American Idol

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. It's only to #9 and I am bored to tears tonight. This "year of their birth" is a terrible theme. They always have a tough time with it. B-o-r-i-n-g.(Which is not to say people sang poorly, because they didn't. Just not very exciting.)

2. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Not a fan of tonight at all. I do not like that they get to do remakes.

I liked Joshua the best. I also liked Phillip and Alese (sp). Holly was good and I like Heejun and Deandreas voice but they were not great.

3. Mama_Kim

It was awful, wasn't it? No one sang poorly but their song choices were just so boring. Joshua was really the only one who shined.

4. Chrissy Nelson

I mean out of so many songs to pick those were the ones. I can't believe that Black Crowes song is that old.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think when picking songs they need to pick ones that everyone knows/likes so they are memorable...I mean for me I liked Phillip and Elise but I really like those songs.
    Joshua did do a really great job!

6. Mama_Kim

Forgot to mention how much I like will.i.am. He always seems like such a really genuinely nice guy.

7. Chrissy Nelson

I loved it when Heejun told him he could write down Fergies number LOL.

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I hate it when they do songs from the year they were born. I liked Joshua and Holly (the last two). Everyone else was just okay.

9. Chrissy Nelson

I think the pick last night was correct. Hopefully they will step it up this week.

1 person likes this.
  10. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I am not an elise fan. I would have liked to see her go. I think she has a sight attitude....or maybe just not a great personality. I would have preferred to see her go.

11. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens next. anyone know the theme?

I was a little surprised Erika was in the bottom three. I was thinking Heejun was cause he didn't do well the night before. I liked Elise. I thought she did well so I wasn't surprised she was safe out of the bottom three. When Shannon sang for her life though, she went way off key at one point and that I believe is what ended it for her. She's not the best singer, but she usually does ok. Either way, Elise is likely not going to win the entire show, but she does ok for now.

I agree, Johsua did the best. He did great. I also liked Phillips and Holly. I thought they did very well.

12. sulik110202

I googled the theme for this week and it is apparently Billy Joel songs.

13. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I really don't like Joshua. He's just screaming.

14. Mama_Kim

If that is screaming, he does it on pitch and with style! :p

1 person likes this.
  15. rrodman

Style is subjective.

16. Mama_Kim

And so is taste. ;)

Steven Tyler has made an entire career out ot screaming on pitch and with style. :D

17. Mama_Kim

Rachael, I do hope you know I'm just messing with you. Right? :D

18. rrodman

Yes. I love Stephen Tyler. Joshua is no ST. He's not screaming rock songs. He's screaming songs that should be sung.

19. Mama_Kim

OK - whew. When I read what I had typed I thought it sounded harsh and I meant it to be funny. Everyone is entitled to their opinion (even if they are wrong! :p ). :lol:

20. rrodman

Yes, you are very mean.

1 person likes this.
  21. Chrissy Nelson

Ohh Heejun what did you do tonight!!

I love Phillip Phillips but he makes me so tense when he sings. How great was Erikas makeover!! I really enjoyed Colton tonight maybe my fav. Of the girls I like Elise and Erika. I just cannor jump on the Jessica bandwagon, not sure what it is.

1 person likes this.
  22. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I want a Colton and Phillip finale! My favs without a doubt!

I looked at vote for the worst site and of course Heejun is their choice. They said he has been trolling all along and tonight was his night that he took it to the stage. Steven was not happy! He deserves to go home.

23. Mama_Kim

Steven gave Heejun the smack down. He deserved it. That was just stupid.

I loved Elise, Phillip, and Colton (surprising) tonight. Jessica and Hollie both have stellar voices but are not in my favorite genres. Overall with the exception of Heejun I thought everyone did pretty well though.

24. Chrissy Nelson

Heejun has a good voice but I do not think he is taking it serious at all. I wish I could be comfortable when Phillip sings but I swear even thinking about it I tense up.

Did you love Erikas makeover??

25. Mama_Kim

Yes, I thought Erika's makeover rocked. It gave her a whole new attitude on stage too.

26. sulik110202

I thought Erica looked great. The short hair looked great on her.

Colton was my favorite last night. I liked Erica as well. Time for Heejun to go home.

27. Chrissy Nelson

I bet Deandre goes home. For some reason America does not seem to like Elise or Erika, but I hope they stick around.

28. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Agree, agree, agree. You wrote exactly what I was thinking! And although I like Jessica and she seems a sweet girl, to me she's cookie cutter and, although quite a voice, I just cannot pick her over someone like Phillip who cares about his music. Loved how he totally went against everything they were pushing at him! My kind of guy!! I think I may be in love :wub:

1 person likes this.
  29. Chrissy Nelson

I hope Heejun takes Idol more seriously. He truely seemed during auditions to be moved by the whole process but now is just a smartass. I am sad who went home because I feel she had a fantastic voice, but for some reason the voters were not a fan. I understand why they did not save her.

30. Mama_Kim

I am not too disappointed with who went home. She was never going to make the final three anyway. I did like her though. Heejun really should have gone instead as he just does not give the impression he takes the competition that seriously.

31. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's that Heejun doesn't take the competition seriously, but he just doesn't quite know how to fit in. He doesn't have the best voice. it's the weakest of all the voices in the competition which is why I think he should have gone home, but he was told to be himself and I think that is what he was trying to do. I remember during the auditions, they showed him with the kids he worked with and he was colorful and energetic. He was being quiet and not very confident once he got to be in the top 24. He's funny by nature, but it's also something he hides behind. I think what he showed last night was more of who he is and who he wants to be. I didn't see a problem with it, but it was a HUGE difference from before and that took Steven by surprise. He was not ready for the Heejun that came out of his hiding place. Still, Heejun is not going to win this competition with that voice. I think Erika should have stayed.

32. Mama_Kim

Is there a theme tonight?

33. Chrissy Nelson

Great show tonight!! I LOVE STEVIE NICKS!!!

There is just something I love about Deandreas voice that I LOVE. If he sang Purple Rain I would melt. Joshua is a fantastic singer as well. Elise was AHMAZING. Phillip is a true artist.

I cannot say who I think will go home but I do think Holly may be in trouble.

34. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

Good episode last night - first one this season I thought the Idol finalists out-performed the finalists on The Voice. I'm not sure they deserved five standing ovations, but there were some solid performances. I like Colton and Phil among the guys (both are probably better musicians than singers but both are fine and will have nice careers after this show is over), and Jessica and now Elise among the women (she rocked Zeppelin last night - I thought it compared favorably to Adam Lambert's version).

Hollie won't go home this week but she's not growing much. I'm hoping Heejun, DeAndre or Skylar goes home.

35. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I've never been an Idol fan but my friends had me YouTube Phil last night (as an aside, my father-in-law is Phil Phillips- who knew that there were so many parents who couldn't think of a unique name to pair with Phillips?) and oh my, I love him. I am a HUGE Dave Matthews fan (don't stone me!) and he is like a little Dave Jr. Mm. Yummy.

1 person likes this.