Amniotic Fluid leak - how do I know?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ReallyTiredMom, Nov 26, 2006.

1. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

The last few days I have experienced something that could possibly be amniotic fluid leaking. I go to the DR tomorrow - so I will ask. But, has anyone had this and how could you tell? I have been told it may be nothing but a little urine leaking, but I haven't experienced that ever before. Sorry - this is a little TMI - I have NOT had any contractions or anything abnormal physically, unless you count the body slam from my 3 year old a few days ago! (it wasn't all that bad, but it did startle me!)

2. ReallyTiredMom

The last few days I have experienced something that could possibly be amniotic fluid leaking. I go to the DR tomorrow - so I will ask. But, has anyone had this and how could you tell? I have been told it may be nothing but a little urine leaking, but I haven't experienced that ever before. Sorry - this is a little TMI - I have NOT had any contractions or anything abnormal physically, unless you count the body slam from my 3 year old a few days ago! (it wasn't all that bad, but it did startle me!)

3. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

When I had my dd at 40 +1 wks, my labor started when my "water broke". For me, I was laying down when it first happened. It felt like a rush a fluid, so I quickly stood up to run to the bathroom. The fluid kept running out slowly and steadily on my walk to the bathroom. Soaking my underwear and pantyliner, but not running down my legs. It was clear and didn't smell like urine, so I was pretty sure it was my amniotic sac. After the initial rush a fluid, it stopped. Then every 10 mins. or so I would feel little trickles, but had no more rushes of fluid leaking. Some say this is because the baby's head descends down into the pelvis more and plugs the leak, stopping the flow of fluid. As the baby moves or you move, more fluid can trickle out.
    Since your feeling a slow trickle and it is hard to tell whether it is amniotic fluid or just a little urine or discharge, your doctor will probably look at your cervix to see if it is dilated and do a swab of the fluid to test it and make a definitive diagnosis. Hopefully because you are just 28 wks, it is only one of the latter. HTH! Keep us posted on how your visit goes tomorrow!

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

when my water broke with my ds - I had been sitting on the side of the bed - when I stood up it trickled out - it didn't gush until I
    got to the doctor and she checked me. If you think it could be amniotic fluid I would call and someone will call you back - you may need to go to L&D to be checked - I wouldn't wait.

5. Beth R

Beth R Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you cant tell what it is by looking. Your ob can do a test in the office. It could just be discharge but I wouldn't wait.
    Let us know what it is.

Hugs,
    Beth

6. AWillow

AWillow Well-Known Member

I was going through the same thing. My panties were always wet, not soaked but wet. I smelled it and it smelled like urine. So for me it wasn't amniotic fluid. I only leaked urine while one of the boys was head down. He has flipped and has feet near my bladder now. but I odn't leak urine anymore.

So even though you weren't leaking before, maybe one of your kids is now in a position that is making you leak urine.

I'd still ask your OB, just be on the safe side. I have a friend that did leak amniotic fliud, she ended up on hospitol bedrest for months and still delivered early. ASK. better safe then sorry.

7. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

You can't really tell for sure but the test at the docs is as simple as a piece of lithmus paper. If you are concerned I would call and get it tested. I did that once, it was not fluid but I am glad I got it checked out.

8. ReallyTiredMom

Thanks for the responses - I did get it checked out today and it was fine. Probably just urine or something - hard to tell what's going on down there these days! I guess if there was evidence of amniotic leakage, it would have been hospital bedrest. I'm very thankful! But, the best advice, when in doubt, always ask!

9. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Good to know!!! Glad everything turned out OK!!!