Angel Care Monitors for Twins?

Discussion in 'General' started by LHigh, Dec 22, 2010.

1. LHigh

LHigh Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone. This is the first time I've written in although I have been reading here all through my pregnancy. You guys are so thorough that every time I came here to ask a question it would have already been answered! So first of all, thank you all for being such a good resource for me throughout the pregnancy.

We had our twins on 12/16, original due date 1/21. We delivered early because Twin A, our boy, suddenly started dropping off in weight and then at my last NST his fluids had dropped significantly from three days before. Both twins are in NICU but basically as feeders/growers -- right now, we just have to get them to feed on their own and to kick their jaundice and we'll get to take them home. I have read many glowing reviews of the Angel Care Monitors on this forum and we've decided to get them in preparation for them coming home. They'll be in a co-sleeper beside our bed for a while, then two to a crib -- so how do you do that? Is there enough space to buy two separate monitors and have each baby sleep on their own little monitoring board? Does it interfere with the efficacy of the monitors to have them both in the same crib/co-sleeper? If you could share any experiences you've had with the Angel Care Monitors when both babies were in the same sleeping space I would appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the help in the past -- you've all gotten me through many a dark night.

2. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Congrats on two healthy babies who will be home soon!

They need to be in separate beds for them to work cause they sensor pads detect any movement from the mattress--and that movement could be from either twin.

3. LHigh

LHigh Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the quick answer. That's what I thought -- I'm disappointed! They haven't even seen each other since delivery -- my NICU doesn't co-sleep and they're on completely opposite sides of the room (though one of the nurses said she would work on getting them closer together so I could hold them together). I am so looking forward to reuniting them but feel like I need the security of the Angel Monitors in order to not hover over them at all times, counting their breaths. I know that there is a movement monitor that requires a sensor to be clipped to the diaper, but I'm guessing it would have the same problem -- that the sensor could actually be picking up movement from the other baby instead of the one wearing it. I suppose I'm going to have to decide between having them sleep together and the monitors.

THANKS so much for your help and congratulations! I really appreciate it!

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Oh that is awful! Mine were always right next to each other, and every time they got moved, both of them moved. But I didn't get to hold both together until DD was ready to go home.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had success with them in the same crib. I put them on the lowest sensitivity setting and would put one baby in and see if the other monitor would go off and it always would. Play around with it. :)

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No experience with those but I have heard many moms on here say how great they are! One of mine came home on an apnea monitor and when her brother came home a month later without a monitor I attached one lead to one baby and one to the other so I felt safer...I didn't do that for long though bc that was a lot of work.
    I feel your pain on the nicu....mine were spread apart as well. I was so upset because there were like 3 other sets of twins in there all next to each other. I always felt guilty sitting at one's bedside and leaving the other by themselves. I got to hold them together for the first time when they were 10 weeks old...I was so jealous of other people that had a nicu that really worked hard to get their babies right next to each other. We had over 35 beds in ours and it was always full.

Good luck and I hope they come home soon!!!

7. LHigh

LHigh Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for the info, the good wishes, and the sympathy -- it really does help to know others have been through this before!!!

8. aussiemom

aussiemom Administrator Staff Member TS Moderator

To find out more about the different monitors for twins, check out this post.