American Idol Season 9

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Lilly said it best, "I don't know what America wants." :( None of these contestants was going to win it, but none were ready to go home yet either, imo. I felt so badly for Alex. He was broken up!

Interesting little clip of Simon Cowell talking about how he felt Adam should have won and that "You get lucky or unlucky certain years"

2. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Just to recap, the four going home were Toddrick, Alex, Kaetlyn and Lily.

Toddrick's personality must have rubbed some the wrong way - he had some talent but just didn't come across as genuine (plus the internet rumors about him scamming families out of money couldn't have helped). Alex had a nice enough voice but wasn't ready for this type of stage plus he had zero personality out there. I guess Toddrick was a poor man's Adam Lambert and Alex only shared a last name with Adam, talent and poise wise.

I was more disappointed with the two girls going home. Kaetlyn has talent but not the stage presence or experience yet. Give her time and she might be able to do something in the industry. Lily was I guess too quirky for America and they decided that if they were going to root for maybe an anti-establishment type, Crystal is their gal.

Paige, Tim, Aaron and Lacey, you're on the clock.

3. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

I tuned out after the first week of the Top 24. It was so boring.

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Total injustice that Lily was sent home! :( I guess I better not complain as I haven't voted yet, but still!! :rolleyes:

Tim should have gone home and Mullet should have stayed! :gah:

Mark, I think you have a point that Crystal is a more endearing story and if they are going to vote quirky "anti-establishment" Crystal's their girl!

5. twinstuff2

Well it's time again to start picking out songs we'd like to see from the finalists. At least the Stones have a huge collection of songs. Honestly there are only a couple of people I am interested in hearing but at least the songs are good even if they are being butchered at the same time....

Here's some of my predictions (and I don't know the song choices yet)

Crystal - Beast of Burden
    Big Mike - It's Only Rock and Roll (but I like it)
    Siobhan - Sympathy for the Devil (she's Goth so why not)
    Didi - Waiting on a Friend
    Lee - Gimme Shelter
    Casey - Satisfaction (I think Keith Urban sang this at the Al Gore rock festival)
    Paige - Wild Horses
    Tim - Time is on my Side (irony since he was eliminated awhile ago)
    Aaron - Angie
    Katie - You Can't Always Get What You Want
    Lacey - Ruby Tuesday (although this might be better for a guy?)
    Andrew - Jumping Jack Flash

6. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I can see Siobhan singing Wild Horses.

7. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm looking forward to this week because I :wub: the Stones.

8. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

Those would be 12 great songs to hear (even if some would definitely butcher them). Here's the official play-lis of Stones songs the final 12 can select from: I'd also include Emotional Rescue, Get Off My Cloud, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Tumbling Dice, Miss You, Paint it Black or Start Me Up as songs I'd like to hear. I'm guessing someone will do the faster songs like Start Me Up or Brown Sugar.

Angie
    As Tears Go By
    Beast of Burden
    Black Limousine
    Brown Sugar
    Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
    Country Honk
    Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    Emotional Rescue
    Fool to Cry
    Get Off My Cloud
    Gimme Shelter
    Happy
    Hang Fire
    Heart of Stone
    Honky Tonk Women
    Hot Stuff
    It’s All Over Now
    It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)
    Jumpin’ Jack Flash
    Lady Jane
    The Last Time
    Let It Bleed
    Live With Me
    Love In Vain
    Midnight Rambler
    Miss You
    Mother’s Little Helper
    19th Nervous Breakdown
    No Expectations
    Paint It, Black
    Play With Fire
    Ruby Tuesday
    Salt of the Earth
    (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
    Shattered
    She Was Hot
    She’s a Rainbow
    She’s So Cold
    Shine a Light
    Start Me Up
    Street Fighting Man
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Time Is On My Side
    Too Tough
    Tumbling Dice
    Under My Thumb
    Waiting On a Friend
    Wild Horses
    You Can’t Always Get What You Want

9. Mama_Kim

What? No Dead Flowers? :eek:

10. Chrissy Nelson

Under my Thumb is my favorite Stones song.

11. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Me too! I went to their concert in college and it was amazing!!!! My favorite is Paint it Black!

12. moski

Love this song!!! My sister tried to get a florist to send Dead Flowers to my brother on his wedding day. She couldn't get one. :(

They are awesome in concert. I've seen them several times. Once was at Fenway Park, it was sooo good!!

One of my other favorites from them is Faraway Eyes.

13. Mama_Kim

Dead Flowers is such an awesome song. I love Can't You Hear Me Knocking too. Paint It Black, Satisfaction, Happy, Fool to Cry, Sympathy for the Devil, lots of great songs. Could be an interesting night!

14. Chrissy Nelson

I believe tonight is the night everyone will have idol makeovers.

15. twinstuff2

Don't expect Jumpin Jack Flash tonight from anyone. David Cook will sing that tomorrow on the recap show. I suspect he'll blow all the guys away with his version. I still hope we get a wow moment tonight from one of the women. Perhaps Wild Horses might do the trick? Susan Boyle has done alright with that song and it's definitely one of the Stones songs that a woman can do (many are a bit sexist, no?).

BTW, I saw the Stones at their Steel Wheels tour back in 1989 when Mick, believe it or not, was the same age as Craig and I are now. Good concert but not in my top five ever. Perhaps the venue had something to do with that - The Astrodome (not a good site for a concert).

16. Chrissy Nelson

I loved Siobhan!! She was my fav. I htink she is just amazing. Crystal was good tonight as well.

I was not a fan of anyone else though.

17. twinstuff-old

I agree. Siobhan and Crystal (and I'll add Mike) are by far the best three in the competition and they're really the only ones I might be eager to see what they sing. I'm not sure why the judges liked Aaron so much tonight; his performance certainly didn't wow me. I'd have to say that Tim, Lacey, and Katey were the most forgettable tonight and I think it's time that one of those three should depart. Nobody was really horrible tonight though, but although Siobhan was the most memorable, I'm not sure if there were any DVR moments either.

18. twinstuff2

I got 2 songs right on the nose (Aaron and Lacey) and then four others so that's not bad, not great.

Kind of like the show. The second half is MUCH better than the first half. And two of the women (Siobhan and Crystal) as I predicted knock it out of the park.

Siobhan, Crystal, Mike and then I still have hopes for Didi improving enough to be the final four. I think the ones in trouble after tonight are Tim for sure, and then take your pick from Lacey, Andrew, Paige and maybe Aaron, although I think he'll stick around awhile yet.

19. twinstuff2

Just about bed for me but here are my rankings tonight with the songs they sang. If the wrong person gets voted out over the next few weeks I will boycott these long posts in the future.

(1) Siobhan - Paint It Black - a female Adam Lambert (Adama Lambert?). The Edward Gorey tattoo got plenty of airtime as did her scream. As Simon said you'll love it or hate it but I loved it and wish it was a full song instead of a 90 second snippet. It's a dark song so go for the Goth, girl.
    (2) Crystal - You Can't Always Get What You Want. Pretty good but not quite her best. I'm surprised she got the final slot instead of Siobhan.
    (3) Aaron - Angie. Not bad - nothing earth-shattering in there but good vocals on a gorgeous song.
    (4) Lee - Beast of Burden. Not bad but ultimately a safe performance in a Dave Matthews-type style.
    (5) Didi - Play With Fire. Give her points for taking one of their lesser-known songs. Would have better if she hadn't messed up her lines twice (but she rebounded each time). I think she ultimately will start getting more votes to counter the anti-establishment gal front-runners. Idol wants their Taylor Swift wannabe.
    (6) Michael - Miss You. Interesting version - kind of like the Stones meet Michael Jackson on steroids.
    (7) Lacey - Ruby Tuesday. Some might not like it but I thought it was okay except for the 'girl, I'm going to miss you line' which she said way too quickly. Cute girl, cute voice but not long for this show.
    (8) Paige - Honky Tonk Woman. One of her better performances but may not help her much.
    (9) Casey - It's All Over Now. Not bad but pretty forgettable.
    (10) Katie - Wild Horses. I like her less and less each week. Made a gorgeous song boring, unlike say Aaron or Lacey.
    (11) Andrew - Gimme Shelter. A for effort but D for execution. It did present the line of the night among the judges (and there was good competition) when Kara said it was a war song and she didn't feel the connection. Simon then asked her if he should have come out on stage in a tank.
    (12) Tim - Under My Thumb. Reggae version. Horrible. Keith Richards is rolling over in his grave. Oh wait, he's still alive, I think.

20. seamusnicholas

My favorites:

Siobhan- Love her! So creative. The end of that song was simply unbelievable! Or 'bad ***' as my dh said. We watched the end a ton of times afterwards!

Crystal- I liked the arrangement. I just love that song and cant help but dance to it (or bob my head when I am sitting on the couch) when I hear it and I think she did well with it.

I actually liked Lacy a lot. I think she has a beautiful voice. (although I did not like that one line either...too fast)

Didi I kind of liked but I like her overall so I may just be pulling for her.

I am not a Mike fan at all.

21. Mama_Kim

My three favorites last night were:
    Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black
    Aaron Kelly - Angie
    Crystal Bowersox - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Honorable mention go to:
    Michael Lynche - Miss You
    Didi Benami - Playing With Fire
    Casey James - It's All Over Now (although I still want to see him rip it up - I know he can)
    Lee Dewyze - Beast of Burden (which I really loved but have the same comment for him as for Casey)

Katie Stevens has a great voice but I am not a fan. I really want to like Lacey Brown but she just falls flat. Andrew Garcia has lost his charm. Tim Urban - what was that? Paige Miles has a fabulous voice but I'm just not feeling her.

Still no one with Adam's killer instincts but Siobhan comes closest. :good:

"Vote for Mama Sox!" :D

BTW, I did try to vote and could never get through. What was up with that?

22. moski

Absolutely loved Siobhan!!!

23. Chrissy Nelson

I voted for Siobhan and Andrew, I know Andrew has it in him. I cannot stand Arron and Katie.

Did anyone else notice Aarons aunts name is Kelly Kelly, LOL.

24. twinstuff-old

I had noticed that although I guess I thought it was his mom. There are some very interesting parents of some of the contestants. Lots of earrings, tattos and alternate-appearing lifestyles of some of the more offbeat singers. Regardless of whether you liked or disliked Siobhan's performance last night it was nice to at least see one song this year creating some Internet buzz. She and Crystal are probably the only ones of the dozen left who could create that kind of buzz a la Adam Lambert, David Cook or some of the other finalists in years past.

25. Chrissy Nelson

Hey you are talking about me ;)

26. twinstuff-old

I was talking more about the dads but if Allison or Zoe make it on AI one day I'm sure we'll see the blubbering mom there too...

I did have one question about last night's show - what was Ellen talking about when she said Siobhan was like Snookie's Poof?

27. lleddinger

lleddinger Well-Known Member

:good: Totally agree.

28. twinstuff2

God Craig you are so square. You are like Crystal's nerdy twin brother. Snookie is on Jersey Shore and her poof is her hairstyle.

(and no I did not have to google it to find this out - I knew it and I think I'm right - at least that's what I think from a quick google check merely to check the spelling - yeah that's the ticket).

It is funny to see the families. Either semi-hippies or deeply religious - one or the other. A lot of big, big families too (10 Urban kids? that's more of a metropolis than an urban family).

29. Chrissy Nelson

I think the person that left tonight went too soon. But I would hate to see the judges use their save on them. Bummer but they were not going to win anyways.

30. Mama_Kim

Now this is entertainment, listening to the Sanders' brothers banter. [​IMG]

David Cook - still love him, such a sweetheart
    Orianthi - love her too, although not so crazy about the pop sound; she's much too good of a guitar player to waste it on Top 40
    Ke$ha - *yawn* Is it any wonder the music industry is struggling? [​IMG]

As far as the person voted off, it was only a matter of time. I'm sad but not surprised. The other two won't be around much longer either, I don't think.

31. twinstuff-old

I had no problem with the bottom three tonight and the person they sent home. Wonder what next week's theme will be?

32. seamusnicholas

Im bummed about who went home. I really liked her.

33. Katheryn

Katheryn Well-Known Member

I am really bummed about Lacey going home. It really should have been either Tim or Katie in my opinion. Lacey was so unique sounding and marketable. Oh well, perhaps something will come out of the AI experience for her.

I love David Cook! :yahoo: He sounded great. That last perfomer was like a bad Lady Gaga wanna be :shok: .

34. Mama_Kim

Lacey was so pretty (those eyes!) and so sweet but I dunno. I never really heard her sing well. I so wanted to like her but then she'd open her mouth to sing and it was just flat. Paige at least has a powerhouse voice. She doesn't know what to do with it but if she ever figures it out, she'll be amazing. Tim? His family is huge so voting him in every week I'm sure! :lol:

35. moski

I had never heard of Orianthi before, have I been under a rock?

David Cook was great and I fell asleep for the other performer.

I think Lacey going home was only a matter of time. She is very cute and has a great look, but I didn't love her voice most of the time.