American Idol

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Jan 19, 2012.

1. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Elise rocked it last night. And I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan, but she was amazing. I thought Deandre sounded great on his song, too.

2. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Haven't read any other comments yet, but what a phenomenal show!!!! The reason it was so good was they were all singing what they love and what they do best. Best theme for them yet.They should let them do this every week.

How much do I love a. Steven :wub: and b. Stevie Nicks :wub: ? (who are both the same age - Stevie will be 64 in May, Steven just turned 64 on Monday) Cute to see her back with Jimmy Iovine after all these years. I always thought they were an odd but sort of cute couple.

1. Colton Dixon - Lifehouse "Everything" : truly who Colton is as an artist, very open and real; liked it a lot He does have "star quality."

2. Skylar Laine - Miranda Lambert "Gunpowder & Lead" : considering I hate country she was my least favorite but she does do country well and has lots of energy which I like

3. Heejun Han - Donny Hathaway "A Song For You" : this is what he does best!; really liked it, open and honest; I think the humor covers up a lack of real confidence in himself; nice to hear him just sing from the heart

4. Hollie Cavanagh - Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel" : this girl has a huge voice; she looked beautiful tonight too; not really my genre of artist but I love her for some reason

5. DeAndre Brackensick - Eric Benet "Sometimes I Cry" : I absolutely love his voice; my only criticism is he lacks some emotion, I think mainly because he is only 17; in ten years, he is going to be absolutely outstanding as he connects more with the passionate lyrics; not sure the Idol audience really gets him because they are looking for someone different (more pop oriented) but he is phenomenal; wish I had been home to vote but was rocking out at the amazing Tedeschi Trucks Band concert last night!

6. Jessica Sanchez - Beyoncé "What Kind of Dream is This" : she has a beautiful voice, beautiful interpretation, and always looks stunning but she is so not my thing that she bores me

7. Phillip Phillips - Jonny Lang "Still Rainin'" : I adore Jonny Lang (just saw him in Experience Hendrix and he is amazingly talented) and I loved Phillip's version of this song; suited him to a "T"; he is such a born artist

8. Joshua Ledet - Mariah Carey "Without You" : I have always loved this song since the days of Harry Nilsson and Joshua did not disappoint; kid can flat out sing and really belts it out with emotion; love him

9. Elise Testone - Led Zeppelin "Whole Lotta Love" : Oh man, this was crazy good!; she looked amazing too, loved her outfit (although she generally wears the worst shoes ever); this was truly excellent! I hope Robert was watching!!

My favorites of the night were Elise, Phillip, DeAndre, and either Heejun or Colton but no one sucked. They all were pretty awesome. Tough competition! No matter who goes home, it will be a loss.

I did not get to watch the trios yet because I watched while getting ready for work but they looked like they were good too. May look them up if I am bored at work today!

3. Mama_Kim

That's it, Mo. Our friendship is over. :p

4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I think he does not know how good he is and does use the humour.

. Colton Dixon - Lifehouse "Everything" : I think he has the best "radio" voice, this song tonight was not my thing at all. I actually found the song dragging on

2. Skylar Laine - Miranda Lambert "Gunpowder & Lead" : This girl is a pistol!!! She makes me giggle the way she jumps around on stage.

3. Heejun Han - Donny Hathaway "A Song For You" : I love the rasp in his voice

4. Hollie Cavanagh - Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel" : I would really like to hear her sing Celine Dion, she seems at least to me, to have a similar accent to Celine. She even holds her microphone like Celine.

5. DeAndre Brackensick - Eric Benet "Sometimes I Cry" : Devon hates DeAndrea but I LOVE HIM. Such a sexy voice and honestly the range and pitch that he has is amazing!! I think he is the one person that is just uncomfortable on stage. I think he also somewhat lacks confidence. He never looks at the camera.

6. Jessica Sanchez - Beyoncé "What Kind of Dream is This" : I agree with Kim, great voice but not my thing.

7. Phillip Phillips - Jonny Lang "Still Rainin'" : Phillip just amazes me (he looked so uncomfortable in the group sing without his guitar). Out of everyone I feel he is the true artist. I loved Stevie telling him they would have had him in Fleetwood Mac back in the day.

8. Joshua Ledet - Muited him to a "T"; he is such a born artistariah Carey "Without You" : He is great too. Not sure if I could listen to him everyday but I do hope he sticks around

9. Elise Testone - Led Zeppelin "Whole Lotta Love" : This was probably one of my favorite performances ever on idol, especially after ballads!!

I have no clue who will be in the bottom, this is a great group of ppl.

5. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I don't know what everyone is seeing/hearing in Colton. He is missing something for me. DeAndre just seems to be missing something also. I did not like Elise until about 2 weeks ago when it seems she finally put herself into the singing. She was great this week but my from the start and still now favorite is Phillip. He has from the start had IT. He puts his heart and soul into every word. Even if he does not win he will do great. He is a real artist and AI has shown that to the world. He will not need a win to become what he has shown himself to be, a true artist.

The other performers are good but the only way they will make any records is through the fame of AI.

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:cry:

Hey, as long as I don't diss Steven we should be fine (and you can't diss Mick ).

7. Mama_Kim

I don't know. I guess I could make an exception but Robert Plant IS the Golden God. Always will be. However, if you dissed Steven (or his twin brother from another mother, Mick), we'd have serious problems. I love you too much to turn my back on you over LZ. But it's close! ;)

8. Mama_Kim

I prefer to see his Eddie Vedder side. :p But whatever gets you through the day! :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Chrissy Nelson

So I am happy w who went home. I honestly hope the judges do not use their save on anyone since 2 ppl go home that next week. I think in the final it is cgoing to come down to Colton and Phillip, with Colton winning the whole thing.

10. twin_trip_mommy

I would be okay with it ending this way. I kind of expect it and feel the better singer will do better to go out in second or rather not first place.

Really I can't see what everyone is seeing in Colton. Maybe it's because he (to me) is lacking emotion or personality. He smiles enough but seems stiff and to shy at times

11. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Finally catching up in here!!

I'm glad HeeJun went! If they didn't save Erica they sure as hell weren't saving HJ!!

80's theme this week should be interesting! Chrissy, you might get some Prince out of Deeandre yet.

I can't stand Deandre for some reason, but I think it's the hair flipping....

I am curious to see the song list for this week!

I think that Phil Phillips is a real artist... and look what happened to Casey!! If you like him, vote!

12. Chrissy Nelson

I do love me some 80's music!!!!

I hope Phillip does not win so he does not have to do that stupid AI music. He will get a record deal regardless.

13. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I don't know what the theme for this week is, but I really like Phillip. He's my favorite so far. I like Colton, but there's somethign about his voice I'm just not sure I like THAT much, but he's likely going to stay in the game for a while. I don't like DeAndre. I just don't. The girls are doing ok. Elise did great! I like that song and she had the right voice for it. I'm getting bored of Hollie. She does have a good voice, but unless she really spices things up, I don't think she's going to last much longer. Jessica is still going to be in the race for a while. She is doing very well. Skylar is fun to watch. I like her presence on the stage, but VERY country, and I'm not into country that much. But for a country singer, I like her. Joshua is good. I don't know if he's the best, but I think he's still very good. I like Phillip more.

Well, we'll find out tonight what the theme is. I don't know when I'll be able to watch it, but if the storms don't interfere, it should be good.

14. Chrissy Nelson

Out of all the 80's songs they picked these!!!

Loved Colton, Joshua and surprisingly Skylar. I also like Phillip but he seriously looks like a drug addict needing a hit while he is singing.

15. Mama_Kim

I had a sense of foreboding about the 80's theme because while there is some fun 80's music, there was a lot of really bad stuff too. Really bad. However, this group is so talented that they managed to make it through without too many issues.

First, I adore Gwen Stefani. I thought she and Tony Kanal gave the contestants some great advice.

1. DeAndre Brackensick - "I Like It" (DeBarge): I love this kid; he had more confidence this week but you can still see he is nervous and a bit unsure; he really needs some time to develop that confidence and style but that voice is ah-mazing! I love that we heard more of his natural voice along with the falsetto. This was the right sort of song for him. Loved it.

2. Elise Testone - "I Want to Know What Love Is" (Foreigner): totally wrong song for her; off pitch, just not good; I was bored and let me reiterate she wears the ugliest shoes - they look like a few chunks of wood on her feet! That being said it's a shame she did not do well because I love her. The Tom Petty duet with Phillip was awesome.

3. Phillip Phillips - "That's All" (Genesis): awesome, I love that he knows exactly who he is although I sometimes find him painful to watch; loved his bro with him on stage - so sweet

4. Joshua Ledet - "If You Don't Know Me By Now" (SImply Red): powerhouse is right! I'd love to hear him do some Sam Cooke. He can flat out sing and has such power and volume. Wow!

5. Jessica Sanchez - "How Will I Know" (Whitney Houston): such a big voice for such a little girl but I personally thought it was a predictable choice for her; however, she sang the snot out of that song; still she is not my thing

6. Hollie Cavanagh - "What a Feeling" (Irene Cara): not her song, she was pitchy and unsure which is a shame because another girl with a big, big voice; it just was not good but I loved her dress

7. Colton Dixon - "Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper): I like it, thought it was fun, and he is adorable; very commercial right now

8. Skylar Laine - "Wind Beneath My Wings" (Bette Midler): good song choice for her to show her softer side; is there any doubt that this girl is a Republican? :lol: Wish she'd toted a gun on stage with her ;)

For me the guys had it tonight. I liked DeAndre, Phillip, Joshua, and Colton the best. I think Hollie is in danger and I'm afraid DeAndre may be also. Round out the bottom three with Elise.

The duets were all great! I really loved them all.

16. Chrissy Nelson

I thought the duet with Joshua and Jessica was amazing. Also really loved Phillip and Elise.

The bottom 3 are going to be Holly, Elise and Deandre. I think Holly will go home.

17. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I loved the duets. For the first time, I am considering downloading them from i-tunes.

Favorites last night were Colton, Phillip and Joshua. Phillip is growing on me, but I don't like watching him sing. He looks constipated when he signs. I hope Elise doesn't go home. I didn't like her performance, but she is still a very talented and has a unique voice.

18. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two favorites are Elise and Phillip, I doubt either will make it to the final but that's okay...they're really too good to be 'American Idols' anyway.
    I think Hollie will be sent home, but who knows at this point.
    The duets were so good!! all of them! They paired them up really well.

1 person likes this.
  19. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Hehehehe...you made me giggle!! It's so true though!!

I love Phillip, but I just did not enjoy watching him tonight. His duet, although great, the whole time he seemed terribly uncomfortable in that jacket. He just seems lost without his guitar. It's like my Allison with her "beautiful blanket". I did enjoy Skylar probably the most. Her rendition of that song just about brought tears.

I did not enjoy Jessica's solo as much as I liked her and Joshua's duet, which I thought they nailed. I loved Elise...her voice rocks!

Loved seeing Gwen Stefani...who is a fav of mine.

20. twin_trip_mommy

I am not happy that any of them have to leave it has to be heartbreaking but it was time for DeAndre to leave.

Have to add that Kelly Pickler had to forget she was going to be on the show. Her hair was flat and she needed a touch up and she had no make up on.

21. Chrissy Nelson

I did not watch the whole show. I am not a fan of the save... I think it is mean to make them sing only to know you were never going to save them. I think this whole crop of people are talented in their own way and anyone leaving is a loss.

22. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I loved Coltons performance of Time after Time. I listened to it over and over again.

23. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bet Elise had to feel like a big fat loser when the judges said America got the bottom two half right (knowing they were not talking about DeAndre) and then she ended up not being sent home.
    I didnt think they'd 'save' him though...they've got to decide it the save if for someone that could win the whole thing and DeAndre just wasnt that person.
    I honestly thought Hollie would go home.

24. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I was actually surprised that Hollie didn't go home. She hasn't been doing that great. She looked awkward and nervous singing with DeAndre and the judges didn't give her great reviews and haven't for a couple of weeks now. I think she hit her peak.

I really liked Phillip's version of that Phil Collin's song (why am I blocking on the name?). That was cool he was allowed to bring his brother on stage with him. I also like Colton's song, Time After Time. Those two were my favorites. I liked that Hollie tried to open up more by moving around the place. She looked like she was enjoying herself at least. I wish Elise had stayed with Hallelujah instead, because I believe that would have been the better song, but I thought she did ok anyhow. I also liked Skylar's Wind Beneath My Wings. She did a great job with that! Probably Skylar's performance ranks up there with Phillip Phillips and Colton. Jessica did well with the Whitney Houston song, though I like her singing the bigger songs. I thought Josh did a good job too. I have my favorites, but this year to me has proven to be a good one.

25. twin_trip_mommy

so disappointed in tonights show so far. The audience was excited the judges seemed to like the performances but it have not.

The songs so far are boring to me. The show seemed to start out with a depressed tone also. I think Phillip is next so maybe my thoughts will change

26. Chrissy Nelson

I have to say here are my thoughts.

Skylar- I have to give it to her, she does her thing. I hate country but I have to give it to her she is a good performer and sings her little country heart out.

Colton- I think his voice is very commercial but his song tonight was crazy boring.

Jessica- I am just not a fan of hers. Not sure what it is but I just cannot get myself to like her.

Joshua- He is the man. Best performance of the night. WOW!!!

Phillip- Not his best performance at all. But I still ejoy him alot.

Holly- OK I thought this was a good performance but then the judges hopped in and I guess it wasn't. I also did not know she was English.

Elise- OMG first off her duet shoes were horrid!!! Her outfit in the end was really bad too. it made her look super big. Her song was OK for me, a total copy version of the original.

I do not have my favorite to win, but I think Joshua is just the best overall performer out of them all.

27. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I actually loved tonight's show and thought most of the performances were amazing. What did it for me was that I only knew a few of the songs and those were probably the weaker performances. But man Jessica was amazing on that Stuttering song, and I also loved Colton on the Skylar Gray song (who I know a bit of but not much about) and Joshua was surprisingly entertaining on a very tough Bruno Mars song.

Here's how I would rank them.

(1) Jessica (she'll make that song a hit); (2) Joshua (not as good as Bruno Mars but very, very good); (3) Colton (he'll win the season but he's not my favorite); (4) Skylar (she's better than Lauren Alaina from last year I think); (5) Elise (not bad but Haley did the same song last year better IMO); (6) Phillip (tired of him but I did like his duet with Elise); and (7) Hollie (I want to like her because she's cute and she has a great voice but she's so old in her singing style for someone so young - there was the wrong emotion in that song which is an amazingly powerful song). But even she was better than she's been.

And the talent in Idol is better than the Voice. But the Voice's judges are way, way better.

28. Mama_Kim

I loved tonight's show. Once again they sang songs which showcase their style which always proves to be a winner for me. Nice to hear them singing current music too.

1. Skylar Laine - "Didn't You Know How Much I Loved You" (Kellie Pickler): totally in her wheelhouse and she sang it well; not a country fan though so I wouldn't mind seeing her go home but she has spunk which I love; how cute was Steven, "Crows may crow but hens deliver the goods!" [​IMG]

2. Colton Dixon - "Love the Way You Lie" (Skylar Grey): I thought this was beautiful, and I love him at the piano with a more tender voice; very artistic performance

3. Jessica Sanchez - "Stuttering" (Jazmine Sullivan): this was fabulous and she is almost always perfect (maybe too perfect?); a phenomenal performance but she really is not my thing; and she is such a 16 year old diva!

4. Joshua Ledet - "Runaway Baby" (Bruno Mars): great song choice!; this was just fun and adorable and so nice to see him pep it up a bit; totally loved it!

5. Hollie Cavanagh - "Perfect" (Pink): aww, Hollie, I so wanted this to be great for her but she sang it too precisely and clean; Pink always brings a little raunch and while Hollie's notes were good, the interpretation was poor

6. Phillip Phillips - "Give a Little More" (Maroon 5 [​IMG] ): thank God he made a bad song sound better; I just adore him, think he is FAB; ah-mazing and loved the Steve McQueen/Johnny Cash reference as that really is him

7. Elise Testone - "You and I" (Lady Gaga): great song choice for her (but awful dress, lol); love this girl's voice so much and she was awesome on this song

Elise/Phillip - "Somebody That I Used to Know" (Gotye); great song although not really Phillip's style and I love them together
    Skylar/Colton - "Don't You Wanna Stay" (Jason Aldean/Kelli Clarkson): they duet well together but this bored me probably because I am not a fan of the song
    Hollie/Jessica/Joshua - What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger" (Kelli Clarkson): enjoyable

My favorites were Colton, Joshua!, Phillip, and Elise. Hollie was my least favorite and I believe she is in the most danger of going home.

29. Chrissy Nelson

I think Hollie is going home.

I think the final 2 are going to be Colton and Phillip, but Jessica might slide in there. I honestly would like to see Joshua win the whole thing though.

1 person likes this.
  30. Mama_Kim

I did really miss DeAndre this week. He was so talented and so refreshingly different than what's out there right now. Did anyone else see him on Leno last week? He sang at the breaks and did really well. He told Leno he knew his style was not so popular right now in pop music and he was hoping to bring it back again. I hope he gets a little more "polish" on the road with the AI show and then gets a record deal. He has a phenomenal voice and range.

31. Chrissy Nelson

I did too. I really enjoyed him!!

32. twin_trip_mommy

Not sure how I feel about the "save" She is really good but America voted.

Does this mean that TWO will go home next week? They are good singers also. They are all good singers. They all can't win though

33. Mama_Kim

Yes, it usually means two go home the next week.

34. Chrissy Nelson

I cannot believe the final 3. Kinda nuts.

35. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I do agree with the save. Even though she is kind of cookie cutter, IMO, she has a phenomenal voice and has been consistent week after week. Even though not the style of music I like, Jessica will be an American Idol and that is what the show is all about. She will make it in the industry, she has the look, the personality, the voice, she is amazing. She will definitely make it over Holly, who should have went home, IMO. Holly has been up and down, and is not convincing when she sings. She will never be the mega star that Jessica will be...you can tell that industry people are rallying for Jessica to make it because she is going to make someone very rich. I think that America was totally wrong, and that is what the save is all about, to give those that truly deserve it a fighting chance and not leave it up to a population that votes based on popularity or feelings instead of true talent.