.

34. lleddinger

Wow, I too am SO underwhelmed by this season. I thought the girls were just fair and last night was worse. I too felt uncomfortable with many of the performances and had to switch channels after a few seconds and switched back when the song was over. I thought Casey was "ok" last night but that was just because the rest were even worse. I was very disappointed in Andrew Garcia, I loved him up to this point. I'm hoping he does better next week. Kim, you are so right about Adam. I am so missing those nights when he would sing and I would be tearful, his music had such an impact on me. I don't feel that way about anyone this season. I don't know maybe we're so jaded now no one will ever reach that level. Funny, I saw the one of the commercials with Kris Allen and for the life of me I could NOT remember his name :) How sad is that!

35. lleddinger

I had to add that I REALLY want Tyler Grady to go home. I agree that he is blech!! He's no Jim Morrison that's for sure..