American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I did get around to watching the guys on DVR tonight and while it was pretty bad, it wasn't quite as horrible as I feared. Make no mistake, some of them were really, really bad (Tyler, Tim, John and Alex in particular) but the rest weren't horrible, just not very memorable. And sadly I don't think many of the guys have potential at all - perhaps Lee, Casey and Aaron could improve to the point I look forward to them but they have a ways to go yet to get to that point.

I still find it hard to believe that a guy will win this year. Maybe it's unfair that the guys have been so strong the past few years but after several years of guys from Idol doing well in the post-Idol charts, there isn't anyone with that potential this year. At least some of the women have serious potential (although they didn't necessarily show it on Tuesday night).

2. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did anyone else think that Alison Irihito (sp?) was a train wreck tonight?

3. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

All the right people except my 1 dude went home tonight. I am cool with the chicks that went home and the one guy.

4. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

Only the first elimination show and I'm already disappointed! Most of the guys were horrible, but one of the 5 that I liked, Joe Munoz, went home! Not right! "America, what were you thinking???"

I liked Janell and though she isn't a great singer she was FAR better than Haeley Vaughn's performance.

5. twinstuff2

Both Ashley and Janell had some potential but both were bad Tuesday night. I guess you could say the same about Joe Munoz to a lesser extent but I don't think anyone will miss Tyler Grady (outside of Craig's twins who voted for him because they have a cousin named Tyler and Grady sounds like Brady).

6. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Joe Muñoz did not deserve to go home ahead of Tim Urban and Tim knew it. At least we were not subjected to Tim singing Apologize again. [​IMG]

Tyler Grady -ewwww- totally deserved to go. What a goober! Janell Wheeler and Alexis Rodriguez, while both sweet and nice, were not impressive either so I was okay with them going. Although this means we will be subjected to Haeley Vaughn again. Maybe she'll do better.

Right now (and it's early), I really like Crystal Bowersox, Lilly Scott, Katelyn Epperly, Siobhan Magnus, Casey James, Lee Dewyze, and Andrew Garcia. Hopefully all of them (the remaining 20) will step it up and do much better in the coming week. Please.

Bring back Adam!!:p

7. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

How busy has my life been that I just checked my DVR and I have ALL the episodes recorded and I'd watched NONE!

I just started watching the top 12 men and so far I am not impressed with any. I think I have a few to go though because I am just 25 min in.

8. twin_trip_mommy

ELLEN, I like Ellen as a judge this season. She is nice but she is honest when she thinks they stink.

9. Mama_Kim

Yeah, I love her too, Cheryl.

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Kim, you hit it (almost) all for me!! The kid that DID NOT go home was HORRIBLE. PAINFUL!!! :headbang: (Tim?)

Siobhan is uncomfortable to me. She has a killer voice, but it's weird - doesn't go with her look or something.

Mo, Alison's performance was a bit of a train wreck, but the song was weird and she didn't finish the words.

Kris Allen's Let It Be was well done, but seems and odd choice of words to use when referring to the crisis in Haiti. :unsure:

I wish they would HELP them pick their songs a little - get them going some!

11. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Does any one else think Alex looks like Jackson off Hannah Montana?

12. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Apparently one of the women remaining (Crystal Bowersox?) is very sick so Idol has flip-flopped the schedule for this week to give her an extra day to get better. It was supposed to be the top 10 women tonight but now it's the guys tonight and the women tomorrow.

13. twin_trip_mommy

Simon said he would go to church with one of the contestants! I wonder if that will actually happen.

Now to the actual show. I liked the first three guys. I have no idea how the next few made it this far though. Still a few more to go

14. twinstuff2

I think the guys are doing better than last week but there still is no 'Adam Lambert' breakout performance in the group. Speaking of Adam, I think he's on Leno tonight.

15. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I :wub: Simon... haven't been watching much though. Kara's voice really annoys me. I just can't listen to her anymore. Ellen is pretty funny though. :good:

I wish Kara would take a vaca for a week. :(

16. twin_trip_mommy

I agree about the voice. And not to dump on her but where did she think she was going with that outfit?

17. twin_trip_mommy

If they have it break down to top 5 guys and top 5 ladies I think the top 5 would be

Michael top 5 guy
    John top 5 guy
    Casey top 5 guy
    Alex what was that song interesting song
    Todrick top 5 guy
    Jermaine no way
    Andrew nope
    Aaron confidence was there but not this year
    Tim not this year
    Lee top 5 guy

I don't know that any of the guys will win but a few are cool so maybe. It depends on how the ladies do.

18. twinstuff2

My favorites tonight were Michael (first singer) and Lee (last singer). Those were the best vocals of the night and maybe the only 2 of the 12 who sound like they could be on the radio although Lee probably needs a little more studio help.

Casey would be third in my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of any of the other guys and I really hope two of the three between John, Alex and Tim go home because all three are rather bad for this level of competition. I also don't like Toddric but want to give Jermaine another chance to impress.

At least the guys didn't seem as nervous as last week. I hope the women improve tomorrow because I really do think they are much better as a group than the guys (although none of them might be as good as that 17 year old French Canadian who was at the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics).

19. twin_trip_mommy

Does it seem lie Simon is complementing people more this season? He is not being as harsh as he has in past seasons.

20. twinstuff-old

I'll pretty much agree with my brother and say the best two were Big Mike and Nervous Lee. And I'll gently correct him in that there were only 10 singers tonight although, at times, the show dragged on too long and it probably seemed like more than 10. There were some decent songs (What's Going On?, What's Love Got to Do with It?, My Girl) that were either butchered or done overblown or just not done memorably. But those three singers probably deserve to stay a little longer. Tim Urban, John Park and the Lambert guy need to be in the bottom three and two of those guys need to go home.

21. Chrissy Nelson

I love Andrew Garcia but he has to improve. I also love the mullet guys voice. I thought Tim did alright tonight and I adore John Parks voice.

22. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I thought overall tonight was better than last week. What irritates me is the judges will tell them that they want them to take a song and make it their own and change it up and then when someone does, they tell them to just sing the song or to stay close to the original. Or they'll say "you don't mess with... you just singe it". It's like they don't know what they want.

I have to admit, I was not thrilled at the thought of Ellen on the show, but she's doing a pretty decent job and not making jokes the entire time.

23. Mama_Kim

I [​IMG] Simon too but I am also a Kara fan. I really like her. And I love Ellen. She is great!! Randy is a trip but I like him too. This is probably my favorite panel of judges on the show.

So as not to play favorites, song by song:

Michael Lynche - This is a Man's World (James Brown): great job, Big Mike!! He has found his stride now just needs to keep on with that. [​IMG]
    John Park - Gravity (John Mayer): better than last week but he took a great song and somehow made it very lackluster. I fear he is in danger.
    Casey James - I Don't Want to Be (Gavin DeGraw): vocals were not quite there the whole time but who cares? Dude can play guitar!!! Total KWS and I love it. I am a guitar freak though. [​IMG]
    Alex Lambert - Everybody Knows (John Legend): wow, what an improvement! I really liked him this week and he is so sweet and cute. Charming.
    Todrick Hall - What's Love Got to Do With It (Tina Turner): better than last week on the vocal but I agree he does too much and he was much looser once he started moving around. I agree with Ellen, play to your strengths. (BTW, he looks uncannily like my neighbor boy across the street.)
    Jermaine Sellers - What's Goin' On (Marvin Gaye): such a great song but again he tries too hard. He seems like a nice guy but honestly I hope he's going home.
    Andrew Garcia - You Give Me Something (James Morrison): huge disappointment. Where is the Andrew that we loved? He just has it all wrong.
    Aaron Kelly - My Girl (The Temptations): eh. He's sweet and cute and can sing. I just haven't felt it from him yet.
    Tim Urban - Come On Get Higher (Matt Nathanson): I love this song and thought he did better than last week. Still not very strong vocals, imo.
    Lee Dewyze - Lips of an Angel (Hinder): I hate this song because it was so overplayed, but I loved him! Totally his style. Now if he can just relax, he is going to be a contender. [​IMG]

Overall a huge improvement from last week. Hopefully the girls will follow suit tonight.

My pet peeve of the show though, as always, is conflicting messages from the judges. They tell the contestants to take risks and make a song their own but then when they do, and it doesn't work, they tell them to just sing the song. It must be frsutrating for the contestants at times.

24. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I saw the first 6 and then fell asleep. :(

Big Mike was the man last night! I thought that song was great for him!

Alex Lambert did much better last night. I think he will be safe. He is just such a cute kid.

Casey rocked the guitar, but I didn't like his vocals.

Toddrick and Jermaine: I think that they both have good vocals, but they are trying too hard.

and then :lazy: for me, so I have no critique of the rest of the show. [​IMG]

I completely agree with you here. Both Jermaine and Toddrick were trying to do what they were told to do, then they got all kinds of comments for doing it.

25. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I hope Toddrick pulls it together! I think he's got more than that.

I have to confess, I had my nightly phone call with my husband on the east coast during the 2nd half of the show and didn't bother to hit pause! :lazy: It was a pretty boring show!!!

While I am NOT a fan of his MULLET, I thought that Alex put a great performance on last night and when I focus on his face and not his bad hair, I think he's got something there!

I was talking to Jim while Lee was singing and wanted to hear him, because I like his sound - but he sounded ALL KINDS of pitchy to me!

Michael took it to a new level last night!

I did NOT think Casey was that bad last night and thought it was interesting to hear his "package" as they call it! I'm betting it will endear more people to him! I wish they'd stop with the Kara thing! It's not fair to Casey, he's not going to get a fair shake!

I couldn't stay awake for Adam Lambert on Leno!

I wonder what happened to Crystal!!! I hope she's Ok to keep going!

26. twinstuff-old

For tonight's show it sounds as if Allison is still under the weather and it's a last-minute call if she'll be able to perform or not. Wonder if she doesn't sing if they just eliminate one girl this week and three next week?

27. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I can't remember which one Allison is! I'll have to look! I thought Crystal Bowersox was the one in the hospital? Is there more than one person sick?

28. twinstuff-old

Still working on their names. I meant Crystal. She was hospitalized with some diabetes-related illness. But she began the show tonight on a great note. Lots of great notes - she, unlike most of the male contestants, can really sing. And she has a twin connection as we found out tonight (fraternal twin brother's name is Carl)

29. twinstuff2

Okay I have a real beef with one of the songs from tonight. Michelle sang Arms Wide Open by Creed, which is a beautiful song written by the lead singer when he found out he was having a son. So why does a single, 22-year-old woman sing that song? It just makes zero sense.

Some good songs tonight but so far not many super performances outside of Crystal who begins the show.

30. twin_trip_mommy

I missed the first two singers tonight. I will have to rewind later. So far I'm not impressed with the women tonight.

I went and listened to The Scientist after one of the girls sang and said she did not hear Avril Lavigne sing it. Well I don't like to think someone is lying but I think she had to hear her sing it

31. twinstuff2

Actually Simon said Natasha Bedingfield, not Avril Lavigne. I'm not familiar with the song but I'll have to check it out. It's funny how many of the ladies tonight are singing songs originally sung by men.

Here was the line-up - a review later.

Crystal - CCR song As Long As I Can See The Light
    Haeley - The Climb
    Lacey - Kiss Me (Sixpence None The Richer)
    Didi - Lean On Me
    Katie - Put Your Records On
    Michelle - Arms Wide Open
    Lily - A Change Is Going To Come
    Kaetlyn - The Scientist
    Paige - Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson)
    Siobhan - Think (Aretha Franklin)

32. Chrissy Nelson

Crystal - CCR song As Long As I Can See The Light
    Haeley - The Climb
    Lacey - Kiss Me (Sixpence None The Richer)
    Didi - Lean On Me
    Katie - Put Your Records On
    Michelle - Arms Wide Open
    Lily - A Change Is Going To Come
    Kaetlyn - The Scientist
    Paige - Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson)
    Siobhan - Think (Aretha Franklin

Crystal was Great
    Haeley makes me throw up in my mouth
    Lacey I like her voice and her hair rocks.
    Didi- horrible performance but I still like her voice
    Katie- Not a fan at all.
    Michelle- I had the same problem with the song. It is about having a child but I noticed she did change some of the words. I hate Creed too BTW
    Lily- (or I as call her JEM) is AMAZING
    Katelyn- hated the entire performance
    Paige- I enjoy her.
    Siobhan- She is my favorite!! She is amazing.

So my order for tonight is Crystal, Siobhan and Lilly.

33. twinstuff-old

Tonight's show seemed a lot like last night's men's show to me. It began strong and ended strong and nothing impressed me much in the middle (although I guess the judges said that Lily did well although I just don't like her). It really should be Haeley and Michelle going home although I also really was not impressed with Lacey as well. And I've already forgotten everything about Katelyn and Paige's performances too. And I hope Didi starts stepping it up - she was very average or even below average tonight.

34. twinstuff2

Chrissy, I had the same top 3 as you except I also liked Kaetlyn. I did check out Natasha Bedingfield's version and I liked that one more just because she sped it up a bit near the end - Kaetlyn could have hit a home run if she upped the tempo a bit near the end. But still I thought she did very well. My least favorites were Michelle and Haeley who is over-matched in this competition, similar to some of the guys.

Didi, Katie and Paige didn't have great nights but they all deserve to stay. Didi needs to go back to the guitar and sing something like Colbie Caillat (but maybe not Bubbly since that's done a lot and something like Falling for You).

The other performance I disagreed with the judges over was Lacey - I thought her Kiss Me performance was sweet and I like her Dolly Parton-type twang in her voice. It wasn't amazing but serviceable.

35. Chrissy Nelson

I have been researching Siobhans tattoo. It is not Mary Poppins it is this from a story called Gaslycrumb

http://www.ac-nancy-metz.fr/enseign/anglais/Henry/gashlycrumb.gif