American Idol

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Who is the voting populace of AI? Mainly teen girls, hence Colton and Phillip. America got it wrong because they vote for the wrong reasons, or at least the wrong reasons when it comes to sheer talent. People vote for who they like and I think this was a bit of a wake up call for Jessica, who let's face it, is a bit of a diva (although humbled last night). This happens every season. One really stellar person doesn't get the votes and they get the save and the show goes on.

Based upon performances and consistency, Hollie should have been the one to go.

2. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I agree she is a total Diva LOL. Her mannerisims remind me exactly of Beyonce or Jennifer Hudson. Just her facial expressions.

Here is what is going to happen, next week Jessica & Joshua will perform last. Holly and Ellisse will go first. I have not voted for anyone this year only because I honestly do not like anyone that much. I can see how any of these people can win at this point.

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Jessica is very talented, but I just am not excited when she sings. I don't know how much longer she will stick around, even with the save this week. I do hope Joshua stays longer, I realy enjoyed his performance this week.

4. Chrissy Nelson

She is just too mechanical. When Joshua sings I can feel his emotion, same with Phillip and Colton. I think Elise has emotion too when she sings she just is not consistant enough for me.

I think to crank out a true pop start Jessica or Colton is their dream winners.

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I don't know...at this point you just got to know good people are going to start to go. Yes, Hollie should clearly be next. She has a beautiful voice but doesn't have it all. She is so darn cute though and you can tell she is a great person so her overall appearance has obviously won the hearts of many people. So many people here like Joshua but I think I only watched a handful of his performances. He just doesn't do it for me and I am bored to death. I enjoy listening to Jessica but I would never vote for her. So right now everyone has their favorite pick and anyone that goes is going to have a fan base that is bummed.

Would the judges have acted like that for everyone but Hollie (I don't think they love Philip either). When looking at the bottom three last night, Steven said they were using their card. But Elise was in the bottom three and one time they said she was the right one for the bottom two. I forgot who she was standing with that time.

Every once in a while, I check out VFTW. They are mean! But it is kind of interesting. I wonder how big their group is?

6. Chrissy Nelson

I was reading online the judges knew ahead who got the lowest votes.

7. Mama_Kim

I thought they always knew ahead of time.

8. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I always thought they learned when we learned who had the lowest votes. Thought only Ryan knew

9. Mama_Kim

Hmmm. I really don't know. I just always assumed they knew too and just staged a bit of surprise for the live show. I could be very wrong.

10. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

America can't get it wrong. It's not a test with a right answer. The person with the least votes goes. That's right. There are a lot of reasons people don't like Jessica. She's a great singer but boring IMO and kind of a teenage diva in a bad way. I also don't like Joshua. He just screams.

I don't love the save, but I guess it's part of the rules and they can do what they want. I did think their reaction was incredibly crappy for all the people who did get the votes.

2 people like this.
  11. Chrissy Nelson

Didn't they start the save that year after Chris Daughtery got voted off? I hope that Phillip does not win because I would hate to him him doing AI music. He needs to be doing his own thing. You want all American dream idol I think that would be Skylar. Country music makes my insides bleed but I have to give it to her she is a good performer and puts her heart into it. I think Jessica would be their other dream idol. Joshua is great but I cannot look at him without thinking of Lafayette on True Blood. Plus I just do not know what kind of radio music I could hear him singing. Same with Elisse, she has a great unique voice but I cannot hear her on the radio. If Colton wins he is going to be the Christian Rock artist.

12. Mama_Kim

Part of the reason why we have such trouble imagining them as artists on the radio is that we're never allowed to hear their own music. Several of them are singer / songwriters. I'd love to hear their original music.

13. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

My understanding is if they do win, they can make whatever album they want. American Idol does not force anyone to make music the directors like. Kelly Clarkson, wanted the music she is making albums out of, but the runner up, Justin Guarini did I think a blues or jazz album? I think some of the other winners actually went off to do their own stuff too. So if Phillips wins, I believe they will let him make the album he wants. The show only promises he can record an album....not the album of AI's choosing.

I still think Phillip is the best on there. He's the most original of all of them, and I really like his voice. I like Colton too. I like Colton as much as I like Josh at this point. It's interesting they seem to compare Colton to Phillip as the two hotties on there and the ones to beat. I really like Josh. I don't think he screams everything. He's just got a really powerful voice. I've heard screaming. Through college, some of my friends listened to heavy metal and thrash metal which means voices scream over the screaming guitars and I hate hate hated that! I was surprise about Jessica. Though I'm a little bored of her voice now, I don't think she's bad enough to be kicked off. She's got a lot of potential, and she's really got a chance to go further in the competition. I'm glad they saved her. Had Hollie been voted off, she would likely have not been saved. Hollie is so unsteady with her voice. She's a sweet girl with a great voice, but she is the weakest contestant there now. I hate how Elise is so often in the bottom three. She's got a good voice, however I do think the nerves get the better of her sometimes. She's more steady than Hollie is though.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mama_Kim

Is there a theme tonight?

15. sulik110202

Per google - The theme is Now & Then. One Billboard #1 hit from 2000 - 2012 plus a soul song from a previous decade. Not sure what classifies as a soul song, but I guess we will find out.

16. Mama_Kim

Thanks, Kathy!

17. twin_trip_mommy

Did not like Holly or Colton's first songs. Holly was better but not great. What is everyone thinking saying Colton did that song well? Elise was great with her first song. I did not like Phillip's first song. Maybe because I do not know the song. Had to rewind and pause the show so i am back to listening to Elise for those in my house that misses it.

18. Chrissy Nelson

I actually loved both of Coltons , Phillips and Joshua songs.

I thought HOlly did much better, not a fan of Elise tonight, Jessica was too much. Skylar is my favorite girl. She is a cute performer.

19. Mama_Kim

I loved the show tonight. It's clear that there is an abundance of talent this season because no one sucked! :lol:

1. Hollie Cavanagh - "Rolling in the Deep" (Adele) and "Son of a Preacher Man" (Dusty Springfield): she did great tonight! She really stepped it up and showed off that powerful voice of hers.

2. Colton Dixon - "Bad Romance" (Lady Gaga) and "September" (Earth Wind & Fire): loved the first song and was nice to see him rock again but September was a miss for me

3. Elise Testone - "No One" (Alicia Keys) and "Let's Get It On" (Marvin Gaye): she has such an amazing voice, liked the first song but she was a bit of a mess on the second, Jennifer nailed it with the vulnerability / emotional connection,; she is also the worst dresser on the show

4, Phillip Phillips - "You Got It Bad" (Usher) and "In the Midnight Hour" (Wilson Pickett): love, love, love him, so true to himself and fun, Steven's assessment of 'brilliantly awkward' is spot on

5. Jessica Sanchez - "Fallin'" (Alicia Keys) and "Try a Little Tenderness" (Otis Redding): phenomenal voice but I still just don't connect with her, she has outstanding vocals though

6. Skylar Laine - "Born This Way" (Lady Gaga) and "Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye): this girl has spunk and she knocked it out

7. Joshua Ledet - "I Believe" (Fantasia) and "A Change is Gonna Come" (Sam Cooke): stellar, love his big, powerful voice, he is ah-mazing

My least favorites tonight were Colton (sorry to say it) and Jessica (because I don't connect with her at all). I still think Hollie is in danger and possibly Elise.

I loved Phillip, Skylar, and Joshua (O.M.G.) tonight.

20. Chrissy Nelson

Thank you for posting the songs. I wait for you to post to steal your songs.

1. Hollie Cavanagh - "Rolling in the Deep" (Adele) and "Son of a Preacher Man" (Dusty Springfield): I really like her voice, also I don't know if her hair was different but she looked so much better.

2. Colton Dixon - "Bad Romance" (Lady Gaga) and "September" (Earth Wind & Fire):
    I really liked them both. September was unique and I really liked the version of Bad Romance

3. Elise Testone - "No One" (Alicia Keys) and "Let's Get It On" (Marvin Gaye):
    If she wears one more short skirt with a long sheer skirt I might scream. I love her voice but she has not captured me since the Zepplin song.

4, Phillip Phillips - "You Got It Bad" (Usher) and "In the Midnight Hour" (Wilson Pickett):
    Love him so much!! Again he makes me tense when he performs.

5. Jessica Sanchez - "Fallin'" (Alicia Keys) and "Try a Little Tenderness" (Otis Redding): I just do not like her. I just think it is the way she performs that turns me off.

6. Skylar Laine - "Born This Way" (Lady Gaga) and "Heard It Through the Grapevine" (Marvin Gaye): She is a firecracker. Love her even though I hate country

7. Joshua Ledet - "I Believe" (Fantasia) and "A Change is Gonna Come" (Sam Cooke): He is fantastic. He to me is my American Idol, his emotion, his voice...love love love.

So 2 go home tonight?? I am going to say the 2 bottom will be Jessica and Elise.

21. sulik110202

I loved both of Phillips songs last night. I also liked Colton's songs, but they weren't his best. I hope he is safe though because he is still a favorite of mine. I thought Skylar did great. I am not a fan of "Heard it through the Grapevine" but thought her country version great. I agree with what others have said about Jessica. Amazing talent, but I just don't like her.

I think the bottom three will be Elise, Hollie and Jessica. It will be tough eliminations from here on out, because they are all talented singers.

22. Chrissy Nelson

Right now I can see anyone except Elise and Holly winning.

23. twin_trip_mommy

I think Jessica, Colton and Skylar will be in the bottom 3 tonight.

Don't know who will win. America votes and there are no more saves by the judges to override that vote

24. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Holy cow! Beyond pissed! I wish they did not use their save. Tonight would have been the night to use it!

25. Mama_Kim

I am not that shocked. One mediocre night in the midst of such great singers can really mess it up. And it did. Still wish this person wasn't gone though as I think there was lots of potential. Living where they do, though, I believe that record execs may snap them up quickly!

26. Chrissy Nelson

I think he will be snatched up too. I am going to miss him doing something "different" every week.

27. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Since I'm not actually watching, who went home?

28. Mama_Kim

I guess it's okay this morning to say it was Colton Dixon.

29. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Not my boy Phil, phew! I need him to make the top two and then not win. :)

2 people like this.
  30. sulik110202

I was sad that Colton went home. He was on of my favorites, but he didn't have an outstanding night, so I can see how it happened. After last weeks performance and with Colton leaving, I will be pulling for Phillip to win.

31. twin_trip_mommy

he seemed the same every week to me emotionless and stiff. I was starting to not like the way he went bug eyed when he tried to show emotion.

I really thought two were supposed to go home this week. That was a nice surprise

32. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

It's not surprising really. He wasn't great. Shocking to go from never in the bottom three to gone, but he didn't have a good week.

33. Chrissy Nelson

Colton thinks his fans did not vote because he is Christian than sang a Lady Gaga song. He thinks he turned his fans off by doing that.

34. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

That's sill for Colton to think that. He's been singing songs from non-Christian artists all along (except one)...lady Gaga worse than some of the other artists that he's sang, I don't think so. Surprising he went home and I just don't know how Elise and Holly has made it this long. Love Elise's voice, but for some reason she seems extremely pushy to me...just a bad vibe from her. Holly is extremely sweet, but she really should have went home weeks ago. I like Colton's originality, but wasn't a fan this last time, however, I really don't think he should have went home. I love Skylar, I am not a fan of country music, but she is such a fun performer to watch and I could see me buying a record of hers.

35. Mama_Kim

She's not pushy, she's just a Jersey girl. :D I agree that it is silly for Colton to think that is why he went home. He had an off week and people just didn't like him as well as they liked others. I think slowly Elise and Hollie will get weeded out of the pack too. But it really is almost anyone's game right now since they are all so talented and appeal to different niches.

1 person likes this.