And now...for fun!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Do you have their first day of school outfit planned? :D This is what I love the most!! :Clap: My girls don't have too many opinions about what they wear yet, aside from one asking for "soft" clothing. So I try to buy leggings and tunics or t-shirt type tops for the most part, with a few sparkles thrown in here and there for my glittery girl.

We went through the stuff they have for fall, and some of their summer stuff, and picked out 2 outfits. Since this time of year is so iffy with weather, it could be 65 or 85. So, together the girls and I picked out a "cold" weather outfit and a "warm" weather outfit. :woohoo:

What are your plans for first day of school outfit, or do you let your kiddos just pick whatever they want?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

i have a boy. It will be a pair of his plaid shorts and a polo shirt.

3. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

He always get a few new outfits (usually courtesy of the grandparents!) and gets to pick which one he wants to wear on the first day. This year it is a plaid button down shirt (a little retro looking) and tan cargo shorts. Last year he had a 1st day outfit and a 2nd day outfit that were both new that he picked out. He's very fashion conscious and really enjoys wearing "cool" clothes. :bubble:

4. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I'll let my girls pick. And it will most likely be dresses, because they love to wear dresses. They don't go to kindi until 9/7, so we aren't talking outfits yet. We've gotten backpacks, lunch bags, and supplies so far.

5. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'll see what falls out of the closet. I don't really do the back to school clothes thing. Their shirts and shorts still fit from this summer and the end of school last year, so that's what they get. Timothy will probably pick some athletic shorts that he loves dearly because he always wears them first if they're clean (he has 3 different pairs of them). For a shirt, there are a couple of favorites. Sarah might pick a dress, but probably will go for her knit capri's. They won't know if they're having p.e. or not and Sarah doesn't like to wear dresses on p.e. days (every 3rd day). So, they'll both wear their tennis shoes in hopes that they are the class that gets p.e. on the first day of school instead of art or music.

Marissa

6. MichelleL

Susan, do you have them wear something (bike shorts, etc.) under their dresses when it's too warm for leggings or tights? I was curious about wearing dresses and going out on the playground.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls love dresses right now, and I usually have them wear bike shorts under. This will probably be their first day of school outfit too. Now I have to convince my girly girl (Ana) to wear sneakers with her dress. To her that is just unimaginable. She likes her sandals. I can't believe my lady bugs are starting school in 4 weeks :cry:

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

um...uniforms...not much to pick from although it will probably be warm enough for Ian to wear shorts...they'll have their choice of Khaki's or navy blue and if they want to wear dress shoes or sneakers...

I just got Abby some really cute knee and ankle frilly socks - at least they have that much choice!

29 days!!! I can't wait!

9. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Most of the school clothes I buy are for fall and its usually still too warm to wear them the first month .. so they go to school in their summer clothes. I remember when my girls were little though .. they could wear a new outfit each day for 2 weeks straight ! I used to go a bit over board .. but girls are SO much more fun to buy for ! Boys ... more challenging. :)

10. MichelleL

I *almost* said something about your uniforms in my OP because obviously there isn't much choice there!! :lol: Good that you can accessorize a little!!

11. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Tony is wearing jeans, with a button down shirt and this vest. :good: It's really cute and he looks great in it! :good:

I still haven't picked out anything for Angie... gotta keep looking.

I know they don't have to be dressed up but I can't help it... it's on of those things that just stuck from my mom. :blush:

12. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Probably a dress. There nana just bought a whole bunch of new ones

13. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No idea. They don't start back until 9/7 and I am going to stay in denial that summer is ending until snow starts falling! :lol:

14. MichelleL

Too funny Liz, I was just thinking the same thing this morning...about dressing up. We always did when I was growing up and the things I picked out are super cas. and I would love for them to be a little more dressy and then we can save it for church.

15. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I know I'm not Susan, but I still thought I'd chime in with what my DD does. :) She does wear bike shorts under her dresses or skirts. We call them "shorties"; I'm not sure if that is a term I made up, or if I heard it somewhere and adopted it. It seemed appropriate for her not to be showing her panties (or more, since at this age her panties are sometimes lose around the legs) off every time she sits, climbs, swings, jumps, etc. I know that when I taught Kindergarten there were many times I had to remind my little girls to keep their knees together when we were on the rug because they were wearing dresses/skirts with only panties under. Most of the kids never paid any attention, but there was always one of two that would make a big deal out of seeing the panties.

My kids start school in 2.5 weeks. We haven't done any school clothes shopping, but I am hoping to do a bit of that this week. There are just a few things each child needs. All of their summer outfits will work just fine, but my boys have no nice pants/jeans that fit or don't have holes in the knees. My DD needs a couple new skirts because she's outgrown most of her old ones, and maybe one or two new jeans. All need new socks! I hate buying socks! They just seem so expensive for something so boring!

16. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Chime in here too.....we wear fitted bike shorts under all dresses and always have for the past 2-3 years (since graduated from diaper covers)

We have all sorts of colors from Walmart ($3 or so) so they can match our outfits.

It is just the way it is in our house! They LOVE dresses, but also love to tumble and play on the playground....makes life easier that way.

Chime in here too.....we wear fitted bike shorts under all dresses and always have for the past 2-3 years (since graduated from diaper covers)

We have all sorts of colors from Walmart ($3 or so) so they can match our outfits.

It is just the way it is in our house! They LOVE dresses, but also love to tumble and play on the playground....makes life easier that way.

17. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We have uniforms here too, so no special outfits.

18. MichelleL

Chime in ladies, thank you!! :Clap:

19. AmynTony

I make Abby wear bike shorts if its a really short dress or under any dress if we're going to the park or anything - if we're just in the house I don't care...

20. MichelleL

I guess I've never thought of it before now because mine wear mostly shorts unless we're going to church or a party and then it's rare so I've never thought about underneath. Guess it's time to think about covering up the hooha's huh? :blush: :lol:

21. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Michelle, you crack me up that you already have outfits picked out. Love it. :wub:

We don't have first day of school outfits picked out yet. It will still be hot here until at least the end of Sept. and a bit into Oct. Trevor will wear shorts and a shirt and I'm sure Emilie will wear a skirt or dress. I will let them help choose what they want to wear. Hadn't even thought about bike shorts under a dress for Emilie since Caroline doesn't wear them, I don't think she ever did either. Hmm, something to think about.

22. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We don't have our outfits yet. Gabe won't care as long as it's not itchy. lol The girls like to dress up. They don't usually wear dresses on gym day, but other days they wear bike shorts or something we found at Target last year called Monkey Bar shorts. They really like those.

http://www.target.com/Girls%E2%80%99-Monkeybar-Buddies-Shorts/dp/B0028C3M3K

23. MichelleL

I know Amy, I'm so bad! :blush:

Oh, I like those Melissa! Thanks for sharing the link!

24. AmynTony

WOW - $16 for bike shorts...no way!!! I can get them at children's place for $5 or less!!!!

2 people like this.
  25. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I didn't pay $16 for a pair of them. We got them last year and I believe they came in a pack of 3 for around $16. Maybe they were on sale, but I was just posting the first link I found so other people could see what I was talking about. But if people like them, they should look around for better prices for sure. What my girls like about them is that they are kind of satiny and have the bows and more pastel colors. DD2 has issues with seams and some underwear that rubs her bottom the wrong way - it causes her eczema to flare up really bad. These don't cause her any issues and she will sometimes just wear these as undies. DD1 can wear other bike shorts easier than DD1 can.

26. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

No outfit picked out but I did buy them new clothes. :blush: And MIL is going to want to buy them new stuff next weekend too. :blush: I have a serious shopping problem. So once we have all their new stuff I'll let them pick out what to wear the first day. I'm sure they'll want to wear a dress though, b/c they pretty much live in them. We also do bike shorts under dresses for school and playground. :good:

27. MichelleL

Have you ever seen them online? I just looked all over their website and couldn't find any. :( I hope it's not a seasonal thing! :faint:

28. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Did you check out gymboree Michelle? I got my girls a bunch of bike shorts there last spring for like $5 each.

29. MichelleL

Yes, they do have some right now for $5.99, but in unusual colors, and no purple. We need purple! :lol:

I just remembered they have one pair of jegging type, so those will do until we can find some others. :good:

30. KCMichigan

Walmart!!

they were regular price 3.87 last week----hot pink, purple, yellow, white, black, green, turquoise, and pale pink. Got a bunch on sale last year for $2.

Not satiny, but fit well and have washed well. They do run small FWIW, but my kiddos are small so it works. We got a 4/5 last summer--- still wearing this summer (they are 5) but will need new ones for next year. They lie flat under clothes and dont bunch.

For Undies-- Childrens Place has great ones for those DDs that may have excema- wide bands and flat stitching to prevent rubbing and/or irritation.

31. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I need to buy some bike shorts. A lot of what they wear in the summer are skorts, but for actual dresses, I really need to find some bike shorts. I think I'll check out Walmart!

32. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

I'm laughing that you already have their outfits picked out Michelle....but only because I remember doing the same thing at the same age. Now that we are heading to middle school....it will be whatever they pick out the night before. Notice I said THEY PICK OUT. Yeah at 10 I don't get to choose what they wear anymore. :( I do however have veto power and I'm the one who pays for it so I do make sure that what they have is appropriate for school.

As for what to wear under dresses, we still do the shorts under the dresses. Especially for Cassie, she still thinks she's a boy even in a dress!!! LOL! Holly choses to wear shorts under her dresses, for comfort.

33. AmynTony

34. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'm suprised more people haven't said uniforms. The last couple of years on TS has given me the impression that school uniforms were on the rise in the US.
    My girls are changing schools so we will be shelling out for new uniforms.

35. KCMichigan

THESE SHORTS are the ones we got...only in bigger sizes! Our Walmart had them in Garanimal brand (up to 5) and Danskin (start at xs).

They are tight on the leg so no 'seeing up the shorts' and thin flat waist so no bunching or lumps. They are longer than some knit shorts too so we use them as part of the 'outfit' for long tunics/shorter dresses too since you can see them, it looks cute!

Regular knit shorts have gaping leg holes for my skinny kiddos so we have to go the bike short route. The shorts posted by Amy have thicker waists and looser legs (we have a few) but may be less confining but more comfortable for some kids.

Target had some too- but they were 5$ + or so (Champion brand) vs Walmarts 3-4$.