American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I'm just not impressed this season. :nea: Not sure about this one.. Maybe it will get better? :pardon:

2. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Crystal - CCR song As Long As I Can See The Light - She was super!! Should be a finalist!
    Haeley - The Climb - IT wasn't as bad as they said to me, but she's not long for this competition. I think seeing so much of her gums is a bit unnerving.
    Lacey - Kiss Me (Sixpence None The Richer) - I like her!
    Didi - Lean On Me - I thought it was original for sure, but you can't win for losing in this competition!
    Katie - Put Your Records On - over played - did NOTHING to show HER style, but she didn't sound that bad to me!
    Michelle - Arms Wide Open - I think she's got great presence, looks like a star and was in tune - should stay!
    Lily - A Change Is Going To Come - AWESOME. She and Crystal should be in the top 4!!
    Kaetlyn - The Scientist - I didn't see the "cheese factor" she's darling, but forgettable for the most part! :(
    Paige - Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson) - Like her. She's one of the best women!!
    Siobhan - Think (Aretha Franklin) - She's a quirky little thing, but she's really surprising me!

3. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

I really love Crystal and she was my favorite tonight. I also liked Lilly and Siobhan. I'm normally a fan of Katelyn, but not too sure about tonight's performance.

I agree that Haley makes me throw up a little. Everything about her annoys me. I really hope she goes home this week.

4. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Well I noticed the umbrella and thought it was Mary. LOL - more like the anti-Mary Poppins.

I get the feeling Siobhan, Crystal and Lily would love to take some of the seemingly more-innocent contestants (maybe Katie and Didi and about 2/3rds of the mostly forgettable guys) and just drag them to the dark side. Unfortunately it's shaping up to be the worst Idol season ever.

5. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I had the exact same thought, Mark. It made no sense to me at all!

Crystal Bowersox - Long as I Can See the Light (CCR): she totally rocks and how cool is it that she is a twin? I think she is absolutely brilliant!
    Haeley Vaughn - The Climb (Miley Cyrus): sucked. Period. She needs to go home as she is not ready for a competition at this level.
    Lacey Brown - Kiss Me (Sixpence None the Richer): oh boy, I want to like her. She is cute as a button but she just is off. Her vocals have not been strong. But she is beautiful!
    Katie Stevens - Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae) - she has a great voice but I agree with the judges. Somehow she isn't connecting with the songs.
    Didi Benami - Lean On Me (Bill Withers): great song but really pitchy. She needs to stick with that whole 'Duffy' vibe she has going because she is great in that genre.
    Michelle Delamor - Arms Wide Open (Creed): WTF? (See Mark's comments above). Personally I didn't care for it at all. I was surprised the judges liked it as much as they did. I don't get her yet.
    Lilly Scott - A Change is Gonna Come (Sam Cooke): another brilliant artist and performer. She is quirky in a good way and I like her.
    Katelyn Epperly - The Scientist (Coldplay): great song but it was quite sloooowwww. Still I liked seeing her play piano and her voice is incredible.
    Paige Miles - Walk Away (Kelly Clarkson): man, this girl has a powerhouse voice! I think she did well. Not the best but a good showing.
    Siobhan Magnus - Think (Aretha Franklin): WOW - when she hits it, she hits it. She is an odd little thing, as Simon says, but has an incredible voice. I loved it.

Just had to put a shout out there for Bearden Middle School. The pictures of Didi Benami as the school mascot and in her cheering outfit were from Bearden Middle School where all three of my boys attended grades 6 - 8. It was cool to see the school gymnasium on tv!!

If I could send two home from this show, it would be Haeley and Lacey, I think. Two weakest singers overall.

My top five were: Crystal, Lilly, Katelyn, Paige, and Siobhan. I actually think vocally Katelyn and Paige are the strongest out of this group. Performance wise Crystal and Lilly are probably the strongest.

I don't think this season is much different from any other season talent-wise. There are some really good singers and some weaker ones with some potential and a few not so ready. What is missing is the ADAM FACTOR!!!! ;)

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I only saw from Didi on last night.

Didn't love Didi's version of Lean on Me.
    Michelle : eh, not so much

Lily sounded great.

Katelyn: too slow.

Paige: I thought she did well

Siobhan: Rocked her song. She is a "strange little thing" as Simon says ;).

7. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

I think America did fairly well with te results (or at least with three of the four for sure and even the fourth wasn't going to last too much longer). I will say that if one of the four singers sang the song last night like he/she did tonight they would have deserved to stay (I'll edit this post later after the show airs on the west coast with my opinion of who sang well tonight and probably could have someone else picked to leave).

Jermaine did much better tonight with What's Going On? He maybe could have stuck around a little longer. Why is America voting for Tim Urban?

But nobody who deserves to make it to the final 12 got sent home tonight in my opinion.

8. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I was sad tht 1 of the guys went home but he was not going to win anyways.

9. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

I can't stop missing Adam either.... It will never be the same again...

I was impressed with Siobhan though.

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My cable box froze up so I missed seeing which girls got sent home.

11. Mama_Kim

Haeley Vaughn (thank goodness!) and Michelle Delamor

I think the right choices were made. I agree about Jermaine though. He really does have a great voice but I also think his personality is a total turn off for many people, including the judges. Tim Urban is still there because the young girls are voting for him based on the adorable factor.

12. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% on both counts.

13. Mama_Kim

Yeah, honestly Adam has forever ruined American Idol for me. He set the bar way too high and no one else compares. But I'm hopeful. When Siobhan hit that note, I said, "Hmmmmm. . ." Maybe there is hope yet.

14. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I think Ellen was right! Tim needs to be on TV, but not singing!! :faint: Maybe he's on VFTW!? I haven't checked the site yet!

I think that overall no one that could win went home and that's the bottom line!

15. twinstuff-old

Much, much better performances tonight by the women. I thought Crystal had the top performance by any contestant in the live shows this season, man or woman, and sang a perfect song for her style, Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason. I also liked Siobhan's House of the Rising Sun (a little slow but still overall a nice version of the song) and Didi's rendition of the Fleetwood Mac classic Rhiannon. That latter was the type of song I hope she'll sing again later this year but with a full 3-4 minutes instead of the two minutes she sang tonight. Paige is definitely going home with her very boring version of a classic song. Maybe Lacey or Katelyn goes home too?

16. Chrissy Nelson

I agree...

17. twinstuff2

I thought it was a good night - some great songs and a few standout performances. But I think I disagree a bit with Craig.

While Crystal was really good, to me it's still a song that she probably has done a gazillion times. I'd rank her a close 2nd to Didi, whose performance I loved. And I think Didi also has the performance of the season in the Hollywood week with her rendition of Terrified. Siobhan and Lily were also good although Siobhan to me was better. I think Crystal, Didi and Siobhan are the front-runners among the women, and to be honest they might be among the final four overall.

Paige and Lacey may be going home? I hope Kaetlyn and Katie stick around as both have potential and could do better than they did tonight.

But actually I watched Glee afterwards (they repeated the sectional show from last year) and if you want to see an amazing vocal, Lea Michele's version of Don't Rain On My Parade is stunning. She sounds like a young Barbra Streisand. Amber Riley was also great singing the Dreamgirls standard, And I Tell You I'm Not Going.
    Maybe they had the magic of editing, but still those two were drop dead good.

18. Mama_Kim

If I had to send two home from tonight, it would be Katie and Paige. Both have really good, strong voices but chose songs that were not the best to showcase what they can do.

Katie Stevens - Breakaway (Kelly Clarkson): when she opens up her voice, it's really good but somehow she lacks emotion
    Siobhan Magnus - House of the Rising Sun (the Animals): this girl has an amazing voice; she is also really odd which I hope works for her rather than against her
    Lacey Brown - The Story (Brandi Carlile): great song choice for her; she is really adorable and I want her to do well but I don't think she is a really strong contender; good performance for her last night though
    Katelyn Epperly - I Feel the Earth Move (Carole King): this should have been an amazing performance for her but it was very lackluster; this girl has a terrific voice but it did not show at all in this performance; hopefully she'll still make it through to show what she can do
    Didi Benami - Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac): yes, the Didi we love is back! Fabulous performance and good song choice
    Paige Miles - Smile (written by Charlie Chaplin and performed by countless people): such a great song but you have to have a flawless performance to make it sound good and she . . . didn't; MJ did this superbly and one of my favorite versions is by Steven Tyler with Chris Botti; poor Paige didn't stand a chance with it
    Crystal Bowersox - Give Me One Reason (Tracy Chapman): excellent song choice for her, I don't care if she's sang it a million times; she is confident and knows exactly her niche; there is something a little Joplin about her; love her - best by a mile tonight!
    Lilly Scott - I Fall To Pieces (Patsy Cline): good performance although she is getting a bit predictable

My top three were Siobhan, Didi, and Crystal. Overall, they're getting better. I hope it lasts and influences the guys tonight too! Step it up!

Oh, and how hysterical was Ellen on Simon's lap as the show started? She is a riot!! [​IMG]

19. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

I thought Crystal and Siobahn were both really good last night. I thought Didi was pretty good, but didn't love it. I do like Lily but I did NOT like her rendition of "I Fall to Pieces". It's one of my favorite songs though and maybe I only want to hear Patsy singing it.
    As far as who goes home, I think Paige and Katelyn will be leaving.

20. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

I haven't read back through....but does anyone else think that American Idol has "jumped the shark"? The term meaning...the show is beginning..(just beginning) to be a has been? Have ratings gone down??

I think I will always enjoy hearing talented people perform...but the show just seems to have lost something for me. I LOVE Ellen...but I don't think she has added anything new and interesting to the show. I thought she would provide more light-hearted comedy. The judging panel just has a weird vibe to me. No energy or excitement. Kara and Ellen sit about as far apart as possible! Simon just seems bored this year. We all know he is leaving the show but it feels obvious.

The contestants this year are surely also part of it. I just don't find myself a big fan of anyone. Good singers..only a couple that can truly perform and you could see as an artist. On last night's show, liked Didi & Crystal.

21. Chrissy Nelson

I am super bored with this season. I think Simon is right by leaving after this season. Normally I am excited but I find myself not really paying attention anymore.

22. Mama_Kim

For me, it's all Adam's fault. He made last season so spectacular that this season seems like watching paint dry!

23. twinstuff2

Whoa - I expected a train wreck from the guys tonight but I have to hand it to them, they more than held their own tonight. Here was the run down of songs - I'll maybe mention some comments later.

Lee DeWyze - a little more rocked-up version of Fireflies
    Alex Lambert - Trouble which I only know from the commercial where the dog keeps trying to hide his bone
    Tim Urban - Halleluah (trying to re-create some Jason Castro magic)
    Andrew Garcia - Genia In A Bottle (yup that's not a typo)
    Casey James - You'll Think of Me by Keith Urban
    Aaron Kelly - Already There by Lone Star
    Todrick Hall - Somebody to Love by Queen
    Michael Lynche - This Woman's Work (a song I don't know at all but originally by Kate Bush - he was doing the more contemporary Maxwell version). He gets huge praise from the judges.

ETA - just to put in my thoughts. I didn't love Big Mike as much as the judges (he didn't move me to tears) but I guess he was the best? I honestly believe he and Casey have the only chance to finish among the top six overall among the guys. Those two and Lee are generally my favorites among the guys. Tim and Alex weren't bad last night. I'm ready for Andrew, Aaron and Todrick to leave us.

24. twinstuff-old

Were we too early with the jumping the shark references? No Joanie Loves Chachi music choices tonight, just solid songs from beginning to end with some real standout performances. I'll say Andrew Garcia should be going home - his Christina Aguilera song was by far the low-point of the show and just weird. After that it's tough to say who should go home, but I'll predict it's going to be one of the three youngest performers, either Aaron (I agreed more with Kara who thought it didn't work to have a 16-year-old sing a song about a dad calling his kids on the phone) or perhaps Alex or Tim although the latter two were so much better than they've been in the past.

For me, despite some amazing praise for Big Mike at the end, my favorite of the night was Todrick doing Somebody to Love. I love that song and thought he brought something new to it and like Simon said, was the best performer of the night which almost all of these male singers lack. Big Mike is safe (I just don't know or really dig his song), Casey is probably fine and I actually liked his rendition of Keith Urban although it was a bit safe as was mentioned by Randy. Lee was fairly forgettable with his show leadoff of Fireflies although he's probably got enough of a fan base to be safe.

But all in all, the best episode of AI this year and some of the guys really stepped it up tonight.

25. twinstuff2

While I don't know if the show has jumped the sharks, I will say I think the judges have jumped the shark. Randy keeps repeating himself and since he can't say that was a hot one Dawg very many times this year, all he basically says is yo man that didn't do it for me. Ellen ultimately isn't doing it for me. She has a couple of good lines but already seems a little bored. Kara talks too much and is turning into a more coherent version of Paula. And Simon certainly is bored and probably only is there to help promote his new show for next year.

So will it improve once they get to the final 12? It might with a couple of twists. Maybe they could add a Survivor or Bachelor-type twist where on certain weeks, no one goes home, but if a bunch of people stink it up, they send 2 or 3 home. I can't remember for sure when they start only cutting 1 person at a time but I think they need to quickly cut it to 6 or 7 because there still is a lot of dead weight.

Ultimately they need some better, more current mentors. If they go back to a 60's week or motown week and continue to bring in 60-something mentors, the show is in trouble. Lady Gaga has been mentioned by Simon - that would be a good choice. I think I've read Whitney Houston might be a mentor - that would be a trainwreck of an episode (both from the singers and maybe from her?) but it would be worth watching to wait for the crashes. I like the idea of doing a Colby Caillat and her dad as father-daughter group (he produced Fleetwood Mac). But the one thing they could do for sure is bring back some past winners as mentors. Carrie Underwood on country week, maybe David Cook or Daughtry.

26. Chrissy Nelson

Lee, I liked even though I hate that song...
    Alex- I liked too, love that he has not cut the mullet and I think he has a really unique voice
    Tim_ he surprised me it was alright but I hate his hair so much!!
    Andrew- I like him so much I just do not know what he is doing with these songs. The whole part of the song about rubbing him the right was was wierd for me.
    Casey- I did not like it at all
    Aaron- I really do not like this kid at all.
    Todrick- I want to like him but just can't. I agree with Simon it was too broadway.
    Michael- I did not like it as much as the judges. I thought it was alright but I personally thought it was a bit corny.

I think that Kara is looking like a freak. I have to say she is all up on Simon, and then with her crying last night that was just wierd. I agree that Randy only has a couple lines, Ellen just says she wanted to like it but couldn't or something like that. I even think Simon is blah this year.

27. twinstuff2

Next week's show is music from the Rolling Stones (I doubt Mick or Keith will be there to mentor them but I guess we'll see). Oh well - could work well if they show the enthusiasm of Glee (You Can't Always Get What You Want). And yes, Adam Lambert fans, too bad Adam couldn't have taken a stab at Angie or Sympathy For The Devil.

28. Mama_Kim

Wow, the guys totally stepped it up last night! We got a contest a-goin' on finally. [​IMG]

Lee Dewyze - Fireflies (Owl City): I'm with Chrissy. Hate this song! But Lee made it cool and I like him. Not his best but not bad.
    Alex Lambert - Trouble (Ray LaMontagne): Love this song! Loved Alex's version. I thought it was a great song choice for him. Very cool. Even the mullet didn't bother me tonight.
    Tim Urban - Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley version): I actually cringed when they announced what he was singing because this is one of my all-time favorite songs. Not the best I've ever heard it sung but he didn't suck either. Total surprise.
    Andrew Garcia - Genie in a Bottle (Christina Aguilera): my least favorite performance of the night but I still think he is talented.
    Casey James - You'll Think of Me (Keith Urban): hmmm, I liked it, but not outstanding or standout for me. Still I really like him. I'd love for him to rip it up on some Stevie Ray Vaughan (maybe Tightrope or Crossfire) or some Kenny Wayne Shepherd (Blue on Black would be awesome or Deja VooDoo). I think there is more there than we've heard and/or seen.
    Aaron Kelly - I'm Already There (Lonestar): good song choice, strong voice, improving.
    Todrick Hall - Somebody to Love (Queen): well I also cringed when I heard what he was singing but it was kind of cool. I have to give him props and we finally heard his really pretty terrific singing voice
    Michael Lynche - This Woman's Work (Maxwell): BROUGHT DOWN THE HOUSE!! Big Mike!! Man, dude can sing!

I'm scared for the guys because there was no clear "he's going home" performance.

My top three are still Lee, Casey, and Big Mike.

29. gina_leigh

I'm just now getting around to watching both the girls and boys shows from this week. (Late I know, and I didn't get to vote. :( )

I really love Crystal.
    And I thought Didi did really really good too.
    Paige and Katie? Blah. They are two that need to go.

The boys were harder for me though.
    I'm just not a fan of Toddrick. He's a good singer, but I agree with the judges that he's more Broadway than record company. That's not a bad thing, I just thinks that's more him.
    And I'm not a big fan of Andrew's. He's different and he has a certain style, but I'm not feeling it.

I love Big Mike and Lee. They are my two favorite guys. But we had some good performances (finally!) from them last night. Tim was a huge improvement, but I still don't think he has what it takes.

30. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

wow I can't believe the ones that made it and the ones that got sent home. I can understand it a bit because of the song choices but others should have gone first

31. twinstuff2

Yeah I was surprised and a bit disappointed by some of the choices tonight. Ultimately my favorites are still around for the most part but if they don't get rid of some more dead weight the next few weeks, this season will be totally unwatchable.

32. Chrissy Nelson

I cannot believe my girl and guy got voted off. This season is so lame...

33. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

WTF?!?!?! Really annoyed about the last girl that got voted off! She was my top 2 favorite girls. So lame is right!

34. gina_leigh

I thought two other girls should have gone for sure. The last guy really surprised me. The first one I didn't care for that much anyway.
    Both the girls should have stayed for another week at least. (One much more than the other.)

Very disappointed with the outcome.

35. twinstuff-old

I don't know - there is so much deadweight at this point that it doesn't really matter too much which ones made it to the final 12 and which ones got sent home last night. I gues you could make an argument that Katelynn shouldn't have had to leave before Paige or Lilly before Katie (I hope I'm getting their names right), but it's pretty obvious to me that neither of those two girls will be around much longer anyway. Same thing for a couple of the men like Andrew Garcia and Tim Urban.

Normally I'd look forward to trying to gues which Rolling Stones songs certain singers might try but none of these 12 keep me tuning in wondering what they'll do each week.