And the award for the worst mother of the year goes to...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Aeliza, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

ME!! WOOHOO!!! :80:

I'm such an idiot! The boys went to their gym class this morning. We were there early so the staff let them play for a bit before starting class. There was a setup where there was a ladder leading up to a 4' high platform that lead to a ball pit. They do stuff like that all the time. Cameron made his way up it and was walking back and forth on the platform. I was standing there with him and Kiefer wanted to get up the ladder. I helped him down so he can climb and WOOMP! Cameron slips and falls off the 4' platform flat on his top of his head on the floor :eek:! The floor is matted, but still, not exactly a soft landing. He screamed for about 1 minute then all was ok. He didn't throw up, faint, or act funny or fatigued in any way. He was alright, thank goodness. We continued through the class and went home. He laid down for a nap and we called his chiropractor. I didn't bother with his doctor cause I knew what they'd say. If he wasn't doing any of the things I listed above, they don't need to see him. He did have a bit of a knot/egg on the top of his head, but was alright by doctor's standards. He saw the chiropractor who did see a compression injury in his cervical spine (neck at the base of the head). That may have caused him some problems later on in life. I had the same injury and never had anyone look at it. I had the same fall in gymnastics! I knew what he was talking about. I too only cried for a minute and my neck was fine at the time, but soon afterwards the problems set in. I am glad I saw him. Cameron may not have had the same problems I did, but I'm glad I had him looked at anyhow.

Sigh...that's not all.

We came home from the chiropractor visit. Kiefer got up from his nap and he had a drink. I gave Cameron some Juice and Kiefer some milk. Cameron already had his milk before the doctor's, but I didn't want him feeling left out. After juice/milk time, Kiefer wanted to look out the window and pulled me to his window. I got the brilliant idea of opening this window. I didn't open it wide at all. I didn't think they could fit in there. Apparently, the girl that was in that room before I moved in had written some little comments in pencil on the windowsill. I started to read them. Things like so-and-so was here, Blah and Blah BFFL, and so on. I looked up and there was Cameron halfway out the window :shok: ! We are on the second floor. I can't believe how stupid I was :fool: !! Well, I won't be opening those windows again any time soon!! :headbang:

I'm having a hard time with this. He's alright, he didn't fall and I caught him before he leaned out any more than he did, but today has been a disaster for me. Watching him fall on his head at 4' was bad enough. The last thing I needed was to find him falling on his head 2 stories high!!! I am glad that tomorrow is coming soon. I'll have both boys tomorrow. I could have had only one after what happened today!! I should count my blessings.

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:hug: You are not a bad mom!!!!! I can't imagine how scared you must have been for both things but don't blame yourself, kids do this stuff!
    I'm glad he's okay though, but don't be too hard on yourself. :hug:

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

:hug: Momma! Please don't beat yourself up! Accidents happen! He is OK, and that is what matters. :hug:

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up, that stuff happens. That being said, I would really say something at the gym, it sounds insane to me that they would give access to non-protected platforms 4 feet high to toddlers.

5. silver_stardust

silver_stardust Well-Known Member

:hug: Oh how scary! I'm so glad to hear that he's okay! AND YOU'RE NOT A BAD MOMMA!!! Hope your day is better tomorrow!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: Please do not beat yourself up Eliza, you are not a bad Mom! I hope tomorrow is a better day for you :hug:

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

You are not a bad mom!! Toddlers are so fast and impulsive. I am glad he is ok.

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: oh sweetie! please don't beat yourself up - he's okay. you are a GREAT mother. :hug:

9. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

If we all kept track of the inevitable mistakes we make as parents, we'd drive ourselves crazy! You are a wonderful mother--it's obvious how much you love your boys. Please ease up on yourself :hug:

10. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

ITA with this!! These little guys are so active and curious and do stuff you'd never expect, or do things WAY before you thought they could! I think I have my heart in my throat just about every day with "near misses" and tumbles my guys have. :hug:

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You ARE NOT a bad mom!!
    Things like this happen...they just do.
    It's so obvious that you love your boys very much and have their best interest in mind. Give yourself a break, none of us are perfect. I am sorry you had such a scare, and I hope today is a better day for you.
    *hugs*