Angelo's Update..

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babymOmmax2, Mar 25, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

September 08's open heart surgery - CHECK! March's Thumb Surgery - CHECK! Angelo has been through A LOT and we're not quite done yet unfortunately. He just got his cast off due to a deformed thumb at birth & it looks great! He has a small splint on that will stay on for 2 weeks. He's been so immobile with that hand for the last month, that he still doesn't know what to do with it - but we're working on it! Today, went had an appointment with the urologist. Because of his heart condition at birth, he wasn't able to get circumcised because they didn't want to put stress on his heart. He was also born with a defective penis. The hole is more to the side & his penis, in non-medical terms, is almost as if it was sideways, so they'll need to twist it into place. Because it wasn't done at birth, it won't look totally like it should, but he said that they will do the best they can. To top it all off, the urologist told me he wishes he knew about it sooner because it could have been done while he was already under anesthesia & performed the surgery when his thumb was getting done! I was HEATED! Now, he has to have ANOTHER surgery towards the end of the summer because of the missed communication. Geez, but that will be 3 surgeries in a year for little man and but hopefully the end to it all!

ETA : His circumcision is also considered 'cosmetic' now, which is REDIC! It's not like we chose not to have it done at birth but due to medical issues, it couldn't be done! I don't think it's fair that we should have to pay a big chunk of money to get this done now :huh:

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

poor little guy-been through so much already!
    (I would have been heated about not doing it at the same time!)

Hang it there mama-I know this all has to be tough on you too.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Hugs to you - that stinks that he needs another surgery rather than getting it all done at the same time. I know circumcision is a hot topic, and I don't mean to start a debate... but if it's going to cost a lot of money, have you thought about just not having him circumcised?

4. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

:hug: Poor little guy and poor Mommy too! DS had similar surgery when he was around 6 months old. It sounds like Angelo's is more severe. Our surgeon was great and his penis looks very "normal" now if there is such a thing in the realm of penis'. :D

5. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Mar 25 2009, 11:20 AM) [snapback]1243750[/snapback]
    Hugs to you - that stinks that he needs another surgery rather than getting it all done at the same time. I know circumcision is a hot topic, and I don't mean to start a debate... but if it's going to cost a lot of money, have you thought about just not having him circumcised?

I just don't want him growing up thinking he's 'different' in that aspect than his brother & feel ashamed..

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor little guy! :hug: :hug: Another surgery...I hope this is the last one for the rest of life!

7. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Hugs to you and to Angelo. Poor little guy has been through so much. Lots of hugs.

Dianna

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: That sounds like a really annoying situation to be in. :hug: for Angelo and all the surgeries.