American Idol

Discussion in 'General' started by dfaut, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

Watch Holly win the whole thing. What is the theme this week?

2. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Theme this week - One song by Queen and one song of their choice.

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this could be really awesome or really awful. Trying to imagine really any of them singing Queen is hard.

4. Mama_Kim

Oh did I just hear that Brian May and Roger Taylor will be on the show? Yay! [​IMG]

5. Mama_Kim

Oh a thought just occurred to me. Is there a chance we could see Adam tomorrow night? With Brian and Roger maybe? One can hope!

6. Chrissy Nelson

I will wait for Kim to post the songs bc I am jut too lazy to. Kim I thought the same thing about Adam being on tomorrow!!

I have been trying to vote for Josh & Phillip and cannot get through. This is my first time voting all season.

7. Mama_Kim

Well they stepped it up on the Queen songs. I was afraid but they did well! Kudos to all of them!

1. Jessica Sanchez - "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Dance With My Father" (Luther Vandross): what can I say? She obviously has an excellent voice but no real stage presence yet; I actually wish she would go home as I find her the least interesting contestant at this point, but she has an impeccable, nearly perfect, voice. Wish she had chosen a different song for her second because I love Luther but hate this song.

2. Skylar Laine - "The Show Must Go On" and "Tattoos on This Town" (Jason Aldean): this girl is a firecracker and has spunk. I hate country but as much as I do, I really love her. I don't think she did as well as the judges seemed to think but she was enjoyable and is a true performer and very comfortable on stage which works in her favor. As much as I disliked Lauren Alaina last season, I really like Skylar this season. She is a contender.

3. Joshua Ledet - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Ready For Love" (India.Arie): I loved him, totally loved him, best of the night overall for me. He has such an amazingly powerful voice. I wish he'd let his personality out a bit more when they interview him as he seems so quiet and shy, but when he sings? Man, the heavens open! His version of Ready For Love was just spectacular. Amazing!

4. Elise Testone - "I Want It All" and "Bold As Love" (Jimi Hendrix): loved her on the Queen song, totally in her zone (Freddie would have been proud!). This was fantastic! The Jimi song was good too but totally wrong song choice to showcase her voice. Jimi was a guitar player, not known for his singing. Why pick a song that does not showcase the vocals? But, having said that, she still did an amazing job. (But I still hate her styling.)

5. Phillip Phillips - "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "The Stone" (Dave Matthew Band): he was awkward for me tonight, even on FBG (one of my all time favorite Queen songs) but I did like him if I just didn't have to look at him when he sings. I hate, hate, hate DMB (did I mention hate?) so did not really enjoy the second song at all - painful - but if you like that then I think you will still like Phillip. I just didn't love it. At all.

6. Hollie Cavanagh - "Save Me" and "The Climb" (Miley Cyrus): first, she looked so amazing in both the red suit and the dress. Really pretty. She has this huge, amazing voice, and I thought she did great last night, but overall she is not my genre generally so I don't love her. Her stage presence still needs work because as at ease as Skylar is on stage, Hollie is still a bit awkward and shy, but getting better. Chrissy, she just might win. Who knows? I really hate The Climb too. So overdone.

My three favorites, in order, were: Joshua, Elise, and Skylar

In danger (for me) are: Jessica, Phillip (*sniff*). and Hollie.

I loved Julianne Hough's on camera embarrassment. That was cute. And I love some of Steven's comments (man, he looked hot for an old man last night!): "You can't pick the cherries with your back to the tree" (to Elise), I also agree with his assessment at the end, do what you do and let the people decide. Gotta be true to who you are as an artist. So true.

8. Chrissy Nelson

Thank you Kim!!

1. Jessica Sanchez - "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Dance With My Father" (Luther Vandross): I did not like her doing Bohemian Rhapsody. I am not sure what it was, just felt she was trying to hard and ended up screaming. I have to disagree with Jennifer Lopez saying Dance With my Father was the bet sange by Jessica. I think Jeica is a good inger but I feel her stage presence is just strange.

2. Skylar Laine - "The Show Must Go On" and "Tattoos on This Town" (Jason Aldean): Kim I agree with you on her. I have to say I want her to win. She has it all. The fact that she is so young is amazing. She jut flows with it and comes out wonderful. I still and always will hate country.

3. Joshua Ledet - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and "Ready For Love" (India.Arie): I love him. He is such a throw back, adorable and fantastic.

4. Elise Testone - "I Want It All" and "Bold As Love" (Jimi Hendrix): First song was great, second song was just strange for me. Devon said she is a rockin Jewell with the inflection in her voice.

5. Phillip Phillips - "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "The Stone" (Dave Matthew Band): I am waiting for that vein in his forehead to just pop. Tonight was not his best night but I still love him.

6. Hollie Cavanagh - "Save Me" and "The Climb" (Miley Cyrus): I really liked her tonight and agree her styling was great. Not sure what they have done to her but she looks so pretty.

My three favorites, in order, were: Joshua, Skylar & Holly

In danger (for me) are: Jessica, Phillip (*sniff*). and Elise.

I think Elise will go home.

9. Mama_Kim

At your service, ma'am! :D

10. Chrissy Nelson

My favorite part of the show was Steven Van Zandt in the audience.

1 person likes this.
  11. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I loved elise's rendition of the Jimmy song...thought it was totally cool. Loved Joshua..my husband being the music man he is had me look up Sam Cook on youtube before Randy ever said a word. He thought he sounded so much like him. I agree, Kim, that Phillip just looked uncomfortable, as I think he always does, when he doesn't have his guitar. A little part of me thinks he did that Dave Matthew's song because every one keeps comparing him to Dave Matthew's. Liked Skylar's first song, did not like her second, however, she is really consistent from week to week and was really good. Jessica does nothing for me. Last week Jimmy says she is doing songs too old for her, this week she does Luther Vandross...hello, a little old for her. Still not a Hollie fan, but she is very cute

12. Chrissy Nelson

I think out of everyone the right one went home tonight. I was sad Adam was not on there.

13. Mama_Kim

I would have preferred the first person declared safe to go home but was not surprised at the outcome.
    I had really hoped for Adam too since he has a new cd out in May. :(

14. Chrissy Nelson

I agree Kim, but the 1st person sent back to safety has been a little more consistant every week.

15. Mama_Kim

Exactly. And I believe that the person who did go home went home because of a lack of consistency. And for some reason this person's personality didn't come through easily on camera either so people didn't feel a connection.

16. Chrissy Nelson

I love that we are speaking all top secret!! I feel like spys. LOL. I think alot of the contestants personalities are not coming through this year. Joshua is really the only one that when he sings.

17. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I broke down and googled to see who went home since you ladies weren't giving it up. ;)

18. Mama_Kim

Jennifer has me so freaked out on FB about spilling the beans that I feel like I can never say what happened! :lol:

ELISE TESTONE went home!!!!!

(*whew* That felt good! ;) )

2 people like this.
  19. Chrissy Nelson

let it all our Kim!!!

1 person likes this.
  20. Utopia122

21. Mama_Kim

FYI, Chrissy, you are on your own this week I will be out of town. :D

22. Chrissy Nelson

NOOO Kim that means I will actually have to pay attention to the show.

23. Chrissy Nelson

Well all I have to say about last night was poor Phillip. Time of The Season was good until the chorus, way too high for him. His duet w/ joshua was so uncomfortable.

Speaking of Joshua, wow!!! He was amazing but his second song by the BeeGees was AMAZING. It really did almost bring a tear to my eye.

I just do not like Jessica, I think she tries too hard to be like Beyonce. Holly was super good and Skylar was well Skylar.

Bottom 2 is jessica and Phillip with possibly Jessica going home.

24. Mama_Kim

So what was the theme this week? I missed the whole thing.

25. Chrissy Nelson

Songs from the 60's and then one from a British singer...

Holly- Ike & Tina's "River Deep, Mountain High" & Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love," ... She was AMAZING tonight. Best she has ever been. She looked great too.

Jessica- Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" & Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful"... I felt her Proud mary was too copy cat and that she was trying too hard. I just am not into her.

Skylar- CCR's "Fortunate Son," & Dusty Springfield's "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," ... She did what she does, nothing new.

Phillip- Box Tops' "The Letter," & Zombies' "Time of the Season."... he did his own take on "The Letter" which was alright, but "Time of The Season" was painful when he hit those high notes.

Joshua- Temptations' "Ain't Too Proud to Beg," & Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody"... Amazing on the Temptations (a little distracted by the large breasted lady that was dancing behind him) but "To Love Somebody" was beyond amazing.

And I have to say Steven Van Zandt was the best mentor so far. I love him.

26. Utopia122

AHHHHHH....not happy!!

27. Chrissy Nelson

I was shocked with who went home bc I thought they would be in the final. However you have to mix it up everyweek or things become boring.

28. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

You are so mean!!! Off to google I go!

1 person likes this.
  29. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

yeah... surprised here too. You can tell the judges wished the other one went home and even the safe contestants just kind of had blank faces.

30. Chrissy Nelson

At this stage though I personally think they are all so good. Anyone of them have an audience out there.

Holly is the only one to me that has the all around "look". Joshua has the voice, Phillip would be great on the Indie Alternative market. Jessica is a diva that would be good in pop.

31. Mama_Kim

OK, WHO went home? No time to google, lol!

Chrissy, thanks for the song listing. I'll be watching when I get back home! :D

32. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say, but Skylar went home. I did not want her to go, but she will have a successful country music career for sure.

33. Mama_Kim

Oh wow, that's a shocker. I thought for sure she would make the finale.

Thank you!

34. Chrissy Nelson

Joshua is the MAN!!! for real he is amazing. Phillips second song was great. I still do not like Jessica, she has a great voice but I get zero feeling out of her when she sings. I honestly get emotional when Joshua sings. Holly is going home.

35. Mama_Kim

These four really are super talented and quite different from one another. It is really going to be a race to the finish.

ROUND ONE

1. Phillip Phillips - "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" (CCR): I agree there was a little something Joe Cocker about this performance, he did a great job, although it was not necessarily my favorite performance of his, I loved Steven's expression, "The road to success is always under construction," as there is always room for improvement.

2. Hollie Cavanagh - "Faithfully" (Journey): she has really overcome her fear and timidity when singing, she did sing this pretty well but I really was not impressed

3. Joshua Ledet - "You Raise Me Up" (Josh Groban): very inspirational song choice for him, he is so cute and that voice! Loved the Stevenism again, "Courage is fear that said its prayers." I just love Josh!

4. Jessica Sanchez - "Steal Away" (Etta James): Wow, I loved this bluesy turn she took but I have to say her outside does not match the voice that comes out of her, she is only 16 and it just is such a paradox to look at her and then hear that voice, almost disturbingly unnatural

DUETS:

Phillip & Joshua: "This Love" (Maroon 5): they are cute together, so different but somehow fun
    Jessica & Hollie: "Eternal Flame" (The Bangles): kind of on the same page with Randy, this didn't really work for me

ROUND TWO

1. Phillip Phillips - "Volcano" (Damien Rice): I loved this! What a great song choice for him, just beautiful, my favorite performance of his ever!

2. Hollie Cavanagh - "I Can't Make You Love Me" (Bonnie Raitt): this is such a gut wrenching song and I just did not feel it from Hollie

3. Joshua Ledet - "It's a Man's Man's Man's World" (James Brown): Smokin'! O.M.G. This song was perfect for him. He is the man! Yowza!!

4. Jessica Sanchez - "And I'm Telling You" (Jennifer Holliday): What an instrument this girl possesses! That was fierce and so emotional. I still don't love her but she really dug deep and gave that her all. I teared up right with her at the end there. She is only 16!! Just amazing. She is not my favorite but she does deserve to be there. No doubt.

It is a no brainer. The Final 3 should be Phillip, Joshua, and Jessica. Hollie should go home. But we'll see.